• The KillerFrogs

Noah Daniels injury update

Punter1

Very much. Healthy Noah along with what we saw from Tomlinson and Stewart last year and I feel very good about our secondary.

Add Juco T Wallace to the mix who I believe got a RS last season. You need 4 experienced CBs and that should give us a bunch to choose from.

I wish we could convince D Davis to take a RS and move to CB...I think he would have pro potential on defense with his quickness and ball skills.

CryptoMiner

Ceasar also in the mix, mostly ST play last year but did show some skills in limited time on D. Having the freshman Jenkins on campus early and Collins ready should make for some good competition this spring.

Froggish

We should be solid in the secondary but if Daniels and Vongor can push back in the mix....Look Out...

Both Vongor and Daniels reaching their potential could push the secondary to great. Big If!!

asleep003

I wish we could convince D Davis to take a RS and move to CB...I think he would have pro potential on defense with his quickness and ball skills.

Isn't our 2nd biggest need/issue, solidifying a solid WR core... and isn't he part of a small group that we can depend on... of the returning WRs, he ranks 3rd in ypc.

Punter1

Isn't our 2nd biggest need/issue, solidifying a solid WR core... and isn't he part of a small group that we can depend on... of the returning WRs, he ranks 3rd in ypc.

I hear ya...I just think his ceiling is 10x higher as a CB and he is who he is as a WR....just won't get much better.

I'd rather his reps go to some true WRs or even TEs. There is also no reason why Q Johnson and S Williams can't play some slot this year. We used to put 6'5 E Porter in the slot all the time.

CountryFrog

You're not familiar with Punter's work in this area. He's all about taking average to good offensive players, moving them to a position they've never played on defense, and then watching them become All-Americans and 1st round draft picks.

Punter1

You're not familiar with Punter's work in this area. He's all about taking average to good offensive players, moving them to a position they've never played on defense, and then watching them become All-Americans and 1st round draft picks.

Sewo was average to good. D Davis isnt that high. I just have loved how GP has moved average offensive players to defense with great success...Jerry Hughes, Sam Carter, Paul Dawson, etc.

I know he isn't likely to move just like Sewo didnt...but it's fun to discuss. I just see D Davis in defense being another A Washington back there flying around making plays.

Eight

I hear ya...I just think his ceiling is 10x higher as a CB and he is who he is as a WR....just won't get much better.

I'd rather his reps go to some true WRs or even TEs. There is also no reason why Q Johnson and S Williams can't play some slot this year. We used to put 6'5 E Porter in the slot all the time.

you are talking about the same emanuel porter who averaged roughly a catch a game over his career?

derius is the perfect example of a great high school athlete who has to learn how to play a new position in college. his high school footage on offense was primarily his taking a toss and out running everyone for a damn good reason.

no routes, no passing concepts, no working to get free from a jam. etc.... and he would have benefited from red-shirting his freshman season.

he didn't, he needs to get better, but in all honesty no one in the frogs returning receiving corps provides much certainty. barber has shown the most potential but he has to stay healthy, dylan thomas has been plain snakebit, hunt-stephens-davis are only consistent in their inconsistency.

derius got a chance to make that choice early in his time in ft worth, he wants to play offense and right now they need every potential receiver they can find until they get a group who can be trusted to catch the damn ball

Eight

Sewo was average to good. D Davis isnt that high. I just have loved how GP has moved average offensive players to defense with great success...Jerry Hughes, Sam Carter, Paul Dawson, etc.

I know he isn't likely to move just like Sewo didnt...but it's fun to discuss. I just see D Davis in defense being another A Washington back there flying around making plays.

paul dawson was a wide receiver in high school who became a linebacker at juco and not at tcu.

i saw sam carter in high school and he was the classic best athlete on the field playing both ways and having him playing quarterback meant he touched the ball every play. sam wasn't going to be a quarterback.

gary has also had more than a few busts and in the end you can't make kid want to make the move or have the attitude needed to play defense

Froggish

We are still gonna need better DE play. That's what makes the DBs shine. Last season was the worst for our DEs in a loooooooong time.

Our fans get blinded by total yards which drives Total Defense rankings. In 2019 we had our worst scoring defense, second worst yards per play, lowest sack totals, and they faced fewer snaps than any TCU defense has since joining the B12.

The defense wasn’t very good last year and honestly deserves more of the blame for us missing a bowl than they are getting.

jake102

Our fans get blinded by total yards which drives Total Defense rankings. In 2019 we had our worst scoring defense, second worst yards per play, lowest sack totals, and they faced fewer snaps than any TCU defense has since joining the B12.

The defense wasn’t very good last year and honestly deserves more of the blame for us missing a bowl than they are getting.

Your first paragraph is correct, your second paragraph is mostly wrong. It definitely wasn't a top of the line TCU defense, but a below average TCU defense should still win you 8-9 games. The difference in those 3-4 games is the offense being a total unmitigated disaster. Sure - if we had our 2014 defense, we probably go 8-4, but if we had our 2014 offense we probably go 11-1 or 12-0.

It's hard for me to hold GP to a standard of being a top 20 defense every single season. If we are calling #36 in the nation "not very good", then I guess we have different expectations.

Purp

Your first paragraph is correct, your second paragraph is mostly wrong. It definitely wasn't a top of the line TCU defense, but a below average TCU defense should still win you 8-9 games. The difference in those 3-4 games is the offense being a total unmitigated disaster. Sure - if we had our 2014 defense, we probably go 8-4, but if we had our 2014 offense we probably go 11-1 or 12-0.

It's hard for me to hold GP to a standard of being a top 20 defense every single season. If we are calling #36 in the nation "not very good", then I guess we have different expectations.
There were definitely a couple games early in the season where the defense felt like the reason we lost, but for half to 2/3 of the season they were the reason we had a chance in most games.

Wexahu

I have a feeling that had our offense been any good, the defense wouldn’t have finished #36. Opponents offenses probably stayed in 2nd gear against us because they didn’t need to press the issue much because our offense stunk.

I know I never had much confidence the defense could get a stop when they really needed one.

jake102

I have a feeling that had our offense been any good, the defense wouldn’t have finished #36. Opponents offenses probably stayed in 2nd gear against us because they didn’t need to press the issue much because our offense stunk.

I know I never had much confidence the defense could get a stop when they really needed one.

Perhaps if our offense had been any good then our defense would have played with a little more fire and confidence? Too hard to guess that game.

CountryFrog

The defense had some poor games. SMU and Iowa St were terrible. They also had some poor moments in what were otherwise solid if not spectacular performances like KSU and WVU. Overall they were good enough to win us 8-9 games imo.

The offense had a poor SEASON with only momentary success in games here and there.

I don't care at all about the stats and I certainly don't care about playing the endless hypothetical what if game. Just my opinion of the type of football I saw from each side. Special teams outside of the FG kicker was also pretty consistently average or below average.