• The KillerFrogs

Non-TCU football...anyone else here ever see Brack-Lee 1963

Limp Lizard

Finally that game is on youtube! I was spending Thanksgiving with relatives in San Antonio and my cousins were all excited about this bi-district game with two all-state players. So I watched the game on TV and was wowed, especially by Warren McVea. Lee was much bigger in size, had better uniforms, better coaching and had the all-state player Linus Baer who was a big strong back with good moves and speed.
All Brackenridge had was Warren McVea who played at QB and who was the offense. Ran for 215 yards on 21 carries. Most of the plays were defensed properly, but McVea somehow made big yards anyway. Lee won 55-48. Can't wait to watch it. Recommend it for HS football fans.

Limp Lizard

The 4 part docu on youtube is more talking than actual game, but all the big plays are there. Lee outweighed Brack by 20 pounds per player and had given up only 62 points that year. A look at the stats are interesting. Obviously McVea was as bad a passer as he was a great runner.
1465485620-FullSizeRender.jpg

Eight

different era of high school football with the rounder footballs and wider hashes.

10 total passes which you often will see in the first 2 series of a high school game today.

Limp Lizard

different era of high school football with the rounder footballs and wider hashes.

10 total passes which you often will see in the first 2 series of a high school game today.
And also much, much lower scoring games back then, which made this game unique. Lee could throw the ball, but didn't have to against an outmatched Brack team. Brack had no passing game...just McVea, and that was almost enough. One of those few times when the hype was exceeded by the game.
Wonder if many here would be happier back then when it was run, run, run?