• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Here’s my prediction:

When the new coach is announced, half of you are going to be super excited, half of you are going to complain because it wasn’t the guy you wanted and the third half are going to [ hundin] and moan regardless of who it is.
Change that from a prediction to a guarantee and you’d still be correct.

GenXFrog

I’m glad you brought that up actually, a coach standing up for his player when adult fans are being total A holes and way out of line, yeah screw him. Also what about his bio gives you or anyone a bad impression. A masters in counseling psychology and emphasis in health promotion, sounds like he is unqualified.

Never said he was unqualified. He wouldn't have been at Baylor or SMU if that were the case. How quickly we have forgotten the rape scandal at Baylor and his involvement in the cover up. I get that others have moved on from that.

Encourage you to read Violated if you've not.

Wexahu

Some good names….Hire the best combination of program vision and proof of concept. Splash hires aren’t necessary. This isn’t 1980. Everyone knows who TCU is and what we are capable of so hire the guy who’s done it before.
Right. Deion is the kind of guy that a Arizona, Vandy or Kansas might try and hire just to draw some eyeballs. A program that really has no farther down to go. And if Deion went to any of those places, he’d be gone at the first better opportunity that came along, just like he would here. He doesn’t strike me as a guy totally committed to coaching.

Toad Jones

Kellen probably may not have a network of possible assistant coaches that would be needed. He has not been dealing with transfer portal issues much less NIL. He probably has never gone into a recruits home and talked to the parents. So much more to being a college head football coach than being an NFL offensive coordinator. He would have a heck of a learning curve.
What is there to deal on transfer portal? If a kid wants to leave he pretty much made up his mind to go.
Then you get in a plane or send an assistant and recruit a guy in the portal. Kellen Moore's dad is or was a coach and recruited. It would take about as long to unpack box on his desk to adapt to college. He is a coach for the Cowboys and their input on players is paramount. Most owners will ask a position coach what are you looking if we go after a tight end. Moore would be just fine. Prefer Pete but Moore would do. BTW Moore interviewed for head coach at Boise last year but JJones came along with a pocket full of money.

If Moore is interested in TCU that indicates to me he's not all that renumbered with the business side of pro football. JJones won't hold him back so he says. The pros have a back plan and probably another back on top of that if he resigns the OC job. You wouldn't believe the efficient nature of the pros. Why, they have personnel that do nothing except name their toilets.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Right. Deion is the kind of guy that a Arizona, Vandy or Kansas might try and hire just to draw some eyeballs. A program that really has no farther down to go. And if Deion went to any of those places, he’d be gone at the first better opportunity that came along, just like he would here. He doesn’t strike me as a guy totally committed to coaching.
Deion is the guy that SMU hires after we take Dykes. And honestly him and Samples paired together would do some recruiting damage.

mesohornedfrog

Question on the “agents expressing interest.” Does that necessarily mean the coach is interested? I’m not an agent and don’t play one on tv, but if I were, I’d probably call and express interest to every big job opening and get some info so that my client could then decide if they are actually interested in pursuing. Could some of this “interest” just be due diligence from agents doing their jobs?

Salfrog

Tier 1
Question on the “agents expressing interest.” Does that necessarily mean the coach is interested? I’m not an agent and don’t play one on tv, but if I were, I’d probably call and express interest to every big job opening and get some info so that my client could then decide if they are actually interested in pursuing. Could some of this “interest” just be due diligence form agents doing their jobs?
I would imagine in these cases that the coach sees a job they are interested in, and call their agent to reach out and let it be known they are interested and get all of the information. . I may be wrong, but believe this is what I have heard over the years about these situations.

Fiscuits

Deion, Kellen, Sonny....they will all be gone after four years. They will have either failed and be fired or succeeded and hired at another program.
The "moving on" argument is a moot point. They will all move on to a better opportunity. Nature of this business we have be spared of for 20 years that no other program has any issue with (with exception of Alabama and Iowa).

Wexahu

If we hire Dykes, it will appear that we really did no real search at all. I'm not saying Dykes might not be the guy or a good candidate, but I think there are some real interesting candidates out there that would bring a fresh perspective to the program.
Who cares what it appears like? If he's the best guy and we can get him, we should hire him. Sometimes the best guy might be the easy, obvious choice.

And you don't think he'd bring a fresh perspective to the program? I absolutely think he would.

SackLunch

Never said he was unqualified. He wouldn't have been at Baylor or SMU if that were the case. How quickly we have forgotten the rape scandal at Baylor and his involvement in the cover up. I get that others have moved on from that.

Encourage you to read Violated if you've not.

Deion, Kellen, Sonny....they will all be gone after four years. They will have either failed and be fired or succeeded and hired at another program.
The "moving on" argument is a moot point. They will all move on to a better opportunity. Nature of this business we have be spared of for 20 years that no other program has any issue with (with exception of Alabama and Iowa).
I hate to say it but TCU is now a "stepping stone" school for any head coach we hire. We will never find another coach like GP who will stick around and continue to build up what GP did while he was here. I would bet we won't have the same head coach for longer than 6 years from this point forward. Guys like GP don't exist anymore and if they do they aren't near as good as he was.