• The KillerFrogs

Not getting enough blame: Our ATROCIOUS Punting

tcumaniac

When you look at the team stats from Saturday:
-We had more first downs (22 vs 14)
-We had more total yards (366 vs 266)
-We had fewer penalty yards (38 vs 79)
-We had more time of possession (31:43 vs 28:17)

The glaring difference in the game was our punting (which ranks nearly dead last in the country)

Jordan Sandy:
-6 punts
-216 total yards
-36 yard average (30 yard average if you include the block)
-1 blocked punt

K State Punter:
-7 punts
-343 total yards
-49 yard average

Zero punt returns for TCU.
2 punt returns for K State totaling 26 yards.

That's a net difference of 153 yards.

All of our other issues aside, there may not be a bigger weakness on our football team right now than our punter. They were able to flip the field all game, which led to extremely better field position for Kansas Sate.

Wexahu

When you look at the team stats from Saturday:
-We had more first downs (22 vs 14)
-We had more total yards (366 vs 266)
-We had fewer penalty yards (38 vs 79)
-We had more time of possession (31:43 vs 28:17)

The glaring difference in the game was our punting (which ranks nearly dead last in the country)

Jordan Sandy:
-6 punts
-216 total yards
-36 yard average (30 yard average if you include the block)
-1 blocked punt

K State Punter:
-7 punts
-343 total yards
-49 yard average

Zero punt returns for TCU.
2 punt returns for K State totaling 26 yards.

That's a net difference of 153 yards.

All of our other issues aside, there may not be a bigger weakness on our football team right now than our punter. They were able to flip the field all game, which led to extremely better field position for Kansas Sate.

Fair enough, but nobody punts inside the 50 yard line more than we do. I think one was from the 35. Hard to net 50 yards on a punt from the 35.

tcumaniac

Fair enough, but nobody punts inside the 50 yard line more than we do. I think one was from the 35. Hard to net 50 yards on a punt from the 35.
Good point. I don't think it completely eliminates the premise that punting is a big weakness, but it certainly adds some important perspective I didn't initially consider.

Eight

Good point. I don't think it completely eliminates the premise that punting is a big weakness, but it certainly adds some important perspective I didn't initially consider.

someone brought up net punting last week and i did a little research. frogs have on average punted near mid field all year and have punted multiple times inside the opponents 40.

jake102

Yeah he's pretty bad and is punting with restrictions on top of it.

Then you flip to punt return and Reagor has to be the worst PR in college football. I can only guess how many football fields we've given up watching catchable punts roll

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
GMFP likes to pin opponents deep in their end. Thus, he likes a good strategic punting game. Such a course of action doesn't lend itself to gaudy stats, as noted, but with an effective defense it yields good field position in most cases.

Sadly, we don't have a good defense. Hence the 95-yard drives that kill us dead in games...

Froggish

Didn’t we punt from KSUs side of the field twice and another 2 times around our own 48...I think sometimes it’s better to measure punt quality by the opponents average starting field position

cheese83

Yeah his net has to be skewed, that one punt last game was insane. I mean we were pretty close, technically field goal range w three kickers on schollie right (or just 2?), and then punted.

Froggy Style

I agree with the post, but have been surprise nobody commented on letting everyone rush unblocked except by the three middle men. K State rushes 5 guys unblock and it just took one guy to reach his hand in.

Very strange technique.

TCURiggs

I hear every argument about him not being that bad, but he has been pretty unimpressive when he's got a green light to unleash one. I remember being optimistic the first game or two, but dude has hit some surprising duds quite often. We've seemed to have found one of the rare Aussie punters who can't kick the ship out of it on regularity.

I hear every argument about him not being that bad, but he has been pretty unimpressive when he's got a green light to unleash one. I remember being optimistic the first game or two, but dude has hit some surprising duds quite often. We've seemed to have found one of the rare Aussie punters who can't kick the ship out of it on regularity.
To go along with the only Leach/Air Raid guy who can't figure out a way to get at least a few pitch and catch throws to jump start his passing game.

SnoSki

2 of his 7 attempts were downed at the 5 and a 3rd was downed inside the 20. 5 of his 7 punts were downed inside K-State's 26 yard-line. 1 was blocked and was was a bad punt (33 yards and downed at the 37). Punting is not the problem here.

He had a bad punt at KSU but all season I think he’s been fine for us. We punt a LOT from inside midfield because our kickers can’t be trusted beyond 40 on a calm day.

Just saying that you’re not gonna have a 60 yard punt when the LOS is at the opponent 38.

I’d be more interested in seeing where he ranks on punts when we are well short of midfield and need a booming kick.