• The KillerFrogs

Nebraska and Iowa

Zubaz

Isn't Nebraska's Big 10 membership uber-important to the university higher ups in terms of academics? I can't imagine the University would even consider throwing that away because of their football program.

Even from an athletics, they'd look at throwing away the stability of Big 10 TV money (not this year, obviously, but in the future) for maybe getting 10 games in at best? Doesn't seem likely.

Wexahu

Isn't Nebraska's Big 10 membership uber-important to the university higher ups in terms of academics? I can't imagine the University would even consider throwing that away because of their football program.

Even from an athletics, they'd look at throwing away the stability of Big 10 TV money (not this year, obviously, but in the future) for maybe getting 10 games in at best? Doesn't seem likely.

I don't think the average Nebraska fan could give a crap about TV money. Whether it's $35M or $50M, what difference does it really make? They are MUCH better off being relevant in football again than making an extra $10-15M in TV money. One big-time donator can make up the difference in 5-10 years of TV money by stroking one check. Their fans want them to play football and be good again. Maybe the latter is a pipe dream but it's even more of a pipe dream if they are in the Big 10. The University higher-ups may love the academic prestige but their boosters and alumni care more about the football program.

Bob Sugar

Which I have always found bizarre. Why would school professors, most of whom don't watch sports, care about the academic ranking of the teams their university plays?

Bob Sugar

Nebraska's football team flying over the rest of the big 10 on the way to the games this fall.

tenor.gif

Zubaz

I don't think the average Nebraska fan could give a crap about TV money. Whether it's $35M or $50M, what difference does it really make? They are MUCH better off being relevant in football again than making an extra $10-15M in TV money. One big-time donator can make up the difference in 5-10 years of TV money by stroking one check. Their fans want them to play football and be good again. Maybe the latter is a pipe dream but it's even more of a pipe dream if they are in the Big 10. The University higher-ups may love the academic prestige but their boosters and alumni care more about the football program.
The average fan may not care, but the University certainly cares about a $15 million difference every single year. To pretend otherwise would be ludicrous.

Which I have always found bizarre. Why would school professors, most of whom don't watch sports, care about the academic ranking of the teams their university plays?
I could be wrong, but don't those affiliations extend beyond merely athletics? In public perception at least, if not official academic affiliations. I mean it's not like the Ivy League is just a sports conference right?

Hemingway

If you are looking for Bowelsby to take some aggressive stance on anything...you have another think coming.
If you are looking for Bowelsby to take some aggressive stance on anything...you have another think coming.
he’s an empty 2 button suit.

we need to break Chuck Neinas out of the Del Webb if we are going to pull off anything that ballsy.

Bob Sugar

I could be wrong, but don't those affiliations extend beyond merely athletics? In public perception at least, if not official academic affiliations. I mean it's not like the Ivy League is just a sports conference right?

I would disagree. To the average person, hearing someone graduated from an Ivy League school is impressive. But my wife, for example, would not be impressed if I told her a colleague went to a Big 10 school.

Jackson

Nebraska lost its AAU status quite a while ago—in 2011. They are the only member of the B1G to not be one of the 63 members of AAU and are one of only four institutions to ever get the boot.
I’d guarantee 95% of college grads couldn’t define what the AAU designation stands for. It is a worthless designation unless your a tweed jacket wearing, pipe smoking Ivy League School English Professor.

Eight

I’d guarantee 95% of college grads couldn’t define what the AAU designation stands for. It is a worthless designation unless your a tweed jacket wearing, pipe smoking Ivy League School English Professor.

interesting question for those on this site who are in position to hire people

does it matter to you that your candidates are from a school with an aau designation?

know where sweat equity stands on this and curious if this is something that truly matters once you leave college or it matters in your screening process