• The KillerFrogs

Need help w/ American Airlines

Long Time Lurker

I flew from OKC to Austin and when we got to Austin the Captain doomed us by commenting about how new the plane was. An oil light came on for one the generators and they were supposed to defer it till Phoenix. We pulled back to the gate and maintenance decided they wanted to spend the next 3 hours trouble shooting the oil light and not let us defer to Phoenix. We got off the plane and they got us new plane that left at 3pm. We got royally screwed. Watched the game at the Airport in Austin and fly back to OKC right after.

So I paid 950$ for tickets, 200$ for the Hotel, and 1200$ in Airfare to fly from OKC to Austin and watch the game on a TV at the Salt Lick Bar B Que bar.

Where do I start to seek compensation for them not getting us to Phoenix?

I lost money on tickets and never go to the game because their plane broke down.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

FloridaFrog76129

You are not entitled to compensation because there was a delay. You can get some compensation for cancelled flights or delays over 12 hours from credit card benefits - chase reserve or in general travel insurance but I don’t know the terms there

mstrB

I wouldn't get your hopes up on what you are going to recoup. It sucks but this is why it's very dangerous to fly the day of events and even crazier to do it with a connecting flight. I know it's too late, but one to always consider is paying to put flights on extended hold before you know if you want the flight, or buy on points so you can cancel for free. Waiting and buying these direct flights for bowls from the same city as your university is so insanely expensive it's ridiculous.

LisaLT

I flew from OKC to Austin and when we got to Austin the Captain doomed us by commenting about how new the plane was. An oil light came on for one the generators and they were supposed to defer it till Phoenix. We pulled back to the gate and maintenance decided they wanted to spend the next 3 hours trouble shooting the oil light and not let us defer to Phoenix. We got off the plane and they got us new plane that left at 3pm. We got royally screwed. Watched the game at the Airport in Austin and fly back to OKC right after.

So I paid 950$ for tickets, 200$ for the Hotel, and 1200$ in Airfare to fly from OKC to Austin and watch the game on a TV at the Salt Lick Bar B Que bar.

Where do I start to seek compensation for them not getting us to Phoenix?

I lost money on tickets and never go to the game because their plane broke down.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I’m so sorry! I feel your pain. I had to cancel my trip last minute because of the flu and I was out the first night at the hotel. I did get credit for airline ticket to be used in the future and gave away my tickets to the game to my brother vs selling them.

I would at least write to the airline and explain your situation and the purpose of your trip and how much money your out. At the very least maybe they’ll take heart and give you free airline vouchers for this major inconvenience. That really sucks.

Cougar/Frog

Sue American.

I know of a case where American canceled a flight to Hong Kong, and the couple had to book with another airline to get to their cruise ship on time.

The couple sued in small claims and won. American didn't even send an attorney. They thought about appealing and decided not to do so because it would have cost as much to do so as pay out.

Pharm Frog

I have status on AA and I’m not hopeful that you’ll recoup but you definitely won’t unless you ask. My experience has been that it usually depends on how accommodating the CS rep is so if the first option doesn’t work…try again.

That said…I thought you lived in Belton. Also sorry you had to eat Salt Lick BBQ that close to some truly outstanding BBQ. SL ain’t bad but it ain’t what you were within 30m of.

tcudoc

I have status on AA and I’m not hopeful that you’ll recoup but you definitely won’t unless you ask. My experience has been that it usually depends on how accommodating the CS rep is so if the first option doesn’t work…try again.

That said…I thought you lived in Belton. Also sorry you had to eat Salt Lick BBQ that close to some truly outstanding BBQ. SL ain’t bad but it ain’t what you were within 30m of.
But Salt Lick is at the Austin airport terminal, so, compared to other food options there, he made a good choice, although, I know from experience, they are way over priced at the airport location.

Brog

Sue American.

I know of a case where American canceled a flight to Hong Kong, and the couple had to book with another airline to get to their cruise ship on time.

The couple sued in small claims and won. American didn't even send an attorney. They thought about appealing and decided not to do so because it would have cost as much to do so as pay out.
AA told me on one such occasion that there's a difference between cancelling a fight and delaying a flight. So I lost.

hometown frog

If you’ve got an AAdvantage miles account, your best bet might be to plead your case and hope they give you some pity miles or upgrade vouchers. Certainly might not feel like an equitable compensation for you based upon the bowl game, but that value is only in your view and not theirs. Otherwise they will prob just tell you sorry ‘bout that and move on.

frogetaboutit

Sat next to a gentleman at game who had two seats but one was empty. Said his son’s flight from Austin had been cancelled. Must’ve been same flight. He was devastated. We felt horrible for him.

Diehard

Pharm is right. You need to reach out to customer service. Don't expect a quick call back as they may as many 30,000 is the que at any one time. Usually, if you are polite and calm you will get some help.

r7commish

Our Southwest flight leaving PHX yesterday morning was delayed 3 hours. Right after we finished boarding we they found a leaky engine. 3 hours later of sitting at the gate on the plane we got to leave. Thankfully it wasn’t on the way there as I flew out day-of day off like you were supposed to do.

Anyways, I sent a DM via Twitter while sitting on the plane and thanked SW for keeping us up to date on the issue and asked if a LUV voucher would be issued. I got a $150 voucher. Then the gate agent supervisor came on the plane and said he would issue everyone on the plane $100 so I might be getting $250 total. Now I’m AList preferred so I’ve seen that SW wants to keep me happy.

At a minimum I would hope AA would give you travel credit for the cost of the flight. That doesn’t really cost them anything and a delay of 3 hours is substantial. You banked on them keeping to their schedule and they failed you miserably and that’s totally on them.