• The KillerFrogs

Newest polls Sun Oct 17

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Disagree. Not saying we wouldn’t be a stepping stone, but the caliber of coach we could attract now is much better than it was back then. Besides, there are probably only 10-15 jobs out there that aren’t considered stepping stones to some degree.

Money matters, and if we’re willing to pay 4M+ the list of quality candidates will be long.
Depends on the year and which jobs are available. Then you roll the dice. You may get a Luke Fickell or a Matt Wells. I know you eventually have to move on and hope we hit it big. Just wish people understood where things were before GP.

Wexahu

Depends on the year and which jobs are available. Then you roll the dice. You may get a Luke Fickell or a Matt Wells. I know you eventually have to move on and hope we hit it big. Just wish people understood where things were before GP.

I think most everyone does understand. No matter how you slice it, mediocre is mediocre. We have been a .500 team against FBS opponents for 5 years now. 5 years isn't a really small sample size, that's more than a trend. I realize we could head in a new direction and have everything blow up in our faces and be the new Kansas of the Big 12. Or we could head in a new direction, get some excitement pumped back into the program, and see where that takes us. Personally, I'm ready for that.

The biggest thing for me is the defense. It's broken. It appears that it's been figured out. And our coach doesn't show any willingness to do things any other way than what he's done all along. And if our defense isn't good, what are we paying GP $6M+ for?

helcap

I think most everyone does understand. No matter how you slice it, mediocre is mediocre. We have been a .500 team against FBS opponents for 5 years now. 5 years isn't a really small sample size, that's more than a trend. I realize we could head in a new direction and have everything blow up in our faces and be the new Kansas of the Big 12. Or we could head in a new direction, get some excitement pumped back into the program, and see where that takes us. Personally, I'm ready for that.

The biggest thing for me is the defense. It's broken. It appears that it's been figured out. And our coach doesn't show any willingness to do things any other way than what he's done all along. And if our defense isn't good, what are we paying GP $6M+ for?
Bigger problem is that our secondary hasn't figured out our Defense. Too frequent blown coverages

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I’m not saying GP hasn’t gotten stale and perhaps a change is needed. I guess more than anything I just don’t understand all the vitriol aimed at GP. People act as if the man is personally out to piss them off.

Maybe change is needed, but I would hope a little respect and less vitriol aimed at the man. You never know how long it might be till we find another.
Rolling the dice on a New Guy is scary. You don't know if it'll be a clown or a rock-ribbed fighter. "Past performance is not indicative of future earnings."

As to the personal nature of some anger, it is obvious to many what changes are needed. That GMFP refuses to make any of these changes, year after year, is like a slap in the face to some. It's easy to get angry about such trivialities. Like the venerable Rush Limbaugh intoned: "Being a sports fan is passion without consequence." We [ hundin] and moan, but nothing will change based on it. We're just pointing out the obvious. The reality, OTOH, is always more complex. Like the whole Schloss episode, there was a lot we didn't know, and, as it turned out, didn't want to know. In sum, though, I think it boils down to GMFP has his buddies on the payroll, and doesn't want to fire them. That sets up a Failure Without Consequence system. The result of that is program-wide rot, and a dilution of the standards we have long been used to. The usual end result is the whole staff being cleaned out after enough failure.

In a way, I kind of take that failure a little personally, as it is My School that is failing. I also have a great deal of regard for GMFP, and it hurts me to see him double and tripling down on things that aren't working. He has a stubborn streak a mile wide, and it is on full display. The damning issue is, the Defense he has his entire life wrapped around is nearly dead last in effectiveness. Past all the other issues, this is personal to him and him alone. Is it injures? Bad recruits? Failure of the players to grasp the system? Who knows. But it is on GMFP that this blame rests. Has the "game passed him by" like so many intone? No. Don't believe that for a second. But, what I do think is that he has allowed his judgement to become clouded about his players, his staff, and his path. His innate stubbornness keeps the blinders hard in place. We on the outside are watching a train wreck happening in slow motion, but those on the train see nothing out the windows to indicate immediate danger.

AroundWorldFrog

The pool of good coaches is waaaay bigger than in 1999. We should be able to hire a damn home run with $4-6M. Aranda is making $2.5M.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The pool of good coaches is waaaay bigger than in 1999. We should be able to hire a damn home run with $4-6M. Aranda is making $2.5M.

I’m guessing he is not retiring this year. He’s not getting fired this year. Every year is different. Depends on what is open and who’s available and what jobs you’re up against.

steelfrog

Tier 1
so you are saying the frogs have success with their two hires after gary?

do some here completely live in fear of change? it is going to happen but this isn't the same school and program when fran and gary came to ft worth. please don't repeat the wacker line because the facilities at tcu at the time of jim wacker were total [ #2020 ].

seriously the weight room was that free standing building by the track which doesn't come close to the facilities of today as well as the stadium, locker room etc......
Ya steel used to often work out at the Rickel instead of the Wacker-era weight facility.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Huh? If GP hadn’t succeeded at each stop of course he wouldn’t have stayed. He would have been just another asst that failed.

I’m not saying GP hasn’t gotten stale and perhaps a change is needed. I guess more than anything I just don’t understand all the vitriol aimed at GP. People act as if the man is personally out to piss them off.

This is just my opinion, but other than Notre Dame, USC or to a lesser extent Miami, no private schools are considered a big job. Do you believe we can attract big name coach away from a big program? My guess we roll the dice on some young guy that has succeeded outside of the P5 like Tech or maybe an asst from a bigger school that has never run a program like Tech or Baylor. Then we either go through the cycle of hire/fire or should they succeed lose them to a bigger job (Unless the stars align just right and we get another Meyer, Martin or the dreadEd GP). I guess the best parallel is K State. Snyder had a run of success, stalled out, hired/fired and now they be right back where they were. I obviously don’t know what the answer is.

I know that we have to eventually move on, but our DNA seems to show we’re have had 3 maybe 4 successful coaches with lots years of mediocrity. I’m never going to assert you don’t make changes and you always go in looking ahead for packed houses and lots of w’s with a new guy. But our history showed exactly for guys that had success, Schmidt (1929-1933, 2 SWC titles, left for tOSU), Dutch 1934-52 109-79-2 2 NCs), Abe (1953-66, 74-64-7), and the dreaded GP (2000-?, 181-77, 6 conf championships, 11-6 bowl record, and responsible to a great extent for all those shiny new facilities).

Maybe change is needed, but I would hope a little respect and less vitriol aimed at the man. You never know how long it might be till we find another.
This is the most well-reasoned post Steel has seen on this subject.

SuperTFrog

Baylor is on their third good head coach in a row.

If they can do it, so can we.
I bet Baylor ends up with 5 losses. I think we should let the season play out before we say that have a good coach. TTU had a GREAT coach when Kingsbury started 7-0 there and then lost his last 5 games that year and led them to mediocrity for the rest of his time there.

Fiscuits

And…likely the same thing would happen at TCU. Someone comes in, makes a name and is off to Big State school, just like it was before GP.
....like it is at every single college football program in the country not named Bama or Ohio State. It's a normal part of the business and not negative reflection on the school or the coach.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
....like it is at every single college football program in the country not named Bama or Ohio State. It's a normal part of the business and not negative reflection on the school or the coach.
That’s just not true at all. There are the hunters and there are prey. Penn State was not exactly killing it when they took Vandy’s coach. Name a situation where a Tulane or even a Northwestern convinced a coach to leave a big state head coach to leave. I’m not saying it never happened, but, I can’t think of one, of course and unless the guy was in trouble at Big State school and wasn’t confident about keeping his job.

Wexahu

That’s just not true at all. There are the hunters and there are prey. Penn State was not exactly killing it when they took Vandy’s coach. Name a situation where a Tulane or even a Northwestern convinced a coach to leave a big state head coach to leave. I’m not saying it never happened, but, I can’t think of one, of course and unless the guy was in trouble at Big State school and wasn’t confident about keeping his job.
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but I imagine both Pat Fitzgerald and David Shaw have had opportunities to move on to a big state school somewhere along the line.

TCU is very most likely going to be a stepping stone job for a hungry, super ambitious coach. That, unfortunately, is the reality. But I don't think it makes sense to not make a move based on that fact. As far as vitriol being thrown GP's way, I think all in all he's had it incredibly easy at TCU with regards to coaching in comfort, so to speak. He's paid $6M+, and he's paid that much to win and/or handle the heat when he doesn't. He doesn't handle heat very well so he better start winning. If he would be less stubborn, be more forthcoming about his program, snap less at his detractors, and generally not be an embarrassment in front of a microphone as often as he is, he would probably get less vitriol thrown his way. But at the end of the day, he needs to win.

Fiscuits

Who said a big name coach would leave to come here… it would be the other way around. TCU is not going to get a “big name coach” (Jimbo Fisher type) of coach. We’ll get what we got in Patterson - an up and comer.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but I imagine both Pat Fitzgerald and David Shaw have had opportunities to move on to a big state school somewhere along the line.

TCU is very most likely going to be a stepping stone job for a hungry, super ambitious coach. That, unfortunately, is the reality. But I don't think it makes sense to not make a move based on that fact. As far as vitriol being thrown GP's way, I think all in all he's had it incredibly easy at TCU with regards to coaching in comfort, so to speak. He's paid $6M+, and he's paid that much to win and/or handle the heat when he doesn't. He doesn't handle heat very well so he better start winning. If he would be less stubborn, be more forthcoming about his program, snap less at his detractors, and generally not be an embarrassment in front of a microphone as often as he is, he would probably get less vitriol thrown his way. But at the end of the day, he needs to win.
I guess you’d need to read the whole string. I merely said small private schools are the breeding ground or stepping stones for the big state programs. Bisquick said, except for OSU, Bama, every single school is exactly the same, a stepping stone and that is patently false. Big State U does not lose coaches of any value to small private programs. At least not that I can think of. Thus, not every program other than Bama or OSU is exactly the same.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Who said a big name coach would leave to come here… it would be the other way around. TCU is not going to get a “big name coach” (Jimbo Fisher type) of coach. We’ll get what we got in Patterson - an up and comer.

Perhaps wires got crossed. You said something about every school other than OSU and Alabama were stepping stones (at least that’s what I inferred since you didn’t cite what you were referring to). Not every school is a stepping stone. I don’t think I ever said anything about a big name coach. I just said anyone we get, if he is successful, is going to fodder for some bigger program to poach.

Fiscuits

Perhaps wires got crossed. You said something about every school other than OSU and Alabama were stepping stones (at least that’s what I inferred since you didn’t cite what you were referring to). Not every school is a stepping stone. I don’t think I ever said anything about a big name coach. I just said anyone we get, if he is successful, is going to fodder for some bigger program to poach.
All good, no worries. But I do believe that all but 10 programs are just steps to other jobs.it’s just a part of CFB. And I agree whoever we get that is successful will probably move on.