• The KillerFrogs

Noting to see here

Limey Frog

Please, please, please UNLV, cut football. You can live as a basketball only school. You practically are already.

UNLV drops football, MWC adds Boise. Conference football loses a weakling and adds a stud.

And there was much rejoicing.

I don't think I've ever seen "Administration" budgeted as a revenue line -- and it's their biggest money maker, even ahead of their state appropriation. Grants? Bake sales? Tithing by administrators?

joejordan

QUOTE(BigRedFrog @ Apr 13 2010, 10:16 AM) [snapback]544089[/snapback]
I don't think I've ever seen "Administration" budgeted as a revenue line -- and it's their biggest money maker, even ahead of their state appropriation. Grants? Bake sales? Tithing by administrators?

some ticket sales, logo merchandise, concessions, sponsorships. The revenue within the sports is primarily when the team gets TV dollars or conference money (such as in football).

QUOTE(crunch @ Apr 13 2010, 08:30 AM) [snapback]544098[/snapback]
some ticket sales, logo merchandise, concessions, sponsorships. The revenue within the sports is primarily when the team gets TV dollars or conference money (such as in football).

Understood. Just seems a bit odd to me to budget that as Administration when so many other cost and revenue centers are broken out.

FrogAbroad

"Generally, there are two things on campus that make money -- football and parking," Hauck said. "We need to get to the point where we're helping generate some revenue around here. We want to do our part, and we can. If we're worth watching, people will come watch us."

Uhm...that ain't necessarily so.

I know of a certain large city with a reasonably mobile, financially well-off population, and with a double-digit wins football team (Top 10, no less!). The citizens of this city somehow regularly fail to fill up a modest-size stadium to see some of the best football in the whole state.

Just goes to show a great product still may be hard to sell to the population.

froginaustin

QUOTE(Limey Frog @ Apr 13 2010, 08:01 AM) [snapback]544077[/snapback]
Please, please, please UNLV, cut football. You can live as a basketball only school. You practically are already.

UNLV drops football, MWC adds Boise. Conference football loses a weakling and adds a stud.

We better hope that the relative financial weaklings of the MWC hang in there. If the conference starts losing schools in locations that have relatively bad economies and legislatures desperate to cut public expenditures-- UNLV and SDSU are probably at the head of that line-- we could end up with a really screwed up conference that would have a hard time adding anyone (that we would want).

joejordan

These releases are early test-firings in the battle looming over TV money and it's distribution, especially the BCS horde.

Semi-bad analogy: The Earth produces plenty of food to feed all of it's inhabitants, yet there are millions of people that don't get enough to survive. There are myriad reasons for this condition, some caused by the people themselves, but there is a solution out there. It will take leadership to get there. We don't have that, yet.

masterfrog

UNLV football has been big news in Las Vegas for the past month. Several of the television stations have run stories about how much money the program is losing. With budget cuts, UNLV is starting to trim whole programs from the university. Many people cannot understand how you can cut education but keep a football program that has little interest. Computer Science, Journalism, Mechanical Engineering and Educational Leadership are all among programs that might be cancelled due to funding shortages. The whole situation really has people asking the question, "How important is football in the realm of education?"

oldscribe

Aren't they counting the revenue from the slots? (there are slot machines everywhere else in Vegas; I figure they must have em all over the campus, too).

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(Limey Frog @ Apr 13 2010, 09:01 AM) [snapback]544077[/snapback]

The MWC has a rule against non-football schools. If they dropped it, they would have to hope the conference changes its rules or they would have to find a new home. The Big West would probably take them. The Rebels might not bring much in football, but it sure is nice having the basketball tournament in Vegas every year. I'd hate to lose that - Boise doesn't have quite the same allure.

I'm surprised their football revenue isn't higher. The amount they list there seems to account for our conference TV revenue plus ticket sales. Were bowl revenues not included? Was that part of "Administration"?

Anyway, worst comes to worst and a couple of MWC football programs fold, we can add Boise and Fresno and come out ahead, maybe. They'd trip over themselves getting out of the WAC. I hope it doesn't come to that.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 13 2010, 09:58 AM) [snapback]544119[/snapback]
Nice that their men's hoops operates in the black ...

doh! turned the columns around in my head ... but at least a lighter shade of red as opposed to the bloody red ink of the football program.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(FrogAbroad @ Apr 13 2010, 09:57 AM) [snapback]544118[/snapback]
Uhm...that ain't necessarily so.

I know of a certain large city with a reasonably mobile, financially well-off population, and with a double-digit wins football team (Top 10, no less!). The citizens of this city somehow regularly fail to fill up a modest-size stadium to see some of the best football in the whole state.

Just goes to show a great product still may be hard to sell to the population.[/b][/color]

TCU is among the Top 64 schools in the country in athletic revenue - the only such nonAQ school on the list.

frogbyproxy

Sooo what the article is saying is "If the BCS had paid an equal share and was distributed between schools equally UNLV would not have a problem". $18 Million to BCS schools and non BCS instead of $9 Million non BCS. Congress needs to bail them out due to non action against the BCS. :tongue:

masterfrog

QUOTE(halfwaytoheaven @ Apr 13 2010, 10:02 AM) [snapback]544210[/snapback]
The Rebels might not bring much in football, but it sure is nice having the basketball tournament in Vegas every year. I'd hate to lose that - Boise doesn't have quite the same allure.

That doesn't even need to be a concern. The WAC and the West Coast Conference are both having their basketball tournaments in Las Vegas this year. The Mountain West could be there without UNLV.

Endless Purple

I wouldn't mind at all if UNLV dropped football. I would like to see them in the conference for all the other sports still.

This would be the ideal way to add Boise. 9 teams for a football schedule and 10 teams for basketball which so many people seem to like.

Not to mention dropping UNLV football raises our BCS auto-bid chances by as much or more than adding Boise. It is the bottom averages that hurt us the most in the third overall criteria. We already meet the top qualifications.