• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Moose Stuff

We’ve got so many discussions going on in different threads, might as well put it all in one place. So it looks like the known potential candidates at this point are….

Sonny Dykes - SMU HC
Billy Napier - Louisiana HC
Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina HC
Chris Petersen - former UW and Boise HC
Deion Sanders - Jackson St HC
Kellen Moore - Cowboys OC
Tony Elliott - Clemson OC
Jay Norvell - Nevada HC

Elliott was reportedly interviewed yesterday. There are obviously other names you could add to this list but they’re either pure speculation or guys that don’t appear interested (Jeff Traylor) and I’d prefer not to junk up the conversation with people constantly throwing out “but what about….”. If you’ve got something productive to add, have at it.

froginmn

Not sure what to make of Elliot; don't know much about him. Clemson's offense was great with Trevor Lawrence and has been dog [ Finebaum ] this year (115th in total offense).

He was also in a co-coordinator role for a lot of the time... when you consider that he's also never been a HC, it seems like a stretch.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that following a legend is easier if the next guy has major cache of his own and a different style/personnel network. Sometimes an heir-successor works out, like Tom Osborne following Bob Devaney at Nebraska, but usually it looks a bit more what's happening with Ole Gunnar Soljksjaer at Man Utd right now (or what happened to Ferguson's immediate successor, David Moyes, who is once again proving himself to be a great manager at West Ham but was constantly undermined by the Sir Alex 'old guard' during his tenure at Utd).

All that to say, you need someone with the star power to tell grumblers that it's their job now and they're doing this way because they're doing it this way. Also we need positive buzz immediately and wins very soon; the price of failure on those counts could be catastrophic if further realignment happens and we've been mediocre for a decade.

Who on our list provides those things?

Peterson; Sanders; Moore... (maybe?)

Sanders seems to have huge upside for moving in a new direction, recruiting lights out, generating buzz, and going with a relatively younger candidate. The downside is obviously potential academic scandal--can you be sure you're not going to get that? (It hasn't happened at Jack State so far as I know.) Moore also has youth but star power of a much more recent and limited vintage (albeit considerable local appeal). Peterson has all these things except youth. Elliot seems to potentially fit the bill if you can be sure that the cache of his Clemson association will actually follow him to Fort Worth, but I'm less sold on that. Napier seems like a great candidate and I'm pretty confident he'd win, I just don't know about his 'star power'.

In sum, I have no clue.

Moose Stuff

Not sure what to make of Elliot; don't know much about him. Clemson's offense was great with Trevor Lawrence and has been dog [ #2020 ] this year (115th in total offense).

He was also in a co-coordinator role for a lot of the time... when you consider that he's also never been a HC, it seems like a stretch.
This one doesn’t do much for me on the surface.

Last edited:

Wexahu

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that following a legend is easier if the next guy has major cache of his own and a different style/personnel network. Sometimes an heir-successor works out, like Tom Osborne following Bob Devaney at Nebraska, but usually it looks a bit more what's happening with Ole Gunnar Soljksjaer at Man Utd right now (or what happened to Ferguson's immediate successor, David Moyes, who is once again proving himself to be a great manager at West Ham but was constantly undermined by the Sir Alex 'old guard' during his tenure at Utd).

All that to say, you need someone with the star power to tell grumblers that it's their job now and they're doing this way because they're doing it this way. Also we need positive buzz immediately and wins very soon; the price of failure on those counts could be catastrophic if further realignment happens and we've been mediocre for a decade.

Who on our list provides those things?

Peterson; Sanders; Moore... (maybe?)

Sanders seems to have huge upside for moving in a new direction, recruiting lights out, generating buzz, and going with a relatively younger candidate. The downside is obviously potential academic scandal--can you be sure you're not going to get that? (It hasn't happened at Jack State so far as I know.) Moore also has youth but star power of a much more recent and limited vintage (albeit considerable local appeal). Peterson has all these things except youth. Elliot seems to potentially fit the bill if you can be sure that the cache of his Clemson association will actually follow him to Fort Worth, but I'm less sold on that. Napier seems like a great candidate and I'm pretty confident he'd win, I just don't know about his 'star power'.

In sum, I have no clue.
I don't care about "star power". Give me a good football coach who wants to be at TCU.

Limey Frog

I don't care about "star power". Give me a good football coach who wants to be at TCU.

That would also I be fine. That's why I'm personally leaning toward Napier at this point. But I can see the reasons for considering Sanders. Everytime I think I'm sold on Napier I start wondering whether a guy coming in with his resume from the University of Louisiana would have enough cache once the 'new hire' buzz wears off?

I wonder if Moore isn't the best choice to have a bit of everything. I really don't know how much star power he has at his age, but apparently it's quite a bit. But he also might not be available full-time until January or later.

Palliative Care

I think that you want someone who comes in like now, has been a HC and has credentials. I do not see how this can be Moore.
I don't trust that Sanders with the keys and no I am fine with a black coach just not him. As much as I hate to admit it Dykes has a lot of positives except his connection with SMU. Leave Peterson in retirement. I don't want a guy who might be gone again in a year. As for the rest, I have don't know enough about them to say.

Wexahu

I think that you want someone who comes in like now, has been a HC and has credentials. I do not see how this can be Moore.
I don't trust that Sanders with the keys and no I am fine with a black coach just not him. As much as I hate to admit it Dykes has a lot of positives except his connection with SMU. Leave Peterson in retirement. I don't want a guy who might be gone again in a year. As for the rest, I have don't know enough about them to say.
Why is a connection to SMU a negative?