• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Froggish

One thought, one note:

- Sonny Dykes has not signed that extension yet... Wonder if it is still on his desk?

- The Big 12's future as a true "Power 5" member (or not) is starting to impact the coaching carousel in the conference, and TCU isn't excluded from the impact.
Dykes looking more and more like SMU will no longer be home.

So essentially we are being negatively recruited against by the other conferences. Fun...

WIN

Maybe the past predicts something about the courses of employment of former coaches.

The late former coach Fred Taylor took a job outside the football program. I don't remember whether it was outside the athletic department or not. IIRC his duties included (1) showing up at alumni functions and shaking hands, and (2) acting as a paperweight (no personal computers in those days; we used lots more paper than most people use today).

Seriously, he may have had something to do in fundraising, but he was definitely not front and center as a fundraiser.

I don't remember any of the few football players that were personal acquaintances of mine ever saying anything uncomplimentary or unkind about Coach Taylor (other than the mild grousing about coaches that I suspect most college athletes do). Some of his assistant coaches and other functionaries in the football program, on the other hand, were soundly disliked. Stories of bad behavior by those fellows began to circulate after their TCU employment was terminated and they were no longer in a position to retaliate against tellers of tales.

In those days, football head coaches' compensation was this side of the stratosphere, and Coach Taylor possibly wanted a post-football job to keep his household lights on. AND, IIRC Coach Taylor was a tenured faculty member, and TCU may therefore have owed him employment of some sort right up to retirement.

I was a student in times around and near those happenings, really at the end of old-time TCU football that was last great in the Abe Martin era. TCU attempted a modern re-start with Coach Pittman, and most of us know how that worked out at least in the pre-Franchione days.

David McWilliams is a fired UTx football head coach that stuck around his university, post-football. He is or was (don't know whether he's retired these days) a damn good fund-raiser. One of those people who, face-to-face, is hard not to like. IIRC he was one of those people that was essentially on campus not only for college but for his whole professional career (save a few years at TTech, after the DKR staff was let go), so he knew everyone that was anyone at UTx including BMDs. He is/was one of those rare people that get along with everyone (except maybe boosters that wanted better football than he provided as head coach).

So fired football coaches, as opposed to coaches moved upstairs after retiring from a glorious coaching career, sticking around seems to be a very rare phenomenon, tied to a narrow range of circumstances and personalities. I doubt that Coach Patterson needs a job for financial reasons, and he might not be someone that everyone that is anyone at TCU knows and loves. And TCU has an athletic director, so there's no place to kick him upstairs gracefully if that is even possible after a mid-season bail. I'll be surprised but not sad if Coach Patterson does not put TCU behind him.
Bring back the wogs and gp can coach em

hiphopfroggy

Please….Hodges-Tomilnson single handily turned Oklahoma State’s receiving corps into All-Americans.
You don't read so well, huh?

Here is a tip, try reading more slowly and out loud. Use your finger as a curser, or a guide for your eyes to follow, and sound out each syllable which will help with big words.

TCU Vagabond

One thought, one note:

- Sonny Dykes has not signed that extension yet... Wonder if it is still on his desk?

- The Big 12's future as a true "Power 5" member (or not) is starting to impact the coaching carousel in the conference, and TCU isn't excluded from the impact.
Wouldn’t the ACC/P12/B10 proposal for giving the Big 12 an automatic playoff spot indicate to candidates that the Big 12s place at the table is way more likely safe than not?

And which schools would be using this against us? Virginia Tech is the only one I can think of. Should we be less optimistic about Napier now?

hiphopfroggy

Wouldn’t the ACC/P12/B10 proposal for giving the Big 12 an automatic playoff spot indicate to candidates that the Big 12s place at the table is way more likely safe than not?

And which schools would be using this against us? Virginia Tech is the only one I can think of. Should we be less optimistic about Napier now?
The Big 12 is in no danger of losing AQ status, but I suppose that wouldn't necessarily keep other schools from suggesting as much to gain leverage.

bp4tcu

This just in...Nick Saban has interviewed for the TCU coaching position. He is quoted as saying that he only took the interview because Dieon did, but it opened his eyes to how good of a position the TCU head coaching job was. It is also widely known that his favorite color is purple and he had a pet frog as a child. This is a lock yall.
giphy.gif

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Given his personality, and his stubbornness, I cannot imagine him landing a Big Job anywhere. He simply isn't the glad-handing, Happy Talking Salesman type. Plus, I'm not real sure he wants a Head Coaching job anymore, because I believe he hated the public relations aspects of it so much. Not to mention the time. Would he be a DC somewhere? Maybe. He wouldn't have all the annoying responsibilities, but would still be doing the two things he loves: Football, and molding/guiding young men. But, he wouldn't do it for just anybody, and there's probably a lot of guys who wouldn't hire him because of personality, or out of fear they'd be pushed out in favor of him later. Plus, it would eat up all his time about as bad as a Head Coaching gig. There's still a lot of West Africa to be seen, and a lot of reefs yet unexplored...

My prediction is that he becomes a Program Mentor or Program Analyst, outside the chain of responsibility, not having to deal with all the aggravation, but still immersed in the world he so loves and able to influence it. And, he would still have time to get out and live while he can still enjoy it.

GP's future vis a vis TCU (or any other potential employer) will depend on what's in the final Battle Damage Report.

He's bombed a lot of bridges during the past few weeks.

TCU Vagabond

One thought, one note:

Another thought on this...

Wouldn't this apply more to the wooing of Campbell and Aranda then TCU attracting candidates? And considering TCU feels good about where we stand in expansion candidacy, are we sharing that thoughts with prospective coaches?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I think the expression is burned a lot of bridges. But given my background and IIRC correctly yours (USAF), i like your version better.

Expression changed on purpose. Nestaba hablando en 'Twelve O'Clock HIgh".

Burning is a far less gentle term than what GP has reportedly done in meetings with VBo, AD, and BMDs last month and with his own legacy coaching staff last week.

Last edited: