• The KillerFrogs

Noah Daniels injury update

Froggish

Your first paragraph is correct, your second paragraph is mostly wrong. It definitely wasn't a top of the line TCU defense, but a below average TCU defense should still win you 8-9 games. The difference in those 3-4 games is the offense being a total unmitigated disaster. Sure - if we had our 2014 defense, we probably go 8-4, but if we had our 2014 offense we probably go 11-1 or 12-0.

It's hard for me to hold GP to a standard of being a top 20 defense every single season. If we are calling #36 in the nation "not very good", then I guess we have different expectations.

Correct me if I’m wrong but that #36 ranking is Total Def which is largely based on yardage totals. So, IMO relative to TCU standards I stand by my statement that we weren’t very good defensively last year. Am I saying we had a bad defense? Not at all and I absolutely agree in regards to your 8-9 win statement. We played well enough defensively to get to 8 wins.

* Looking at B12 Conference games only, over our 8 year history in the B12*

It’s awfully hard for me to reconcile this...

The 2019 defense faced fewer plays than any TCU defense in the B12 era and it also gave up more points per game than any TCU defense in the B12 era..by TCU standards it’s hard to call that a very good defense. Also I believe for the first time ever under GP we got to QB less than 2 times a game at 1.78...That’s awful

CountryFrog

Correct me if I’m wrong but that #36 ranking is Total Def which is largely based on yardage totals. So, IMO relative to TCU standards I stand by my statement that we weren’t very good defensively last year. Am I saying we had a bad defense? Not at all and I absolutely agree in regards to your 8-9 win statement. We played well enough defensively to get to 8 wins.

* Looking at B12 Conference games only, over our 8 year history in the B12*

It’s awfully hard for me to reconcile this...

The 2019 defense faced fewer plays than any TCU defense in the B12 era and it also gave up more points per game than any TCU defense in the B12 era..by TCU standards it’s hard to call that a very good defense. Also I believe for the first time ever under GP we got to QB less than 2 times a game at 1.78...That’s awful
The DE play was dreadful in basically every game. Some games we overcame it and some games we didn't. I have a lot of optimism about next year's defense but it's certainly tempered quite a bit by my worry about that position. You can only be so good without a pass rush.