• The KillerFrogs

NFL Combine Thread

SnoSki

Just glad that we are finally clear of Mayfield and Murray. Unbelievable fortune OU had to have those guys back to back. Yeah it’s OU and they recruit well but what BM and KM did surely far exceeded expectations.

I know they’ve got good talent waiting but hopefully it’s more along the lines of a good QB and not a transcendent player.

jake102

Just glad that we are finally clear of Mayfield and Murray. Unbelievable fortune OU had to have those guys back to back. Yeah it’s OU and they recruit well but what BM and KM did surely far exceeded expectations.

I know they’ve got good talent waiting but hopefully it’s more along the lines of a good QB and not a transcendent player.

They lose almost their entire NFL caliber OL also.

Purp

I think Lincoln had a lot to do with how successful OU has been with those QBs. I don't think either wins the Heisman in any other offense in the country. I could be proven wrong, but I didn't see either being that good in their previous stops. That tells me they were really coached up.

If Hurts comes in and OU takes a step back then I'll give more credit to the QBs. If Hurts comes in and lights up the country again after being relegated to game manager at Bama then it will clearly be the Lincoln Riley factor. And if that happens I think Lincoln will pretty much name his price and destination in the NFL.

Last edited:

Eight

Lol Collier two inches shorter than GoFrogs

Good numbers for Banogu assuming he kills it in the 40 and agility drills

where he measured at the senior bowl, but the numbers that pop out to me are 282 and the arm length.

if he can run a solid time he is going to make himself some money

Sand Frog

I think Lincoln had a lot to do with how successful OU has been with those QBs. I don't think either wins the Heisman in any other offense in the country. I could be proven wrong, but I didn't see either being that good in their previous stops. That tells me they were really coached up.

If Hurts comes in and OU takes a step back then I'll give more credit to the QBs. If hurts comes in a lights up the country again after being relegated to game manager at Bama then it will clearly be the Lincoln Riley factor. And if that happens I think Lincoln will pretty much name his price and destination in the NFL.

Riley has been a whole lot better than I gave him credit for when he got the job. Seeing how he was rumored for some NFL head coaching positions speaks volumes if it was only rumors.

Purp

Riley has been a whole lot better than I gave him credit for when he got the job. Seeing how he was rumored for some NFL head coaching positions speaks volumes if it was only rumors.
Yeah. The dude flat out runs a well oiled machine on offense. And if he can do it next year with a game manger (no matter how athletic) QB who only spent one spring in his program he'll make himself unlimited amounts of money for the rest of his life. The NFL will see 20 head coaches fired so teams could be free to pursue him.

Froggish

It will be interesting to see what happens when Riley doesn’t have exceptional talent at the QB position. I may be mistaken but Baker and Kyler are the only QBs he’s worked at OU...Much like GP and DEs he seems to figure out how to get the most out of the talent he has in the fold so is the chicken or the egg?...We’ll know real quick...That OU Offense will be replacing 7 starters

Purp

It will be interesting to see what happens when Riley doesn’t have exceptional talent at the QB position. I may be mistaken but Baker and Kyler are the only QBs he’s worked at OU...Much like GP and DEs he seems to figure out how to get the most out of the talent he has in the fold so is the chicken or the egg?...We’ll know real quick...That OU Offense will be replacing 7 starters
GP has made a career of shutting down the best offenses in the country. He may not totally shut them down every time, but they never get his goat every time. Until Lincoln showed up. Gary is like Kasparov (coincidentally named) and Lincoln is Deep Blue. GP seems to struggle with that OU offense every year where he holds every other offense below their season average. That's why I think so much credit needs to go to Lincoln.

Eight

riley once again has an experienced quarterback to work with in hurts.

jalen may not be perfect and no one might not be ready to put him on the same level as mayfield and murray, but he has started multiple games and performed well in a number of big game situations.

he is going to have offensive weapons in the receivers they return, 3 great receiver prospects who are enrolled and going through spring, a couple of above average backs, and return their tight end.

riley's strength to me so far has been putting his players in situations for success by attacking the mismatches in the opposing defenses. against patterson it simply wasn't throw the ball when tcu stacked the run, but isolating the tcu safeties in coverage.

the biggest question is the ou offensive line and they have flipped that over before. they return a very good center, recruited well, have a highly regarded juco tackle on campus going through spring, and might have the best o-line coach in the big 12.

beating them isn't impossible, but to think the machine stops rolling with the change of players i think is missing what they have done already with riley.

jake102

It takes doing what Bama and UT did. Control the clock on offense, no mistakes. Then on defense you try and make a few big plays, set them back and get them off schedule.

As much as Riley's offense has whipped Patterson's defense, Cumbie has been the only OC fooled by OU's awful defense.

tetonfrog

riley's strength to me so far has been putting his players in situations for success by attacking the mismatches in the opposing defenses. against patterson it simply wasn't throw the ball when tcu stacked the run, but isolating the tcu safeties in coverage.

the biggest question is the ou offensive line and they have flipped that over before. they return a very good center, recruited well, have a highly regarded juco tackle on campus going through spring, and might have the best o-line coach in the big 12.

beating them isn't impossible, but to think the machine stops rolling with the change of players i think is missing what they have done already with riley.

The obvious answer is that GP needs to recruit bigger, stronger and faster safeties to deal with this. What are the expectations of the new DBs?

TooColdU

riley once again has an experienced quarterback to work with in hurts.

jalen may not be perfect and no one might not be ready to put him on the same level as mayfield and murray, but he has started multiple games and performed well in a number of big game situations.

he is going to have offensive weapons in the receivers they return, 3 great receiver prospects who are enrolled and going through spring, a couple of above average backs, and return their tight end.

It takes doing what Bama and UT did. Control the clock on offense, no mistakes. Then on defense you try and make a few big plays, set them back and get them off schedule.

As much as Riley's offense has whipped Patterson's defense, Cumbie has been the only OC fooled by OU's awful defense.

I was thinking about how Riley's playing career basically ended at Tech and he immediately went into coaching under Leach. He was coaching in Lubbock from 2003 until was fired in 2009.

Cumbie, on the other hand, only coached under Leach in 2009 after trying to play in the NFL and other professional leagues.

Maybe this is a big reason why our version of the air raid hasn't been as successful as we thought it would be?

Eight

The obvious answer is that GP needs to recruit bigger, stronger and faster safeties to deal with this. What are the expectations of the new DBs?

on paper the frogs have recruited well at the position, some of the players have showna great deal of ability, but last year injuries decimated the position and a big key is who will be return back to form and who steps up.

Froggish

I was thinking about how Riley's playing career basically ended at Tech and he immediately went into coaching under Leach. He was coaching in Lubbock from 2003 until was fired in 2009.

Cumbie, on the other hand, only coached under Leach in 2009 after trying to play in the NFL and other professional leagues.

Maybe this is a big reason why our version of the air raid hasn't been as successful as we thought it would be?
Cumbie wasn’t even close to being ready to be a OC...People can spin it all they want to but he has been learning on the job for the last 2 years. With no offensive mentor at that....I like Cumbie and I think he’s creative but his lack of experience has made him nothing more then a collection of ideas..I truly hope that this is the year that the learning on the job translates to some success

Froggish

THere is a phrase I heard recently that I think is appropriate to how you beat high flying offenses like OU....”Embrace the discomfort” ...you have to be methodical and patient even when it feels uncomfortable as an offense..Winning is eating the clock up and playing the position battle. ISU has played that way very well..We finished on a 3 game winning streak because we embraced that discomfort