• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

tcufrogprince1

This just in...Nick Saban has interviewed for the TCU coaching position. He is quoted as saying that he only took the interview because Dieon did, but it opened his eyes to how good of a position the TCU head coaching job was. It is also widely known that his favorite color is purple and he had a pet frog as a child. This is a lock yall.

4 Oaks Frog

I think it depends a lot on what coaching spots open up.

I have no idea what his priorities are wrt a coaching opportunity. Does he want to avoid the big 12? Does he want to stay away from the East and west coasts and coach somewhere in the middle part of the country? Does he only want to coach at a P5? Or does he prefer to coach at a G5?

My guess is that I doubt he’d want to stay in the big 12 and I think he’d prefer not to coach at a school on the west or east coasts.

Maybe Nebraska, Colorado St, New Mexico, Arizona or Texas St. those are just WAGs though
Does he even want to coach at all. Still see him ending up in some role outside of athletic department at TCU…

bp4tcu

They HAVE to move the early signing day, or get rid of it all together. It does a major disservice to coaches and their teams that have to put up with all the speculation right in the middle of their seasons. Whoever thought moving it to a week or two after the season is over was not thinking clearly. What was the point of it anyway? I can't remember.

College football is rapidly becoming like the NBA, where actual results in games don't really seem to matter all that much, what everyone seems to care more about is where coaches are going to be next season, buyouts, contracts, the transfer portal, NIL deals etc.

Gross
This, and this is way the silence is deafening. Early signing is going to change everything and firing coaches mid season will become more and more popular.

Get someone in here, hold on to the guys you have, and start recruiting. The longer we wait the worse this will get.

Mean Purple

Given his personality, and his stubbornness, I cannot imagine him landing a Big Job anywhere. He simply isn't the glad-handing, Happy Talking Salesman type. Plus, I'm not real sure he wants a Head Coaching job anymore, because I believe he hated the public relations aspects of it so much. Not to mention the time. Would he be a DC somewhere? Maybe. He wouldn't have all the annoying responsibilities, but would still be doing the two things he loves: Football, and molding/guiding young men. But, he wouldn't do it for just anybody, and there's probably a lot of guys who wouldn't hire him because of personality, or out of fear they'd be pushed out in favor of him later. Plus, it would eat up all his time about as bad as a Head Coaching gig. There's still a lot of West Africa to be seen, and a lot of reefs yet unexplored...

My prediction is that he becomes a Program Mentor or Program Analyst, outside the chain of responsibility, not having to deal with all the aggravation, but still immersed in the world he so loves and able to influence it. And, he would still have time to get out and live while he can still enjoy it.
His rep in the coaching community is actually pretty solid. He is well respected. If he wanted a P5 job, he would likely get one.
I think we are on the verge of finding out things inside the program where politics got involved.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
His rep in the coaching community is actually pretty solid. He is well respected. If he wanted a P5 job, he would likely get one.
I think we are on the verge of finding out things inside the program where politics got involved.
I've been waiting for the full details to begin seeping out. I imagine after the New Guy is all signed and feted, the leaks will begin.

Mean Purple

I've been waiting for the full details to begin seeping out. I imagine after the New Guy is all signed and feted, the leaks will begin.
He has said that he won't say anything until they are done with the separation part. I'm sure there are things in his contract he is making sure he abides by. Not doing so could be costly.

StinnettFrog

Anyone hiring for an important position is going to keep it quiet and do their due diligence. You don’t rush for short term gain. I actually find it impressive that they are able to keep it under wraps.

AroundWorldFrog

Oh My God Reaction GIF by The Office

froginaustin

Does he even want to coach at all. Still see him ending up in some role outside of athletic department at TCU…

Maybe the past predicts something about the courses of employment of former coaches.

The late former coach Fred Taylor took a job outside the football program. I don't remember whether it was outside the athletic department or not. IIRC his duties included (1) showing up at alumni functions and shaking hands, and (2) acting as a paperweight (no personal computers in those days; we used lots more paper than most people use today).

Seriously, he may have had something to do in fundraising, but he was definitely not front and center as a fundraiser.

I don't remember any of the few football players that were personal acquaintances of mine ever saying anything uncomplimentary or unkind about Coach Taylor (other than the mild grousing about coaches that I suspect most college athletes do). Some of his assistant coaches and other functionaries in the football program, on the other hand, were soundly disliked. Stories of bad behavior by those fellows began to circulate after their TCU employment was terminated and they were no longer in a position to retaliate against tellers of tales.

In those days, football head coaches' compensation was this side of the stratosphere, and Coach Taylor possibly wanted a post-football job to keep his household lights on. AND, IIRC Coach Taylor was a tenured faculty member, and TCU may therefore have owed him employment of some sort right up to retirement.

I was a student in times around and near those happenings, really at the end of old-time TCU football that was last great in the Abe Martin era. TCU attempted a modern re-start with Coach Pittman, and most of us know how that worked out at least in the pre-Franchione days.

David McWilliams is a fired UTx football head coach that stuck around his university, post-football. He is or was (don't know whether he's retired these days) a damn good fund-raiser. One of those people who, face-to-face, is hard not to like. IIRC he was one of those people that was essentially on campus not only for college but for his whole professional career (save a few years at TTech, after the DKR staff was let go), so he knew everyone that was anyone at UTx including BMDs. He is/was one of those rare people that get along with everyone (except maybe boosters that wanted better football than he provided as head coach).

So fired football coaches, as opposed to coaches moved upstairs after retiring from a glorious coaching career, sticking around seems to be a very rare phenomenon, tied to a narrow range of circumstances and personalities. I doubt that Coach Patterson needs a job for financial reasons, and he might not be someone that everyone that is anyone at TCU knows and loves. And TCU has an athletic director, so there's no place to kick him upstairs gracefully if that is even possible after a mid-season bail. I'll be surprised but not sad if Coach Patterson does not put TCU behind him.

Jackson

While agree that nobody is playing like it, Hodges-Tomlinson and Coleman are in fact All-Americans. Mathis is All-Conference. Banks just started getting snaps but looks incredible. That should be a solid defensive core to work with with just those guys. I would also not like to lose Jenkins or Sorrells or Winters. That is 7 guys for sure that TCU should want to hold onto. Perhaps 6 depending on what is happening with Sorrells. I've also been curious to see what the young defensive ends will do in the future but no nothing of how they have been developing.
Please….Hodges-Tomilnson single handily turned Oklahoma State’s receiving corps into All-Americans.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
The late former coach Fred Taylor took a job outside the football program. I don't remember whether it was outside the athletic department or not. IIRC his duties included (1) showing up at alumni functions and shaking hands, and (2) acting as a paperweight (no personal computers in those days; we used lots more paper than most people use today).
I believe John Mackovic finished out his contract with the Whorns as an advisor to the UT golf course project which was under construction at the time. Tough duty, playing golf every day while getting paid handsomely.