• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Other than double digit win recent success (which I get is a big negative for a lot of people) he really is a good fit. Texas ties, relationships with HS coaches, offensive pedigree (coached under Mumme, Leach and has had coached multiple top 10 QBs), coaching experience at all levels, experience and success with the portal, all are factors that could increase chances of success. Needs to make good asst coaching hires, but that’s true of all potential hires.

If only he could learn how to win, and coach defense.

Dig into his career numbers, they are the definition of mediocre, some of them are flat out horrendous.

How the TCU brass settled on this guy as their #1 choice, I’ll never understand.

The definition of a good old boy, convenient , easy hire. GP did this crap for years, and he wrecked the program. Well here we are again…

Announcement this week?
As others have said, the target is a formal announcement on Monday the 29th. This could change, but that’s the working plan. They’ve been working to firm up the terms sheet, that’s now done and there has either been a board meeting or there will be in the near future to inform/approve. I anticipate there will be “SOURCES: SONNY DYKES TO TCU” tweets Saturday evening if not before.

There was some discussion of Sonny coming over sooner, but that appears to be off the table in the final handshake.

If I remember to do it, we can do some story time after the announcement, it’s been an interesting few months since the OU/WV games, and even dating back to winter 2019/2020.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What an absolutely awful hire. I will never know why they went this direction.

Talk about underwhelming, zero buzz, and pretty much no excitement tied to this hire. That what happens you bring in a mediocre to bad coach.

The fanbase is pretty much dived as well, with those who are okay with it, and those who absolutely despise it. Most I talked to think this was a massive failure.
OMG! Up to 19 posts!

Time to fill up your hand again, poo-flinger...

Paul in uhh

If only he could learn how to win, and coach defense.

Dig into his career numbers, they are the definition of mediocre, some of them are flat out horrendous.

How the TCU brass settled on this guy as their #1 choice, I’ll never understand.

The definition of a good old boy, convenient , easy hire. GP did this crap for years, and he wrecked the program. Well here we are again…
Who do you propose as an alternative? Do you know someone who would want the job that’s better?

Chongo94

Good thing for us is that perceptions don’t win football games. I’m fully behind Sonny and look forward to what’s in store for this program.
I’m not denying that, I’m just saying that if the search committee is expecting many fans to react with fireworks and celebrations over this hire, they are likely sorely mistaken.

Pharm Frog

Can’t say I am excited about trading GP for Dykes if that is what it is.

I am but I’d be excited for most anyone not named Briles or Sanders. We didn’t trade Gary for anyone…Gary had to go and if that’s not evident for someone maybe it’s time to schedule that end of year optometrist appointment.

If we’d had the gumption to seek our Joshua earlier we’d be in a better position but so much “In Gary we trust” and “He deserves another year and another year and another year…” brought us here.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Good thing for us is that perceptions don’t win football games. I’m fully behind Sonny and look forward to what’s in store for this program.
I don't oppose the hire at all. He seems to be a good fellow, runs a good ship, and isn't opposed to new ideas and thinking.

The opposition seems to be in the category of "wanting to hire Mr. Right" but has no one in particular in mind. Merely a slot named: Other.

Chongo94

I am but I’d be excited for most anyone not named Briles or Sanders. We didn’t trade Gary for anyone…Gary had to go and if that’s not evident for someone maybe it’s time to schedule that end of year optometrist appointment.

If we’d had the gumption to seek our Joshua earlier we’d be in a better position but so much “In Gary we trust” and “He deserves another year and another year and another year…” brought us here.
Gah that’s true. That deserve another year stuff has been going on for a while now ugh.

RebelFrog

Beyond you simply disagreeing with it can you tell me what’s so terrible about any of this? I mean we’re at the point now where the major complaint people seem to have is that our search committee targeted one guy early on, pursued him, and got him. That’s ideally how you want it to work. If they had done the exact thing but instead targeted and hired Luke Fickell would anyone be complaining about the “process”???
I'd murder a hobo if it would get Fickell to Ft. Worth. Or Oxford, for that matter.

Moose Stuff

I’m not denying that, I’m just saying that if the search committee is expecting many fans to react with fireworks and celebrations over this hire, they are likely sorely mistaken.
I hope they don’t care one bit what the reaction of the fans is. Hire the right guy. Simply changing the mood around the programs and giving it more exposure (can’t possibly have less) will increase excitement and winning will bring the fans. No amount of buzz matters if you don’t win.

Last edited:

Wexahu

As others have said, the target is a formal announcement on Monday the 29th. This could change, but that’s the working plan. They’ve been working to firm up the terms sheet, that’s now done and there has either been a board meeting or there will be in the near future to inform/approve. I anticipate there will be “SOURCES: SONNY DYKES TO TCU” tweets Saturday evening if not before.

There was some discussion of Sonny coming over sooner, but that appears to be off the table in the final handshake.

If I remember to do it, we can do some story time after the announcement, it’s been an interesting few months since the OU/WV games, and even dating back to winter 2019/2020.
If it’s a done deal, IMO they need to go ahead and announce it so both SMU and TCU can move on however they see fit. No easy solutions, but if everyone knows it’s happened, not much sense in pretending it hasn’t.

They desperately need to get rid of ESD.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
100% Accurate.

He was the guy from the get go. Criteria in what they were looking for was tailored to fit Dykes from the start, they never dug in and did a true national search, never got aggressive, never got their hands dirty, they had their guy before Gary was fired.

An accurate word for this search would be charade, that’s basically what it was.

Whats more worrying to me is how they indentified this guy as their #1 choice. He is the definition of mediocre, his numbers when you dig in are bad to plain ugly, and there is a massive sample size to support that claim.
Your first full paragraph is proof you don’t know what you are talking about in terms of the search, its scope, the people involved and the process. The rest is opinion and it’s certainly fair game although like anyone assembling facts to support a preconceived notion you ignore everything that cuts against your point