• The KillerFrogs

NCAA's Mark Emmert says fall sports likely a no-go if campuses aren't open

TCUdirtbag

If they up and eliminated the entirety of the "Humanities" at most Universities, no one would notice a thing.

I think the world would notice if we stopped teaching critical reading, writing, and research skills. But definitely agree with the general sentiment as it relates to some of the humanities disciplines. I think there’s a reason those programs have been gutted over the past 20 years.

If you really want to trim University expenses, cut the Administration. The bloat there over the last 10 years is appalling.

Genuinely curious - where specifically would you cut within administration? This is a common claim and I’m just not sure I know that the problem is all that sizable.

I’m not sure where to go beyond shrinking the fundraising, athletics, alumni, and events administration segments. I think research administration has gotten very bloated as universities over extend into these trendy research park ventures and the like, too. Last thing I’d add would be streamlining the dozen student affairs departments and advocacy groups—there has to be a more efficient way to organize that.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I think the world would notice if we stopped teaching critical reading, writing, and research skills. But definitely agree with the general sentiment as it relates to some of the humanities disciplines. I think there’s a reason those programs have been gutted over the past 20 years.

Genuinely curious - where specifically would you cut within administration? This is a common claim and I’m just not sure I know that the problem is all that sizable.

I’m not sure where to go beyond shrinking the fundraising, athletics, alumni, and events administration segments. I think research administration has gotten very bloated as universities over extend into these trendy research park ventures and the like, too. Last thing I’d add would be streamlining the dozen student affairs departments and advocacy groups—there has to be a more efficient way to organize that.
The University of Michigan has like 100 people working in the Diversity and Inclusion Office. I bet this initiative could be handled more efficiently. As an example.

TCUdirtbag

The University of Michigan has like 100 people working in the Diversity and Inclusion Office. I bet this initiative could be handled more efficiently. As an example.

Totally agree. That falls within my student affairs streamlining. A lot of those are low salary jobs but there’s still room to cut. And at some schools there are some interesting things assigned to those divisions that actually generate revenue—a lot of non-sports, summer camps run through those offices.

Wog68

I majored in history as I worked for my Army commission. I actually taught Military History at Seattle U to the general student body as an Assistant Professor of Military Science. So glad my 4 years at TCU only cost me around 10K.

I majored in history as I worked for my Army commission. I actually taught Military History at Seattle U to the general student body as an Assistant Professor of Military Science. So glad my 4 years at TCU only cost me around 10K.
And I'm guessing four (or more) years of service to your country including a blank check written to Uncle Sam -- so not " only $10K" is my point. Thanks for serving unless I'm way off base here