• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

netty2424

My post was about pumping up Tony Elliott—thinking about his resume—and accepting risk by going with the younger candidates that may have higher longterm ceilings. It wasn’t about GP—TCU made that decision.
I know nothing about Elliott so pardon my ignorance, but on the surface, it would seem concerning that without a megastar QB and an NFL caliber RB, his offense seems to be really struggling. Should the jury be out on that for a couple seasons to see what he can do? Will Dabo even give him that kind of time?

I am not disagreeing with you, just asking your opinion as you seem to be high on him(as some others are as well).

Paint It Purple

I mean, you can't do this stuff over night, but the fact we dont have what seems like a realistic candidate, much less an actual hire tells me this is a total clown show operation. I can't wait to see how bad our potato AD screws it up. Feels like we're not quite the destination we think we are.
Liked for: "potato AD".

Not sure what that means really, but like the sound of it.

LisaLT

I know nothing about Elliott so pardon my ignorance, but on the surface, it would seem concerning that without a megastar QB and an NFL caliber RB, his offense seems to be really struggling. Should the jury be out on that for a couple seasons to see what he can do? Will Dabo even give him that kind of time?

I am not disagreeing with you, just asking your opinion as you seem to be high on him(as some others are as well).
I think they lost other key pieces on the OL too and defense. I'm sure it's not easy to replace Trevor Lawrence or their star RB. Look at Lincoln Riley and losing Kyler Murray. Prattler and Thompson don't compare to Murray, and OU is much weaker this year, barely squeaking out wins, losing to Baylor - and likely gonna lose to OSU.

I think Elliott is a good coach, but he's had the good fortune to have the best athletes to work with. How he would do outside of Clemson as HC is anybody's guess.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I think they lost other key pieces on the OL too and defense. I'm sure it's not easy to replace Trevor Lawrence or their star RB. Look at Lincoln Riley and losing Kyler Murray. Prattler and Thompson don't compare to Murray, and OU is much weaker this year, barely squeaking out wins, losing to Baylor - and likely gonna lose to OSU.

I think Elliott is a good coach, but he's had the good fortune to have the best athletes to work with. How he would do outside of Clemson as HC is anybody's guess.
Liked for Prattler

gofor2

He kind of is, but might be the best candidate if Napier deal doesn’t get done.. I don’t think Campbell is coming here. Some may prefer Sonny as the top choice.
If our target was napier and our fall back was sonny and that is who we end up with, then I view that as a fail on multiple levels.

Wexahu

If our target was napier and our fall back was sonny and that is who we end up with, then I view that as a fail on multiple levels.
What would have been the alternative? We had to fire our coach and we have to hire a new one. If Napier, Campbell, Moore, and Peterson don't want it, who's your guy?

gofor2

If Napier, Campbell, Moore, and Peterson don't want it, who's your guy?
If this is the scenario we are looking at, then our 'search committee' has failed us. I'm certain that when deciding to make a change, "who we can get" has to be part of that decision making process. Just winging it would be a failure of huge proportions.

Another way to say that is "hoping we can hire someone good" isn't part of a good plan and if a good plan wasn't in place, that's a problem.

Last edited:

I have only read some bio, so only surface info that hints at good CEO traits. He was very busy and accomplished in college and then worked at Michelin North America. He is currently Assistant Head Coach for a national champion head coach. Same stuff I have posted here twice before so excuse me. Tony Elliott’s bio suggests ambition, leadership, organizational skill, work ethic and high IQ based on his days of Air Force Preparatory, being a college walk-on and then earning “team captain” and having a 3.55 GPA in engineering at Clemson—a very good academic school. He needs to be CEO at TCU football so maybe don’t worry about his sputtering offense this year. CEO being what some criticize Gary for maybe lacking, and applaud in Saban.

Tony Elliott, age 41, Clemson AHC/OC/TE

“After attending the United States Air Force Academy Preparatory School as a football recruit in 1997, Elliott played college football at Clemson University under head coach Tommy Bowden. He came to Clemson in the fall of 1999 as a walk-on. He was selected team captain in 2003, a rare accomplishment for a walk-on. He finished his career at Clemson with 4 letters and 44 games with 4 starts. Elliott graduated with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering from Clemson University in 2002 with a team-high 3.55 GPA. Upon graduation, he worked for Michelin North America for two years.

In December 2017, Elliott was the recipient of the Broyles Award, presented to the top assistant coach in college football.”

2006–2007South Carolina State (WR)
2008–2010Furman (WR)
2011–2014Clemson (RB)
2015–2019Clemson (co-OC/RB)
2020Clemson (OC/RB)
2021–presentClemson (AHC/OC/TE)

Last edited: