• The KillerFrogs

Offense - Interesting Observation

Froggish

So I was on a flight early this morning with an LSU guy. We were talking football and he’s a big TCU/GP fan as his wife is a Frog. He made a really interesting observation about TCU offensively.

He said he’s always found it weird that a TCU defensive player is constantly getting his ass chewed for mistakes and getting into GPs doghouse, but you never see that on the offensive side. At least not during a game..

When I mentioned it’s mostly just the personality differences of GP/Cumbie and that a lot of fans get upset with GPs sideline antics, he stated that like it or not it reflects in the way TCU plays. There is a high level of accountability defensively and thus they generally produce. He suggested our problems offensively have a lot to do with there not being a doghouse to send them into.

I’m not sure he’s wrong. When a guy doesn’t execute offensively and he misses blocks, drops balls, and plays with a low motor. We don’t yank him and chew on him. We just keep sending out there to keep screwing up.

There doesn’t seem to be very much accountability on the offensive side.

Last edited:

JugbandFrog

So I was on a flight early this morning with an LSU guy. We were talking football and he’s a big TCU/GP fan as his wife is a Frog. He made a really interesting observation about TCU offensively.

He said he’s always found it weird that a TCU defensively player is constantly getting his ass chewed for mistakes and getting into GPS doghouse, but you never see that on the offensive side.

When I mentioned it’s mostly just the personality differences of GP/Cumbie and that a lot of fans get upset with GPs sideline antics, he stated that like it or not it reflects in the way TCU plays. There is a high level of accountability defensively and thus they generally produce. He suggested our problems offensively have a lot to do with there not being a doghouse to send them into.

I’m not sure he’s wrong. When a guy doesn’t execute offensively and he misses blocks, drops balls, and plays with a low motor. We don’t yank him and chew on him. We just keep sending out there to keep screwing up.

There doesn’t seem to be very much accountability on the offensive side.
Maybe we Cumbie should send them to a shed...

Pharm Frog

Before you light into someone for their performance on Saturday it's preferable to have been at least marginally involved in their game preparation during the week.

FrogCop19

Maybe we Cumbie should send them to a shed...
Yoda-Retina_2a7ecc26.jpeg

Approve of this message...I do.

FrogCop19

Outside of Anderson, I can’t think of one. I also feel like that was more attitude related than performance
I almost feel like our past inconsistency with receivers was his version of punishment, even though it made little sense. Get a first down catch? Get benched. Make a TD? Sit for a game.

Froggish

Before you light into someone for their performance on Saturday it's preferable to have been at least marginally involved in their game preparation during the week.

I agree..We don’t know what kind of accountability happens during the week. I don’t think anyone can deny that there appears to be a whole lot more tough love going on the defensive side of the ball.

When Lewis blows a coverage he’s usually sitting on the bench for the next series. Consequently, when DDavis, Hunt, Reagor drop a there 3rd ball of the game they are right back out there on the next possession. Or how about when Bolosomi or McKinney get whipped on pass pro after pass pro..My only point is it doesn’t appear you can lose your job on this offense. I bet you can’t consistently screw up at Bama and keep your job.

My guess with Cumbie is he decides who is going to play each week when they put in the game plan (such as it is) and pretty much sticks to those personnel groupings. The strange part is on the occasion that some of it works and a guy makes a couple of plays and we think maybe he's starting to do something, that player goes back to the bench and we don't see him for the next couple of weeks. It's a very strange way of doing business but it's about all I can I figure.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Small vignette which may support this theory. Or contradict it maybe.

At OU game, steel was sitting right at TCU sideline by the benches where the D sits. D line sits on right hand bench, secondary on left hand bench.

receiver #80 takes him a seat in the far right side of The secondary bench, while the O is on the field. GP comes over and is yelling at him, pointing telling him get over there with his unit. Kid doesn’t move. GP yells again in his face, pointing where he needs to go. To the right, again. Kid totally ignores GP. Openly insubordinate. The third effort by GP is to help the kid off the bench by his face mask. kid instead of going where GP pointed, walks left, shaking his head (more insubordination)

kid got a couple pats on the back from players when he gets to some players on the left.

also, steel noticed that #1 JR spent a lot of time standing alone on the sideline not interacting with teammates. Mostly just Dugan occasionally, who approached him not the opposite

Froggish

Small vignette which may support this theory. Or contradict it maybe.

At OU game, steel was sitting right at TCU sideline by the benches where the D sits. D line sits on right hand bench, secondary on left hand bench.

receiver #80 takes him a seat in the far right side of The secondary bench, while the O is on the field. GP comes over and is yelling at him, pointing telling him get over there with his unit. Kid doesn’t move. GP yells again in his face, pointing where he needs to go. To the right, again. Kid totally ignores GP. Openly insubordinate. The third effort by GP is to help the kid off the bench by his face mask. kid instead of going where GP pointed, walks left, shaking his head (more insubordination)

kid got a couple pats on the back from players when he gets to some players on the left.

also, steel noticed that #1 JR spent a lot of time standing alone on the sideline not interacting with teammates. Mostly just Dugan occasionally, who approached him not the opposite

That’s interesting...Sometimes it feels like there are two different teams on our sidelines. I have no idea if that’s by design but it doesn’t feel very healthy.