• The KillerFrogs

November 17, 1984

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yep. The PA at Aggy wouldn't announce the Baylor-UT score, as UT was losing and would go on to lose. The thought was that if the Frogs knew what was happening in Waco they'd wake up and score some points. We Band folk began chanting "Texas lost! Texas lost!"

But, alas...

The TCU Football Jerk

TCU was beaten by a backup fullback named Terry Orr who scored 4, count them, 4 touchdowns in the second half. Some say we're the reason he got a shot in the pros. I think his son Nick played at TCU.

TCU could have still gone to the Cotton Bowl with a win against A&M the week after but lost to a mediocre Jackie Sherrill team (they were on their way up though. They never turned themselves into the NCAA so they go away with paying their players for years to come.)

Eight

TCU was beaten by a backup fullback named Terry Orr who scored 4, count them, 4 touchdowns in the second half. Some say we're the reason he got a shot in the pros. I think his son Nick played at TCU.

TCU could have still gone to the Cotton Bowl with a win against A&M the week after but lost to a mediocre Jackie Sherrill team (they were on their way up though. They never turned themselves into the NCAA so they go away with paying their players for years to come.)

terry wasn't exactly a back-up fullback as you write. he was a highly recruited prospect out of abilene who did have injury problems in college, but overcame those injuries to actually have a good nfl career of 8 years primarily with the redskins.

terry won 2 super bowl rings as a tightend.

he is indeed nick orr's father.

that atm team the next week was mediocre only in record as they were very young, but loaded with talent including ray childress, roger vick, rod bernstein, sammy o'bryant, and johnny holland to name just a few and all of those guys played in the nfl for multiple seasons.

that mediocre team absolutely kicked the [ Finebaum ] out of texas that year winning by over 20 and the next year won the conference and finished 6th in the country.

JogginFrog

I have a memory of the Orr TD catch in the 3rd quarter--not sure if correct. They faked a handoff to him up the middle; it was an intentionally poor fake and no one touched him. Safeties went to help on out patterns. Orr, a big guy at 6'3, 230, continued straight down the middle of the field and was wide open for the pass. A backbreaking play, and one I've rarely seen run before or since. You assume the faked-to RB is going to get hammered at the line and won't be a receiving threat.

Eight

I have a memory of the Orr TD catch in the 3rd quarter--not sure if correct. They faked a handoff to him up the middle; it was an intentionally poor fake and no one touched him. Safeties went to help on out patterns. Orr, a big guy at 6'3, 230, continued straight down the middle of the field and was wide open for the pass. A backbreaking play, and one I've rarely seen run before or since. You assume the faked-to RB is going to get hammered at the line and won't be a receiving threat.

it was ironic that a fred akers team would actually display a bit of creative play design.

JogginFrog

This used to be the only picture of a full Amon Carter Stadium that one could find.

I enrolled in 1998 and did not see the stadium that full until the Tech game in 2006.

A quote from the NY Times game story:

The game drew 47,280 fans, the Frogs' biggest home crowd in history, approached only by the 47,000 that turned out for the Texas A&M game in 1957.
...When scalpers surfaced this week, asking 10 times the face value of tickets, school officials shrugged their shoulders. There are no rules against scalping here. ''We haven't been sold out in 27 years,'' explained one official.
https://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/18/sports/texas-ends-tcu-s-dream.html

Almost as hard to get your head around is that the game merited coverage in the NYT.

One Frog Nation

I was deer hunting near Dublin Texas regretting not taking Dad to the game.

Ink was fresh on my law license by less than a month.

I'm glad Dad and I spent the weekend together even though we did not get a deer.

Good memories.
Hope you at least got a good Dr. Pepper in Dublin....

The TCU Football Jerk

terry wasn't exactly a back-up fullback as you write. he was a highly recruited prospect out of abilene who did have injury problems in college, but overcame those injuries to actually have a good nfl career of 8 years primarily with the redskins.

terry won 2 super bowl rings as a tightend.

he is indeed nick orr's father.

that atm team the next week was mediocre only in record as they were very young, but loaded with talent including ray childress, roger vick, rod bernstein, sammy o'bryant, and johnny holland to name just a few and all of those guys played in the nfl for multiple seasons.

that mediocre team absolutely kicked the [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] out of texas that year winning by over 20 and the next year won the conference and finished 6th in the country.

Orr was a backup fullback at the time of the tcu game, regardless of how highly recruited he was or what position he ended up playing in the nfl. And there are those that say that tcu game made his career.

As for A&M, they were in fact VERY mediocre that season. They were just beginning to start their ascendancy. They only won 6 games that year, the UT win AFTER the tcu game. I stand by my original post. Pay closer attention next time.

Eight

Orr was a backup fullback at the time of the tcu game, regardless of how highly recruited he was or what position he ended up playing in the nfl. And there are those that say that tcu game made his career.

As for A&M, they were in fact VERY mediocre that season. They were just beginning to start their ascendancy. They only won 6 games that year, the UT win AFTER the tcu game. I stand by my original post. Pay closer attention next time.

you do realize terry orr was the horns leading rusher that season.

he didn't run for much because their offense was crap, but he did have more yards than kevin nelson and edwin though simmons was either hurt or running naked through westlake hills at night that year.

as far as atm being mediocre i stand by my post that they were very young that year, started slow, lost 3 of their 5 games by a single score, and at the end of the year whipped tcu and texas. they had as much nfl quality talent as any team in the conference that year and that included smu.