• The KillerFrogs

No excuse for calling it a ground-rule double

TCUExaminer

Contributor
According to 105.3 The Fan, the umpire just told the press it should have been a home run.

Ya' think?

It's not that he blew the call. It's that he was adamant that what he thought he saw was right, when he was clearly wrong. Video replay for home run calls is there for a reason. Crap, the umps in the Boston game got it right tonight!

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(TCUExaminer @ May 19 2010, 10:44 PM) [snapback]561824[/snapback]
According to 105.3 The Fan, the umpire just told the press it should have been a home run.

Ya' think?

It's not that he blew the call. It's that he was adamant that what he thought he saw was right, when he was clearly wrong. Video replay for home run calls is there for a reason. Crap, the umps in the Boston game got it right tonight!

Tell that to FOAP.
Banter with this guy, FOAP.
Failure to do so exposes your love for Shack - he who you follow in his The Generally Bored footsteps.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(TopFrog @ May 19 2010, 10:49 PM) [snapback]561828[/snapback]
Wash said he did not ask for a replay ... why the heck not?

He does a lot of things that make you scratch your head.
And Wade gets all the area shirt?
Wash makes Wade look like Einstein.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(2314 @ May 19 2010, 10:46 PM) [snapback]561825[/snapback]
Tell that to FOAP.
Banter with this guy, FOAP.
Failure to do so exposes your love for Shack - he who you follow in his The Generally Bored footsteps.

Your stance that just because he missed a call makes him unqualified to be an MLB ump is wrong. I agree he blew it, and should have used replay. However, just because he blew a call does not make him unqualified.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ May 19 2010, 11:37 PM) [snapback]561838[/snapback]
Your stance that just because he missed a call makes him unqualified to be an MLB ump is wrong. I agree he blew it, and should have used replay. However, just because he blew a call does not make him unqualified.

FOAP, is your head so far up your arse that you missed the point? You can READ, right?
I guess you are too young to see the root problem.
He had the resources to thoroughly cover every base, yet was too egotistical/stubborn to do his job right.
It has nothing to do with missing a call, which he did as well.
You better learn how to pick your battles so you won't look this stupid again.

BABYFACE

Coke break?

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(2314 @ May 20 2010, 12:08 AM) [snapback]561840[/snapback]
He had the resources to thoroughly cover every base, yet was too egotistical/stubborn to do his job right.

I felt the same way until the Washington interview after the game. The umpire felt sure he had the call right, he told Washington what he saw, and Washington didn't question it or ask for a review. If Washington had asked for a review and the umpire refused I'd agree with you, but since he didn't, I don't.

It was simply a missed call by the umpire and a poor decision by Washington not to ask them to look at it again.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(BABYFACE @ May 20 2010, 12:23 AM) [snapback]561842[/snapback]
Coke break?

He always like talking to pitchers because it means a trip to the bump ...

D

Daniel Plainview

QUOTE(2314 @ May 19 2010, 10:19 PM) [snapback]561813[/snapback]
Wow! They found a way to win, again.
I think this is a good sign.
Ump off the hook.

WOW, so it's always someone elses fault until your team wins. dallas fans are ridiculous.

there are bad calls in everygame. to pick one out and blame losing the game on it is obsurd. Usually if someone wants to blame something on a bad call you can go in and show them 10x as many plays where if the team hadn't messed up then the call wouldn't have mattered.

TCUExaminer

Contributor
QUOTE(Daniel Plainview @ May 20 2010, 08:41 AM) [snapback]561900[/snapback]
WOW, so it's always someone elses fault until your team wins. dallas fans are ridiculous.

there are bad calls in everygame. to pick one out and blame losing the game on it is obsurd. Usually if someone wants to blame something on a bad call you can go in and show them 10x as many plays where if the team hadn't messed up then the call wouldn't have mattered.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. However, there are instances where teams have put themselves in a position to win a game and a bad call ruined that opportunity.

Just one example: the double down the line that Teixeira hit against Oakland a few years ago that was clearly on the line -- chalk flew up and created a rather large cloud, but the ump called it foul. It was with two outs and two strikes already and would have driven in the tying and go-ahead runs for Texas. Tex goes out and argues the call with the ump, ends up getting tossed and the pinch hitter has one shot. Swings and misses.

I put that loss solely on the umpiring crew. Texas did what they had to do to win that game, only to get hosed and told not only was it "a foul ball," but we're going to toss your best hitter as well and force a spare to come in with two strikes.

Sometimes a bad call does indeed lose a game.

Having said that, it clearly was not the case last night but a bad call can do things to completely throw a team off or ruin what momentum they had gathered before-hand.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Daniel Plainview @ May 20 2010, 08:41 AM) [snapback]561900[/snapback]

That's not the point, not when there is a rule in place, and the technology available to make sure a critical, potential game-changing call is made correctly. As was done last night in the NY-Bosox game, as is done in football and basketball.

And 2314 was joking, but you decided to be an arse with him for no reason. However, it is true the umpiring crew is off the hook, the crew chief admitted he screwed up and they should have reviewed it. Might want to read the articles about it.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(2314 @ May 20 2010, 12:08 AM) [snapback]561840[/snapback]
FOAP, is your head so far up your arse that you missed the point? You can READ, right?
I guess you are too young to see the root problem.
It has nothing to do with missing a call, which he did as well.
You better learn how to pick your battles so you won't look this stupid again.

LOL. Okay. I didn't disagree with you about him being stubborn. I just disagreed with the part that just because he initially missed the call meant he was unqualified. I actually knew Durwood and he let me know that umpiring is no easy job. I used to do it at my grandpas baseball camp growing up during the summers and I hated it as well. Umpiring 7-16 year old kids isn't that easy and I would imagine MLB is a pretty tough game as well.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ May 20 2010, 10:04 AM) [snapback]561968[/snapback]
LOL. Okay. I didn't disagree with you about him being stubborn. I just disagreed with the part that just because he initially missed the call meant he was unqualified. I actually knew Durwood and he let me know that umpiring is no easy job. I used to do it at my grandpas baseball camp growing up during the summers and I hated it as well. Umpiring 7-16 year old kids isn't that easy and I would imagine MLB is a pretty tough game as well.

Before instant replay you just lived the the call, especially in baseball. Always a human factor, and calls tend to even out over time. Baseball is tough to call, without a doubt, when you have close plays at a bag, at home, calling balls and strikes can be a very fine line. Most just want the ump to be consistent with the zone. And then they are the easy target for fans.

But, again, in today's game, with a rule and the ability review and big call ...

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(TopFrog @ May 20 2010, 10:18 AM) [snapback]561989[/snapback]
Before instant replay you just lived the the call, especially in baseball. Always a human factor, and calls tend to even out over time. Baseball is tough to call, without a doubt, when you have close plays at a bag, at home, calling balls and strikes can be a very fine line. Most just want the ump to be consistent with the zone. And then they are the easy target for fans.

But, again, in today's game, with a rule and the ability review and big call ...

Yeah they screwed the pooch not reviewing it. No doubt about it. Luckily we still won. :biggrin:

Reason 248 as to why he should be fired. He sounded like he didn't even know the rules in the post-game press conference. If he asked and was denied I'd be fine with it. But he didn't and should be held accountable.

Replay in baseball is stupid anyway...but so are umpires.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(OmniscienceFrog @ May 20 2010, 04:28 AM) [snapback]561846[/snapback]
I felt the same way until the Washington interview after the game. The umpire felt sure he had the call right, he told Washington what he saw, and Washington didn't question it or ask for a review. If Washington had asked for a review and the umpire refused I'd agree with you, but since he didn't, I don't.

It was simply a missed call by the umpire and a poor decision by Washington not to ask them to look at it again.

Nope. Not quite right. Crew chief can request a review AT ANY TIME.
But also poor decision by Wash not to use all of his resources as well.
The clock is ticking on the manager.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(2314 @ May 20 2010, 07:39 PM) [snapback]562349[/snapback]
Nope. Not quite right. Crew chief can request a review AT ANY TIME.

Yes, he can review plays that fall under the review rule at any time, but if he feels sure the correct call was made on the field and nobody argues it, what is his motivation to delay the game and review it?