• The KillerFrogs

NOW it's time to fire Cumbie. No more playing around

Wexahu

There’s a big difference in replacing a coach when he’s retired, and just firing your all-time winningest coach after a couple of mediocre seasons.

I'm not really on the we need to fire him bandwagon, but it's not just a couple mediocre seasons. It's that he's been here 20 years, is 60 years old and is most likely not going to coach a whole lot longer anyway, the program seems to be on at least a slight downward trend, and he is very reluctant to change things. I've almost become more concerned about where this program will be in 2025 if he stays five more years than if he steps down. Programs around us seem to be at least making an attempt to be innovative and adapt with the times, we always want to talk about the Rose Bowl win and a few Top 10 finishes that are getting further away in the rear view mirror every year.

Pharm Frog

Has anybody said that? And I doubt anybody commenting on this forum is going to be invited to join the search committee (for good reason).

There’s a big difference in replacing a coach when he’s retired, and just firing your all-time winningest coach after a couple of mediocre seasons.
Look seven posts above your post. First sentence. That said...it’s an often posted sentiment around these parts. And I don’t think he should be fired. Good leadership would find another way.

I'm not really on the we need to fire him bandwagon, but it's not just a couple mediocre seasons. It's that he's been here 20 years, is 60 years old and is most likely not going to coach a whole lot longer anyway, the program seems to be on at least a slight downward trend, and he is very reluctant to change things. I've almost become more concerned about where this program will be in 2025 if he stays five more years than if he steps down. Programs around us seem to be at least making an attempt to be innovative and adapt with the times, we always want to talk about the Rose Bowl win and a few Top 10 finishes that are getting further away in the rear view mirror every year.
For crying out loud, we are less than two full seasons removed from a Top 10 finish, which was our third in four years at the time.

FrogREI36

I know from personal experience that Gary Patterson is an unbelievable coach and person. You are not going to find a coach out there that will fight harder for his players or school I can promise you that. Gary Patterson is hard nose, gritty, and old school we need to embrace that mentality and get back to playing Gary Patterson football not this sexy but terrible modern day RUN and GUN football.

Gary's defense is predicated on the ability to have CB's and FS that can play man coverage while getting an amazing pass rush with his front 4. Most people dont realize that in 2015 we lost Dick Bumpas who had been Garys right hand man and coaching partner since the beginning. He was the D line coach and our D line was ALWAYS AMAZING. We know have our old TE's coach coaching our D line and it shows. We also use to produce Shut down corners Nick Sanders, Jason Teague, Jason Verrett, Greg MacCoy just to name a few. Our corners now are always in great position but for the past 4 years have not been taught to turn there head and play the BALL. In order to get back to having a top 5 defense in the nation like we were accustomed to we need to get back to those things.

The offense is a whole different story. We need to clean house completely and get away from this stupid run and gun offense. I could be wrong so please fact check me here but I can not think of a single National Championship that the run and gun offense has won EVER! We need to have the ability to get under center and shotgun, run the ball and control the clock. The team that does that wins the national championship and the super bowl every year. Play great defense (We have GMFP), run the ball and control the clock, win championships.