• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

OICU812

Is it crazy to want Herman over Dykes? I mean honestly who has the better overall resume...I would say Herman. UT only fired him because they think 7-3 is unacceptable, two years after winning the sugar bowl...
Yes. I’d rather see Pee Wee as the face of the program than Tom. At least everyone would be able to acknowledge going in that it’s a clown show. Also, replacing the techno blast between plays with “Tequila,” would be an upgrade, IMO.

Wexahu

If this is the scenario we are looking at, then our 'search committee' has failed us. I'm certain that when deciding to make a change, "who we can get" has to be part of that decision making process. Not "we might come here", because that would be a failure of huge proportions.

Another way to say that is "hoping we can hire someone good" isn't part of a good plan and if a good plan wasn't in place, that's a problem.
The change had to be made. I don't get what you are saying. The option of keeping with the status quo was not there, GP was totally DONE as a coach here, that was plainly obvious. There is no failure here. That wouldn't be determined for another 2-3 years anyway.

Relic

Yes. I’d rather see Pee Wee as the face of the program than Tom. At least everyone would be able to acknowledge going in that it’s a clown show. Also, replacing the techno blast between plays with “Tequila,” would be an upgrade, IMO.
Replacing the techno blast with ANYTHING, from crying babies to screeching nails on the blackboard, would be a huge improvement.

Hemingway

I have only read some bio, so only surface info but suggesting good CEO traits. He was very busy and accomplished in college and then worked at Michelin North America. He is currently Assistant Head Coach for a national champion head coach. Same stuff I have posted here twice before so excuse me. Tony Elliott’s bio suggests motivation, leadership, organizational skill, work ethic and high IQ based on his days of Air Force Preparatory, being a college walk-on and then earning “team captain” and having a 3.55 GPA in engineering at Clemson—a very good academic school. He needs to be CEO at TCU football so maybe don’t worry about his sputtering offense this year.

Tony Elliott, age 41, Clemson AHC/OC/TE

“After attending the United States Air Force Academy Preparatory School as a football recruit in 1997, Elliott played college football at Clemson University under head coach Tommy Bowden. He came to Clemson in the fall of 1999 as a walk-on. He was selected team captain in 2003, a rare accomplishment for a walk-on. He finished his career at Clemson with 4 letters and 44 games with 4 starts. Elliott graduated with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering from Clemson University in 2002 with a team-high 3.55 GPA. Upon graduation, he worked for Michelin North America for two years.

In December 2017, Elliott was the recipient of the Broyles Award, presented to the top assistant coach in college football.”

2006–2007South Carolina State (WR)
2008–2010Furman (WR)
2011–2014Clemson (RB)
2015–2019Clemson (co-OC/RB)
2020Clemson (OC/RB)
2021–presentClemson (AHC/OC/TE)
I’m sorry... but did you just cite someone’s college gpa as qualification for a P5 college head coaching position?

JAB331

Does Fuente become a candidate for us now?
I don't like the idea of hiring someone who was just fired, kind of like I don't like buying stocks that just missed earnings. And if you're interviewing him, are you interviewing Orgeron too?

I like Fuente, but he would need to have gone somewhere else and been successful - kinda like what Sonny already did.

Zubaz

I don't like the idea of hiring someone who was just fired, kind of like I don't like buying stocks that just missed earnings. And if you're interviewing him, are you interviewing Orgeron too?

I like Fuente, but he would need to have gone somewhere else and been successful - kinda like what Sonny already did.
Not sure that's a fair comparison, since Orgeron has some off field baggage that Fuente as far as I know does not.

But yeah, I would at least vet Fuente to see if there's an opportunity there, same reason I would assume VT will at least give Gary a call. It's possible that Fuentes issues were more due to the school than him as a coach.

I’m sorry... but did you just cite someone’s college gpa as qualification for a P5 college head coaching position?
No I did not say it is a qualification. I am suggesting a team-high 3.55 GPA in engineering at a very good school while playing football suggests he has a well functioning brain, significantly above mediocre—high IQ with good time management skills and ambition, and I like that—good assets for a CEO football coach. Meaningful information to me, but if you don’t respect that accomplishment as pertinent....

Last edited:

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I have only read some bio, so only surface info but suggesting good CEO traits. He was very busy and accomplished in college and then worked at Michelin North America. He is currently Assistant Head Coach for a national champion head coach. Same stuff I have posted here twice before so excuse me. Tony Elliott’s bio suggests motivation, leadership, organizational skill, work ethic and high IQ based on his days of Air Force Preparatory, being a college walk-on and then earning “team captain” and having a 3.55 GPA in engineering at Clemson—a very good academic school. He needs to be CEO at TCU football so maybe don’t worry about his sputtering offense this year. CEO being what some here disparage Gary for maybe lacking in, and applaud in Saban.

Tony Elliott, age 41, Clemson AHC/OC/TE

“After attending the United States Air Force Academy Preparatory School as a football recruit in 1997, Elliott played college football at Clemson University under head coach Tommy Bowden. He came to Clemson in the fall of 1999 as a walk-on. He was selected team captain in 2003, a rare accomplishment for a walk-on. He finished his career at Clemson with 4 letters and 44 games with 4 starts. Elliott graduated with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering from Clemson University in 2002 with a team-high 3.55 GPA. Upon graduation, he worked for Michelin North America for two years.

In December 2017, Elliott was the recipient of the Broyles Award, presented to the top assistant coach in college football.”

2006–2007South Carolina State (WR)
2008–2010Furman (WR)
2011–2014Clemson (RB)
2015–2019Clemson (co-OC/RB)
2020Clemson (OC/RB)
2021–presentClemson (AHC/OC/TE)

I don't think you know exactly what attending the USAFA Preparatory Academy really means.

Don't confuse the admission requirements for USAFA admission with those of the Prep Academy.

(Hint: The Prep Academy isn't accredited.)

flyfishingfrog

Assuming he means P-5 from Dykes' time at Cal. Bottom line for me is do we really want to hire a guy whos overall record is 71-61...I think there are better options out there
that want our job and we can convince to come here? really - who exactly? Because from what I can tell, the other candidates we want have better options

Prime BEEF

"high IQ based on his days of Air Force Preparatory"

Your words.
The prep school program is a good program and has helped a lot of kids. I understand what you’re trying to say but don’t think it’s a good thing to nitpick on.

The fact that he was able to get an engineering degree later on at Clemson while playing football is no small feet. And yes, as an engineer I understand that an industrial engineer degree is not as hard as some other engineering degrees. Still not an easy thing to do though which I think is partly what he was trying to say in his post