• The KillerFrogs

New spin on BCS tease

Ohiofrog

Seemingly out of the blue we are being teased with an autobid starting in 2012. Makes me think the majority of the BCS does not want Utah going to the PAC 10. Why would they move with a bid on the horizon. Could also be the BCS just trying to seem fair because they are considering the MWC and will slam us later. It sure seems like if our numbers stay equal we will get the 2012 2013 bids with re-eval for 2014.

froginaustin

QUOTE(Ohiofrog @ Apr 29 2010, 08:36 AM) [snapback]552316[/snapback]
Seemingly out of the blue we are being teased with an autobid starting in 2012. Makes me think the majority of the BCS does not want Utah going to the PAC 10. Why would they move with a bid on the horizon. Could also be the BCS just trying to seem fair because they are considering the MWC and will slam us later. It sure seems like if our numbers stay equal we will get the 2012 2013 bids with re-eval for 2014.

Utah would leave an autobid MWC for the PAC in a heartbeat, because the television money is so much better in the PAC, and will be no matter what the BCS status of our conference is. More t.v. sets; more t.v. viewers on the west coast than in the mountain states plus TCU's limited viewership it Texas.

sous vide

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 29 2010, 11:22 AM) [snapback]552333[/snapback]
so, it's a conspiracy either way?

With the BCS??? I should think so. Sometimes people really are out to get you. The BCS is a good example.

Gunner

TCU viewership in Texas has been fabulous. Just look at the recent number published from the Fiesta Bowl... men 18 to 45 numbers were out of site.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Gunner @ Apr 29 2010, 02:17 PM) [snapback]552668[/snapback]
TCU viewership in Texas has been fabulous. Just look at the recent number published from the Fiesta Bowl... men 18 to 45 numbers were out of site.

BCS ratings:
Championship Alabama-Texas 17.17
Rose Ohio State-Oregon 13.18
Sugar Cincinnati-Florida 8.50
Fiesta Boise State-TCU 8.23
Orange Iowa-Georgia 6.80

Dogfrog

If you want to go with conspiracies, assume that it helps the BCS image to publicly announce how MWC has access to BCS. It makes them appear more inclusive. All the time knowing that expansion is imminent, making possible inclusion of MWC a moot point.

FroggyHeaven

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 29 2010, 09:52 AM) [snapback]552333[/snapback]
so, it's a conspiracy either way?

It's not a conspiracy, but I think everyone is out to get us. This seems like De javu all over again.

LVfrog

QUOTE(Jefffrog1993 @ Apr 29 2010, 03:26 PM) [snapback]552750[/snapback]
Do you know how to tell when anyone in the BCS is lying?
Easy when there lips are moving. Enough Said.

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

PurplePutt

QUOTE(froginaustin @ Apr 29 2010, 09:42 AM) [snapback]552321[/snapback]
Utah would leave an autobid MWC for the PAC in a heartbeat, because the television money is so much better in the PAC, and will be no matter what the BCS status of our conference is. More t.v. sets; more t.v. viewers on the west coast than in the mountain states plus TCU's limited viewership it Texas.

I watch a lot of college football--just about as much as possible (just ask my wife).. I have DTV with as many sports channels as possible. The PAC 10 does not get that many games on TV unless their coverage is somewhere I don't know about. I don't know how much revenue they share but not impressed with their coverage.

Gunner

QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 29 2010, 07:19 PM) [snapback]552670[/snapback]
BCS ratings:
Orange Iowa-Georgia 6.80

My numbers were for men 18 and up. I don't know what you have there.

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Apr 29 2010, 07:29 PM) [snapback]552863[/snapback]
I watch a lot of college football--just about as much as possible (just ask my wife).. I have DTV with as many sports channels as possible. The PAC 10 does not get that many games on TV unless their coverage is somewhere I don't know about. I don't know how much revenue they share but not impressed with their coverage.

It's been awhile since I checked, but I believe their revenue is on par with (but maybe slightly below) the Big 12, and they also practice unequal revenue distribution. Everybody in the conference is pulling in at least $5-6 million year from TV, with USC probably getting around $10 million, due to being on TV the most. In the MWC, it's a little over $1 million per school per year. I know the Pac-10 gets football games on the regional Fox Sports Nets, plus one regionally broadcast on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 every week. I believe they have an occasional game on Versus as well. Of course, if they launch their own network, that could all change.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Gunner @ Apr 29 2010, 09:30 PM) [snapback]552910[/snapback]

Jail Bait?

Virginia Frog

QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 29 2010, 02:19 PM) [snapback]552670[/snapback]
BCS ratings:
Orange Iowa-Georgia 6.80

This needs to be put in context. The Fiesta was on a "school night."

Both the Rose & Sugar (8.5, is barely better that 8.23, for TCU's bowl) were held on a holiday, New Years Day. The vast majority of TV viewers didn't work that day (slept late in most cases, I bet) and they did NOT have to go to work the following day - so ones discretionary time that day was at it's max for 90%+ of the population.

Considering THAT fact...TCU vs. Bosie St was a BIG winner for TV and the BCS.

(True, the POOR results for the Orange is a reflection of two sub par participants...more that that it was a work/school night for the public.)

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being

The actual ratings. And I noticed you never actually gave us any numbers.

The Rose ALWAYS is the big dog in the ratings. And the Fiesta ratings were not overly good or bad. The Boise-OU game had roughly the same ratings, UT-OSU and OSU-ND was much better, WVU-OU slightly worse. And while sports radio may care about the men 18-45 demo, prime time TV cares less.

And I'm not buying the 'school night' thing. Think the ratings are affected significantly when the game is at 7pm and 10 year old Bobby has to go to bed at 9? Would that mean a thing to anybody over 18? Has MNF been afftected by that for 40+ years?

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
QUOTE(Jefffrog1993 @ Apr 29 2010, 02:26 [size=)
PM' post='552750']
Do you know how t[/size]o tell when anyone in the BCS is lying?
Easy when there lips are moving. Enough Said.

"Truthful", adj Dumb and illiterate.

joejordan

QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 29 2010, 03:19 PM) [snapback]552670[/snapback]
BCS ratings:
Orange Iowa-Georgia 6.80

Slice it and dice it and make it outtasight!!