• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Wexahu

Is it crazy to want Herman over Dykes? I mean honestly who has the better overall resume...I would say Herman. UT only fired him because they think 7-3 is unacceptable, two years after winning the sugar bowl...
Is it crazy? No, probably not crazy. But Dykes has a far better resume than most want to admit, when you factor everything into consideration. Plus, he doesn't have a history of acting like a fool.

Napier, Dykes, Elliot…
I am happy to see Tony Elliott get some recognition. Yes his offense sputters this year but I very much like things in his resume suggesting leadership, work ethic and high IQ—qualities you want in a CEO/head coach. Unfortunately, GSR‘s latest note suggested no black (Elliott) candidates of interest are available to TCU. I prefer to take some risk and think both Napier and Elliott give you growth high side. Proven P5 coaches like Campbell and Petersen would have been better but they never came to the table and we pretty much knew that before letting Gary go, so we chose risk in hiring.

Last edited:

hometown frog

Firing Patterson to hire Dykes would be underwhelming, to say the least.
In that narrow focus I think most would agree. BUT the larger decision is the current coaching staff w GP vs a new/revamped staff w a new head coach. When you view it in that light, I think it becomes an easier decision. (And don’t forget, the story goes that Gary had to the option to give us GP and a new/revamped staff and chose not to allow that. So that isn’t completely on TCU at this point.)

Wexahu

I am happy to see Tony Elliott get some recognition. Yes his offense sputters this year but I very much like things in his resume suggesting leadership, work ethic and high IQ—qualities you want in a CEO/head coach. Unfortunately, GSR‘s latest note suggested no black (Elliott) candidates are available to TCU or have not passed TCU’s screening process. I prefer to take some risk and think both Napier and Elliott give you growth high side. Proven P5 coaches like Campbell and Petersen would have been better but they never came to the table and we pretty much knew that before letting Gary go, so we chose risk in hiring.
Keeping GP on board wasn't an option. There was no "risk" there at all. Letting GP go HAD to be done. There wasn't a decision to be made in that part of the equation.

tcufrogprince1

I don't care if they've been fired, but are they winning coaches now? Gary is not, the coaches on staff are not, but Sonny is.

Hell, he beat us twice now with less talent, poorer facilities, and a coaching staff he put together at a fraction of the cost.
Um...he also plays simi
Is it crazy? No, probably not crazy. But Dykes has a far better resume than most want to admit, when you factor everything into consideration. Plus, he doesn't have a history of acting like a fool.
There is only one thing worse than a coach without a fbs coaching career and that is one with a losing fbs coaching career. Dykes would be a terrible hire unless he is a patch.

Wexahu

I keep asking people to name me his biggest accomplishment at SMU outside of beating 2 sorry TCU teams by 3 and 7 points
67% winning percentage? The two best SMU seasons in the past 38 years (in only four years of coaching)?

I mean, what in the hell do you mean, what has he accomplished there? He's won far more games than anyone else has at the school in forever. Does that not mean anything?

I guess you can stop asking people that question. I'm telling you the answer.

tcufootballjh98

Herman has won two NY6 bowls. Assuming he's gotten his act together, TCU would be foolish not to interview him

Keeping GP on board wasn't an option. There was no "risk" there at all. Letting GP go HAD to be done. There wasn't a decision to be made in that part of the equation.
My post was about pumping up Tony Elliott—thinking about his resume—and accepting risk by going with the younger candidates that may have higher longterm ceilings. It wasn’t about GP—TCU made that decision.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Assuming he means P-5 from Dykes' time at Cal. Bottom line for me is do we really want to hire a guy whos overall record is 71-61...I think there are better options out there
Well, supposedly Justin Wilcox is one of the front runners for the Washington job. Maybe even THE front runner. Wilcox is 24-27 at Cal in his 5 years there, 13-24 in the Pac 12. Apparently they realize how hard it is to win at Cal. NOBODY wins there.

Wexahu

Maybe he's actually the kinda guy that would succeed with the transfer portal and paying players now. We need a mercenary, this “good guy bleep” will get you killed now.
I've heard plenty of people say that Dykes is an a-hole, so I guess he's got that going for him too. :)