• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

CountryFrog

Is there some alternate universe going on today? How is a guy who can’t win or run his program well enough not to get fired at the University of Florida a good hire for TCU? I don’t get it.
I'd be fine with Mullen but it's humorous to me that the people who want to "inject energy and enthusiasm into the program" want to do that with someone who was just fired for grossly underperforming at a program with tons of resources and built in advantages.

Paul in uhh

the lord of the rings GIF
Announcement this week?

I'd be fine with Mullen but it's humorous to me that the people who want to "inject energy and enthusiasm into the program" want to do that with someone who was just fired for grossly underperforming at a program with tons of resources and built in advantages.
That was my point. If he can’t do it at a place with all those advantages how would he succeed here and how is he better hire than someone who has done pretty well at a place like SMU that has almost no advantages? He’s a bigger name I guess but that doesn’t matter once the games kick off.

CountryFrog

That was my point. If he can’t do it at a place with all those advantages how would he succeed here and how is he better hire than someone who has done pretty well at a place like SMU that has almost no advantages? He’s a bigger name I guess but that doesn’t matter once the games kick off.
I hear you on that. I'd point to his success at Mississippi St as reason why I think he could succeed at TCU. The Florida stuff ain't great.

But again I'm fine with Dykes mainly because I think he's a better fit culturally at TCU than someone like Mullen.

I hear you on that. I'd point to his success at Mississippi St as reason why I think he could succeed at TCU. The Florida stuff ain't great.

But again I'm fine with Dykes mainly because I think he's a better fit culturally at TCU than someone like Mullen.
Other than double digit win recent success (which I get is a big negative for a lot of people) he really is a good fit. Texas ties, relationships with HS coaches, offensive pedigree (coached under Mumme, Leach and has had coached multiple top 10 QBs), coaching experience at all levels, experience and success with the portal, all are factors that could increase chances of success. Needs to make good asst coaching hires, but that’s true of all potential hires.

Limey Frog

Dan Mullen possesses almost none of the intangible ingredients needed to succeed at a place like TCU in my opinion.

Yeah, the stuff coming out about his crappy recruiting shouldn't exactly fill the sane observer with confidence. I'd rather hire a guy with roots in the Texas recruiting world than a 'bigger name' who can't be arsed to recruit at all.

It was a pre-determined set of search criteria so that the BMDs could get their comfortable buddy hire back in the hunting lodge.

Yes, its a shallow candidate pool. But given the MASSIVE changes hitting NCAA football in next 2-4 years and impacts to the university, relaxing some filters (existing head coaching) and swinging for a riskier but home run potential hire while laying out ALL the resources to be successful was the right path. instead we hooked up with an old, comfortable girlfriend.

100% Accurate.

He was the guy from the get go. Criteria in what they were looking for was tailored to fit Dykes from the start, they never dug in and did a true national search, never got aggressive, never got their hands dirty, they had their guy before Gary was fired.

An accurate word for this search would be charade, that’s basically what it was.

Whats more worrying to me is how they indentified this guy as their #1 choice. He is the definition of mediocre, his numbers when you dig in are bad to plain ugly, and there is a massive sample size to support that claim.

Chongo94

Exactly what I said and have felt since Halloween. Great job getting rid of the legend that put everything he had into this program with no real vision as to what may be available. Hopefully, just hopefully, they have an silent agreement with someone, my preference is Napier, so this doesn’t turn into an even bigger disaster.

I’ll hang up and listen to the experts who never participated in college athletics and/or never coached a sport at the high school or college level.
Idiot GIF

What an absolutely awful hire. I will never know why they went this direction.

Talk about underwhelming, zero buzz, and pretty much no excitement tied to this hire. That what happens you bring in a mediocre to bad coach.

The fanbase is pretty much dived as well, with those who are okay with it, and those who absolutely despise it. Most I talked to think this was a massive failure.

Last edited: