• The KillerFrogs

Niko tweet

Mean Purple

I think the most likely scenario at this point is that Coach Patterson and Dylan reconcile, put aside their differences, mend fences, and Dylan goes on to be a productive player for us

That's how it always seemed to play out when I was there. So many times I thought players were goners and were either going to be kicked off the team or transfer out of anger because of their feud with the coaching staff, but instead reconciled and ended up being not only a productive player, but spoke praises of TCU after graduating

Coach Patterson is big on 2nd chances(for internal disputes) and reconciling

Bookmark this
I hope so. But his current tweets seem to differ. Hopefully some team leaders will calm him down so he can think straight.

TCUdirtbag

Open question: Is it culturally inappropriate to bar the use of that word by Black players in the course of football operations?

I'm no lawyer, but is it right to think that 1st amendment protections don't apply in employment settings (presuming football operations are employment settings)?

Enquiring minds wish to know.

The first amendment bars certain (most) limitations on speech by state actors. TCU nor its employees are state actors. So you don’t have a legal issue here.

Even at a private institution you could get into some hot water on the academic side of campus with academic freedom issues connected to speech depending on the contents of the faculty handbook (and in union states the CBO with the faculty and even staff unions). But this situation obviously doesn’t fall into these categories either.

At a public university you have to be a little more careful. You can have reasonable time place and manner restrictions on speech so long as they are content neutral. Generally speaking state actors can’t “ban the n word.” But are there any 1A buffs out there that know the case law on whether a public university athletics program could get away with banning the use of curse words and slurs during official football activities (meetings, practice, etc), as a content-neutral restrictions to prevent disruption of team activities?

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I think the most likely scenario at this point is that Coach Patterson and Dylan reconcile, put aside their differences, mend fences, and Dylan goes on to be a productive player for us

That's how it always seemed to play out when I was there. So many times I thought players were goners and were either going to be kicked off the team or transfer out of anger because of their feud with the coaching staff, but instead reconciled and ended up being not only a productive player, but spoke praises of TCU after graduating

Coach Patterson is big on 2nd chances(for internal disputes) and reconciling

Bookmark this

I would like to hope that's what happens.

giphy.gif

Mean Purple

Not sure one player on the team is defending Jordan's action. They know what happened, addressed internally and then Jordan stepped out.

yeah, he's doing some harm to relationships. it's just crazy, GP gets on the kid for breaking the rule. kid argues that he did nothing, and when GP gives the kid the quote of the word he used (breaking a team rule - as now confirmed by past players) the kid tries to get GP kicked out. Sorry, but that just seems how he is playing it.

PhillyFrog

The first amendment bars certain (most) limitations on speech by state actors. TCU nor its employees are state actors. So you don’t have a legal issue here.

Even at a private institution you could get into some hot water on the academic side of campus with academic freedom issues connected to speech depending on the contents of the faculty handbook (and in union states the CBO with the faculty and even staff unions). But this situation obviously doesn’t fall into these categories either.

At a public university you have to be a little more careful. You can have reasonable time place and manner restrictions on speech so long as they are content neutral. Generally speaking state actors can’t “ban the n word.” But are there any 1A buffs out there that know the case law on whether a public university athletics program could get away with banning the use of curse words and slurs during official football activities (meetings, practice, etc), as a content-neutral restrictions to prevent disruption of team activities?

This is why I like this Board so forking much.

Wexahu

Had crossover time with Niko and dating myself here but I've never heard Coach P use that word, Ever. I did hear him, Coach Cross and others come down hard on those who did use it.

DeMontie Cross would LIGHT into anyone till next Tuesday, defense or offense, who said it at practice or games.

So a program that is probably more anti N-word than about any other program out there is going through this. Sounds about right.

Mean Purple

I've never heard Coach P use that word, Ever. I did hear him, Coach Cross and others come down hard on those who did use it.

DeMontie Cross would LIGHT into anyone till next Tuesday, defense or offense, who said it at practice or games.
Wondering if the guys he got to stand with him in the locker room were told GP said something other than what was said, if anything was said.