• The KillerFrogs

Northwestern; why not us?

Limey Frog

https://theathletic.com/2198213/202...rdue-big-ten-west/?source=user_shared_article

Smaller private school, longtime conference also-ran revived by a defensive-minded coach who has been in place for two decades. They wear purple, play solid defense and have been anemic on offense for years. A head coach known for (too much) loyalty to his subordinates let go of hapless OC Mike McCall last off-season and just like that the Wildcats are an upset of Wisconsin away from being the clubhouse leader for the ticket to play tOSU for it all.

Paging GP: get your act together or retire.

(Sorry if this comparison has already been made to death; I haven't checked the site much in about a year or so because it's all been too depressing.)

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://theathletic.com/2198213/202...rdue-big-ten-west/?source=user_shared_article

Smaller private school, longtime conference also-ran revived by a defensive-minded coach who has been in place for two decades. They wear purple, play solid defense and have been anemic on offense for years. A head coach known for (too much) loyalty to his subordinates let go of hapless OC Mike McCall last off-season and just like that the Wildcats are an upset of Wisconsin away from being the clubhouse leader for the ticket to play tOSU for it all.

(Sorry if this comparison has already been made to death; I haven't checked the site much in about a year or so because it's all been too depressing.)
Which is what GP did when he brought in Cumbie and Meach the first time. I think he erred in bringing in Kill too. Too many.

Eight

few things, fitzgerald didn't pull a bill snyder at northwestern.

the wildcats were bad for a very long time, but actually went to the rose bowl under gary barnett they won an outright big 10 title in 95 and a co-title in 96. he left after 1998 and was replaced by randy walker from miami of ohio.

walker had a great staff including kevin wilson and pat fitzgerald and the wildcats won a big 10 title in 2000 and two other bowl games, but then he died in the off-season in 2006 and was replaced by fitzgerald

fitzgerald has won more games than any other northwestern head coach and taken them to multiple bowl games, but to date hasn't won a big 10 title like barnett or walker

the lesson to me here is that if you make the right hires it is possible for success to follow you as it didn't die off after barnett left or walker's unexpected death

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

I’m guessing Northwestern would be envious of our run since 1999. They aren’t close.

Paul in uhh

Meacham and Cumbie want to run a wide open offense. Kill is use to the grind it out Big 10 offense. Together we have grind it down offense. This is not working.
Square peg, round hole.

I get the feeling Kill will be our OC next year and we will run a slower offense centered on the run game.

flyfishingfrog

few things, fitzgerald didn't pull a bill snyder at northwestern.

the wildcats were bad for a very long time, but actually went to the rose bowl under gary barnett they won an outright big 10 title in 95 and a co-title in 96. he left after 1998 and was replaced by randy walker from miami of ohio.

walker had a great staff including kevin wilson and pat fitzgerald and the wildcats won a big 10 title in 2000 and two other bowl games, but then he died in the off-season in 2006 and was replaced by fitzgerald

fitzgerald has won more games than any other northwestern head coach and taken them to multiple bowl games, but to date hasn't won a big 10 title like barnett or walker

the lesson to me here is that if you make the right hires it is possible for success to follow you as it didn't die off after barnett left or walker's unexpected death
Look I don’t like where we are at all

but are seriously using Northwestern and a few years of success over 25 years to present on how they have been successful transitioning coaching staffs?

PO Frog

Look I don’t like where we are at all

but are seriously using Northwestern and a few years of success over 25 years to present on how they have been successful transitioning coaching staffs?
No I don't think he is, or at least OP wasn't. He was saying a semi-successful, decades tenured defensive-minded coach grew some nuts and fired a long-time unsuccessful offensive staff and brought in something totally new and fresh. And what do you know, they are making waves again.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yep. Never heard the name before. I guess I should be embarrassed. Art is really not my thing. Have literally zero interest in it.
Nothing to be embarrassed about. Pollock was a talentless drunk that the "Critics" elevated to stardom, when his "art" was little more than what would be produced by a 3-year-old playing with paint and canvas.

Like many that the "Critics" tell us are great, I really consider to be sick jokes foisted upon us simply to see just how gullible the public actually is...

flyfishingfrog

No I don't think he is, or at least OP wasn't. He was saying a semi-successful, decades tenured defensive-minded coach grew some nuts and fired a long-time unsuccessful offensive staff and brought in something totally new and fresh. And what do you know, they are making waves again.
That might have been with the OP was doing - which is still debatable at NW

but Eight was trying to show that NW wasn’t killed by a long tenured coach- but since they where barely alive to start I guess I didn’t see the parallel to TCU

YA

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Pollock was a talentless drunk that the "Critics" elevated to stardom, when his "art" was little more than what would be produced by a 3-year-old playing with paint and canvas.

Like many that the "Critics" tell us are great, I really consider to be sick jokes foisted upon us simply to see just how gullible the public actually is...

Your art career was over before it even started-----one of his paintings sold for $140 million!!!