• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
A post on TigerDroppings suggests LSU will hire Mark Stoops or Campbell and called it the most "underwhelming" coaching hire in LSU history.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
As of now, Dykes is 71-61 in his career at LaTech, Cal and SMU. An 8-2 record this year helps a career of being just over .500 career look a little better. Gary Patterson was 181-79 in his career. To your point of him winning right now…Dykes is 25-8 over the last three seasons at SMU. If he can string that same winning percentage together for the next 18 years he can catch up to GP. This may be a “popular firing” for a portion of the TCU fan base, but it’s a damn sure risky proposition to assume you can replicate what’s been done at TCU with a new hire. If we fired GP only to have the chance to hire a guy like Dykes that sure seems reasonably likely to backfire to me.
Having 3 winning conference records out of 10 in the Big 12 will be hard to replace?

SackLunch

I agree about being respectful but when you attribute loyalty as their motive for staying, which of the people on our staff got offers of "money and opportunities at bigger schools" that they turned down? Fuente and Dykes rightfully took the HC jobs they were offered and stayed gone but of the long-time coaches, Glasgow left for one year to be a DC at Tech, got fired and came back, Meacham got demoted from play caller, left to go to Kansas, got fired and came back, and then who? So, you have two guys who left, were fired and came back, never got any more offers and a bunch of guys like Anderson, Sharp, Burns, Sommer, etc... who never even were sought out by other programs during their long tenures at TCU. Is that loyalty or because those other offers never came?
I can tell you right now with 100% certainty that Don Sommer turned down multiple job offers from a lot of bigger programs...Missouri, his alma mater, he turned down like 2 or 3 times. I was talking about Don Sommer, don't know why you brought everyone else into the conversation. That being said, I can almost guarantee you those coaches that have been with GP for a long time got offers to go to other schools (I wish some of them would have taken them) but stayed at TCU.

SackLunch

When I was at one of the early spring weight lifting deals they used to do every year, a group of coaches from Catholic HS in Baton Rouge walked in. I recognized the logo and introduced myself to Dale Weiner the very longtime and legendary coach of CHS. He told me there was a National Coaches Convention in Dallas they were attending. Nick Saban was the LSU coach and Weiner said Saban told him to go to TCU and meet Don Summa, he was one of the best in the biz. My son lettered 4 times, Don Summer had alot to do with that, regardless of current issues, I will never forget that.
Most people on this thread, especially anyone bashing Big D, don't understand the impact he had on every kid that played at TCU. Great coach but it just shows that most on this site are in their mom's basement trying to bash men they don't know on a job they know nothing about. It's fun to read some of it though.

Paul in uhh

Most people on this thread, especially anyone bashing Big D, don't understand the impact he had on every kid that played at TCU. Great coach but it just shows that most on this site are in their mom's basement trying to bash men they don't know on a job they know nothing about. It's fun to read some of it though.
Just because you were good once doesn’t mean you’ll be good forever

SackLunch

Just because you were good once doesn’t mean you’ll be good forever
No and AGAIN I'm not saying he deserves to stay but this most disappointing part of this whole coaching change debacle is how quickly everyone seems to forget that these guys are the reason people around the country know about TCU. We would be a rich North Texas if it wasn't for GP and his staff over the last 20+ years. I do think it's time for a change but to talk about these current coaches, Don Sommer especially, like they aren't the main reason TCU is known by so many and to completely disrespect what they have done for the school and the city of Fort Worth is pathetic. You can blame them for the state of the program now but don't take away from what they did for the program for sooooo long. Again, TCU is only as well known as it is today because of the football program over the last 20+ years. Period.

Moose Stuff

LMAO. The dude used to be good at his job just like Gary. Neither of them are any more. It’s past time for change. The end.

LoudFrog

They rarely get fired and then get rehired at the same place or take another job and then end up coming back to the same place, for the same job.

It was a little bit of weird thing we had going on, especially with Meacham. Correct me if I’m wrong, but what happened with him basically never happens.
Meach didn’t get fired. Gary was going to let Sonny Cumbie call plays. Gary had not yet told Meach of his plans but had told many other people. It got back to Meach after having a great 2014 and 15 and then an average 16. Meach got mad and left.

Moose Stuff

No and AGAIN I'm not saying he deserves to stay but this most disappointing part of this whole coaching change debacle is how quickly everyone seems to forget that these guys are the reason people around the country know about TCU. We would be a rich North Texas if it wasn't for GP and his staff over the last 20+ years. I do think it's time for a change but to talk about these current coaches, Don Sommer especially, like they aren't the main reason TCU is known by so many and to completely disrespect what they have done for the school and the city of Fort Worth is pathetic. You can blame them for the state of the program now but don't take away from what they did for the program for sooooo long. Again, TCU is only as well known as it is today because of the football program over the last 20+ years. Period.
For the love of god man. Nobody is suggesting that Don Summer, or Gary, or whoever didn’t do amazing things for TCU. Literally NOBODY is trying to take away what they did.

CountryFrog

Are you unfamiliar with how sports work? When you're not winning you get criticized. Go 4 straight years without winning and you get criticized A LOT. What you did or didn't do 10 years ago has nothing to do with it.

bp4tcu

I mean, you can't do this stuff over night, but the fact we dont have what seems like a realistic candidate, much less an actual hire tells me this is a total clown show operation. I can't wait to see how bad our potato AD screws it up. Feels like we're not quite the destination we think we are.

TAINTed frog

They rarely get fired and then get rehired at the same place or take another job and then end up coming back to the same place, for the same job.

It was a little bit of weird thing we had going on, especially with Meacham. Correct me if I’m wrong, but what happened with him basically never happens.
One thing my buddies and I have talked about for at least 5-6 years is the lack of a coaching tree GP fostered. Having coaches leave and come back isn’t typically indicative of strong development in coaches. Fuente was probably the most successful and was let go by Va. Tech today or yesterday.

And no, I’m not trying to bash GP, simply making an observation. GP did tremendous things for this university and will be remembered as a legend.