• The KillerFrogs

Notre Dame sets price to stay independent; Big 12 could play a role

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Why $75 million could be the key to Notre Dame staying independent, and how the Big 12 plays a part

www.msn.com.ico
deseret on MSN.com|13 hours ago

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd reported that that NBC, the Irish's current broadcast partner, could seek "shoulder programming" from a Power Five conference to help make an annual payout like that possible.

Limey Frog

to hell with nbc

Why? Wouldn't it be good for us to have a media relationship with a network that isn't primarily invested in one of the "big 2" conferences and will always subordinate our conference's interests to theirs?

As Bob Dylan said, you gotta serve somebody...

My big question here is whether NBC could justify a $70M/yr deal with Notre Dame ($700M over ten years) and a contract paying 12-16 schools $40M alongside it. That's a big investment in college football--around $500M/yr. Still, that would be half of what Fox is throwing at the Big Ten for potentially a lot of content that could really boost Peacock's subscribers.

As importantly, if ND stays independent, there's no chance that the playoff is a two-league closed shop.

There's a lot of contingent pieces to this, but the basic outline seems good to me. It would sure make a few Pac 12 schools wonder which is the more desirable league.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Why? Wouldn't it be good for us to have a media relationship with a network that isn't primarily invested in one of the "big 2" conferences and will always subordinate our conference's interests to theirs?

As Bob Dylan said, you gotta serve somebody...

My big question here is whether NBC could justify a $70M/yr deal with Notre Dame ($700M over ten years) and a contract paying 12-16 schools $40M alongside it. That's a big investment in college football--around $500M/yr. Still, that would be half of what Fox is throwing at the Big Ten for potentially a lot of content that could really boost Peacock's subscribers.

As importantly, if ND stays independent, there's no chance that the playoff is a two-league closed shop,

There's a lot of contingent pieces to this, but the basic outline seems good to me. It would sure make a few Pac 12 schools wonder which is the more desirable league.
Putting on my horns and spiked tail, why would NBC pay 12x what they are floating to join an already saturated market? ESPN/FOX/CBS has the watchable hours already crammed with games? ND carries it's own following, thus NBC can devote all their production and resources to one game a week and get good ratings. Whether that would translate to a merged BIGXII/PAC with ND playing those programs from time to time, it would essentially put the BIGXII/PAC in the role of the Washington Generals. NBC's Bell Cow would still be ND, and they would be treated as such.

If we thought UT was bad... Yeesh!

Limey Frog

Putting on my horns and spiked tail, why would NBC pay 12x what they are floating to join an already saturated market? ESPN/FOX/CBS has the watchable hours already crammed with games? ND carries it's own following, thus NBC can devote all their production and resources to one game a week and get good ratings. Whether that would translate to a merged BIGXII/PAC with ND playing those programs from time to time, it would essentially put the BIGXII/PAC in the role of the Washington Generals. NBC's Bell Cow would still be ND, and they would be treated as such.

If we thought UT was bad... Yeesh!
I don't know. We'll see what they offer, I suppose, if they offer anything when the time comes. Everyone is talking to everyone right now, and the networks have very sophisticated ways of knowing exactly who is worth what. Factors in our favor are that a) live sports increases in value every year to TV networks, because people don't sit and watch commercials for anything else at this point, and b) people in the 'heartland' watch more college football than people on the west coast; Okie Lite and TCU, etc. aren't Georgia and Florida, but we're not UConn or Oregon State, either. I could see the Big XII being worth this much to NBC, and I could see it not being worth it. Some people are paid very well to figure out which of those is true.

They're not coming to the B12. If anything, they're using us to get a bigger pay day.
Neither the article, any poster on this thread so far, or any living person with a fair relationship to reality has suggested this.

bp4tcu

I don't know. We'll see what they offer, I suppose, if they offer anything when the time comes. Everyone is talking to everyone right now, and the networks have very sophisticated ways of knowing exactly who is worth what. Factors in our favor are that a) live sports increases in value every year to TV networks, because people don't sit and watch commercials for anything else at this point, and b) people in the 'heartland' watch more college football than people on the west coast; Okie Lite and TCU, etc. aren't Georgia and Florida, but we're not UConn or Oregon State, either. I could see the Big XII being worth this much to NBC, and I could see it not being worth it. Some people are paid very well to figure out which of those is true.

Neither the article, any poster on this thread so far, or any living person with a fair relationship to reality has suggested this.
Excellent, glad I could help.

82 Frog Fever

This is like ND is the feature band at a concert, and the B12 is just the intro band that keeps people entertained until the real shows starts. NO!

Limey Frog

This is like ND is the feature band at a concert, and the B12 is just the intro band that keeps people entertained until the real shows starts. NO!

What if you got paid $40M a year for being the opener at this concert, and the alternative is for someone else to break up your band and steal your front man, lead guitar, and bass player, leaving you with MWC money in the equivalent of Ringo's solo career?

Endless Purple

They don't have to pay $40 million per school. If just looking for a second Saturday game, they just need one game a week and can pay $10-15 million for that game each week, then other networks can bid on the remaining content for their broadcast and cable channels. Similar to now with both FOX and ESPN combining for the 12's current contracts.

82 Frog Fever

What if you got paid $40M a year for being the opener at this concert, and the alternative is for someone else to break up your band and steal your front man, lead guitar, and bass player, leaving you with MWC money in the equivalent of Ringo's solo career?
That’s just dumb. There are all sorts of crazy off the wall proposals being floated right now.
ESPN is proposing a B12 Network to replace LHN.
TCU & B12 are fine. Unless a conference can money whip WV or one of the new teams, it’s pretty stable & working to expand. Some team like Oregon, Wash., Co.,or Az. St. will make a move to B12 or B10 and the PAC will be finished.
….but saying yes to a stupid deal that makes us 2nd class could screw it all up.

82 Frog Fever

We are not going to be treated on par with ND, the SEC or B1G. I do see us picking up the Pac-12 leftovers and we will be in a strong position. I think.
Not on par necessarily, but this conference has a footprint in 3 time zones. Add in any of 6 mentioned PAC schools and it becomes a very strong footprint in 3 zones.
The B12 should eventually provide some network with 12 hours of potential football coverage in a single conference/contract. Saves the network $$$, and gets the B12 a nice contract.
All I’m saying is the B12 will be strong enough to stand on its own and cut it’s own deals.
Not deals that make us 2nd fiddle.

Eight

Collingsworth I can tolerate. Tirico is an ass.

agree completely on tirico, chris has lost a great deal off his fastball and it seems he does no prep work for the sunday night games based upon some of his in game comments

my biggest issue with chris is somehow his son has gotten a job with them and he is not good.

if the price of enjoying a legend like jack buck is having to mute every game called by joe so be it, but chris isn't in that level with jack and when you combine his kid with phil simms' son you get total shot show

Limey Frog

That’s just dumb. There are all sorts of crazy off the wall proposals being floated right now.
ESPN is proposing a B12 Network to replace LHN.
TCU & B12 are fine. Unless a conference can money whip WV or one of the new teams, it’s pretty stable & working to expand. Some team like Oregon, Wash., Co.,or Az. St. will make a move to B12 or B10 and the PAC will be finished.
….but saying yes to a stupid deal that makes us 2nd class could screw it all up.

I'm not saying I think it's overwhelmingly likely that the Big XII will be picked apart by the Pac 12, but things could change. This time last year more than half of our conference members were beating the door down for a Pac 12 invite, now we're at this point. If things stabilize and Oregon & UW reach a point of understanding that they will never get a Big Ten invite, things could swing back. I think it's a situation where we have to take shots when they're there to be taken.

And as far as "making our deal" goes, I didn't understand the article in the OP to be suggesting that the Big XII and ND would be on a combined deal. I think the point is that if NBC is going to meet ND's asking price that represents a major commitment to college football content, which the network can't really build around if its inventory amounts to a grand total of eight football games per year. They would have their 'flagship' contract with ND, and also a separate contract with the Big XII. together those would give a number of reasons for people to watch/subscribe to NBC on Saturdays in the fall.

They don't have to pay $40 million per school. If just looking for a second Saturday game, they just need one game a week and can pay $10-15 million for that game each week, then other networks can bid on the remaining content for their broadcast and cable channels. Similar to now with both FOX and ESPN combining for the 12's current contracts.

That's true. I guess I'm thinking in ideal terms for us rather than all of the other possibilities. I'd rather have one major backer, and preferably one that isn't as or more invested in other conferences. Still, NBC's interest here is, among other things, Peacock. What they need there is 2nd and 3rd tier rights, so they may have a strong incentive to go all in.

Last edited: