• The KillerFrogs

NCAA's Mark Emmert says fall sports likely a no-go if campuses aren't open

HFrog1999

tenor.gif

Pharm Frog

There's apparently a huge push from some college professors to not return to open campuses this fall. I personally heard a prof last week encouraging students to protest any attempt to re-open in the fall. And, two more of my employees said their college kids had heard the same from their professors. I wonder why this would be?

Paul in uhh

There's apparently a huge push from some college professors to not return to open campuses this fall. I personally heard a prof last week encouraging students to protest any attempt to re-open in the fall. And, two more of my employees said their college kids had heard the same from their professors. I wonder why this would be?
Because (as a whole, there are exceptions) tenured professors are among the laziest group of employees In the whole nation. It’s next to impossible to fire someone who has tenure so of course they’re going to push to have as little in-person work as possible.

HFrog1999

No matter if it’s college, high school, sports or a business, the longer they stay closed, the harder it will be to get people back.

Students aren’t going to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to traditional colleges without the campus experience.

If colleges don’t return this fall, they risk bursting their ridiculously over priced bubble.

Portland Frog

What happens if the landscape is inconsistent? Some conferences have all universities return, others do not. Some universities within the same conference do not return, but other do return, etc.

TCUdirtbag

Emphasis on “some.” With a few exceptions (primarily in the tenured non-administrative faculty), most everyone in higher ed understands the dire consequences of not being open in the fall. If enrollments and state funding plummet at the same time, the financial exigency policies will supersede many universities’ standard OPs and allow for RIFs and salary cuts almost everywhere. The ‘rona hit before faculty appointment letters were worked up for next year—don’t think they didn’t send the lawyers the language for review.

I know bashing higher ed is a thing you just like to do. And in places it’s warranted. But the financial outlook for the fall is grim if students don’t go back to campus. Even the most insulated and disconnected silos are getting that.

Pharm Frog

Emphasis on “some.” With a few exceptions (primarily in the tenured non-administrative faculty), most everyone in higher ed understands the dire consequences of not being open in the fall. If enrollments and state funding plummet at the same time, the financial exigency policies will supersede many universities’ standard OPs and allow for RIFs and salary cuts almost everywhere. The ‘rona hit before faculty appointment letters were worked up for next year—don’t think they didn’t send the lawyers the language for review.

I know bashing higher ed is a thing you just like to do. And in places it’s warranted. But the financial outlook for the fall is grim if students don’t go back to campus. Even the most insulated and disconnected silos are getting that.

I don’t enjoy bashing higher education one bit. It was my career at one point and I’ve always felt like it would be to sunset my professional career. And I guess I should have praised that Sociology prof for even showing up to the Zoom class where she was lobbying students because online walks were happening more often than actual class.

But I think you’d agree that there’s less than 20% of the modern professoriate that even has a clue about the financial vulnerability of the institutions. They don’t know and for the most part they don’t care because they’ve been immune for so long to exterior economic forces. The % may be higher to much higher among profs in the COB.

TCUdirtbag

I don’t enjoy bashing higher education one bit. It was my career at one point and I’ve always felt like it would be to sunset my professional career. And I guess I should have praised that Sociology prof for even showing up to the Zoom class where she was lobbying students because online walks were happening more often than actual class.

But I think you’d agree that there’s less than 20% of the modern professoriate that even has a clue about the financial vulnerability of the institutions. They don’t know and for the most part they don’t care because they’ve been immune for so long to exterior economic forces. The % may be higher to much higher among profs in the COB.

I wouldn’t agree with your 20% figure as a blanket rule—but I don’t think you meant it to be. It’s going to vary wildly from institution to institution. And within an institution, still vary from college to college. Tenured law and business and engineering and science professors are incredibly disconnected from reality. But once you get into the liberal arts, comms, education, etc., that got hammered with huge program cuts etc. during the last recession, I’ve seen a lot more awareness of the intensity and threat of the current situation.

With all that said, I think this conversation about faculty fools is almost entirely about tenured faculty. And I suspect most outside higher ed don’t realize what an increasingly shrinking percentage of instruction—especially at the undergrad level—is delivered by tenured faculty vs. tenure track but not tenured and contingent faculty. I’d guess 90% of that group of non-tenured profs absolutely understand what’s going on and are quite concerned. Of course that’s because they know they’re least insulated.

I won’t dare a guess about percentage because it’s going to be a different situation at a Harvard than at a TCU than at OU than at a regional university like a Tarleton. There’s definitely some ivory tower fools out there—no doubt. But IMO there are fewer and fewer.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Death?

Big Frog II

Boy howdy, there sure are a lot of high falutin words being thrown out in this thread. Bottom line is the schools are going to open this fall in some fashion. How enrollment is going to be affected by students staying close to home is another matter. Freshmen will probably be affected more than the others. The sophomores, juniors, and seniors will do anything to get back to school after being stuck at home this long.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I wouldn’t agree with your 20% figure as a blanket rule—but I don’t think you meant it to be. It’s going to vary wildly from institution to institution. And within an institution, still vary from college to college. Tenured law and business and engineering and science professors are incredibly disconnected from reality. But once you get into the liberal arts, comms, education, etc., that got hammered with huge program cuts etc. during the last recession, I’ve seen a lot more awareness of the intensity and threat of the current situation.

With all that said, I think this conversation about faculty fools is almost entirely about tenured faculty. And I suspect most outside higher ed don’t realize what an increasingly shrinking percentage of instruction—especially at the undergrad level—is delivered by tenured faculty vs. tenure track but not tenured and contingent faculty. I’d guess 90% of that group of non-tenured profs absolutely understand what’s going on and are quite concerned. Of course that’s because they know they’re least insulated.

I won’t dare a guess about percentage because it’s going to be a different situation at a Harvard than at a TCU than at OU than at a regional university like a Tarleton. There’s definitely some ivory tower fools out there—no doubt. But IMO there are fewer and fewer.
If they up and eliminated the entirety of the "Humanities" at most Universities, no one would notice a thing.

If you really want to trim University expenses, cut the Administration. The bloat there over the last 10 years is appalling.