• The KillerFrogs

NCAA Tournament coming to Ft Worth

stbrab

Based on the Arena's website the concert seating capacity is 14,000 and basketball 13,300. Interesting that the NCAA will award an opening round...they usually like larger facilities. Great news for Ft Worth though!

Wexahu

Based on the Arena's website the concert seating capacity is 14,000 and basketball 13,300. Interesting that the NCAA will award an opening round...they usually like larger facilities. Great news for Ft Worth though!

I hope TCU doesn't have the urge to move any games there in the future.

MAcFroggy

Seems like a lot of money to spend on an arena that will not have an anchor tenant like an NHL or NBA team. I understand the Stock Show & Rodeo brings a lot of people to Fort Worth, but seems like the arena will be somewhat empty for the other 11 months of the year. I guess the city is only paying half the cost, but that still seems like a lot of money on an arena of this type. Looks like the arena is going to be called Dickies Arena

Portland Frog

I wonder what will happen with the old arena downtown at TCCC with this development. (Yes, this post has the potential to derail, but I didn't want to start a new thread to ask the question).

stbrab

Seems like a lot of money to spend on an arena that will not have an anchor tenant like an NHL or NBA team. I understand the Stock Show & Rodeo brings a lot of people to Fort Worth, but seems like the arena will be somewhat empty for the other 11 months of the year. I guess the city is only paying half the cost, but that still seems like a lot of money on an arena of this type. Looks like the arena is going to be called Dickies Arena
Based on the Arena's website, it will also host multiple years of the NCAA Women's Gymnastics Championships, and will be the new home to the Ft Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. Let's hope Ft Worth will be able to attract the multi-purpose events it's designed for.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I wonder what will happen with the old arena downtown at TCCC with this development. (Yes, this post has the potential to derail, but I didn't want to start a new thread to ask the question).
I think it is due to be taken down and more convention center exhibit space built in its place

TCUdirtbag

Dickies Arena. What a name.

Once Dickies Arena opens (2020 or 2021 FWSSR), the FWCC Arena will be coming down. New convention space to match what is across from the Omni will replace it. And hopefully they'll straighten Commerce St back out in the process - that is at least being considered.

TCU will not be moving any MBB games from Schollmaier. Anyone who has listened to CDC speak for years about how he'd never move FB to AT&T knows that he wouldn't move MBB.

The $450 M price tag is insane, but Arlington is spending over $1 B on a baseball stadium. The Arena will be used more than you think with FWCC Arena closing. And I'd expect we see a minor league hockey team move over. Maybe the WNBA from Arlington team, too. There will be more than enough events to justify the space. Hopefully it puts FW on the concert map, too. The Arena should see the redevelopment of the 7th street corridor expand even more to Mongomery, too. I'd expect more new restaurants and shops to replace some of the things on that street to compliment Taco Heads and the few things hay have been popping up.

As to capacity for the tournament, I disagree that the capacity is much lower than other venues hosting the first two rounds. At 14k, Dickies will be 3/4 the size of AAC in Dallas. And that capacity number may be higher for basketball if the 14k capacity number is the rodeo configuration. It won't host a Final Four, but it fits right in with the first/second round locations. 2017 first and second round locations were: Amway Center Orlando (20k), Harris Bradley Center Milwaukee (19k), KeyBank Center Buffalo (19k), Vivint Arena Salt Lake (20k), Bankers Life Fieldhouse Indianapolis (18k), BOK Center Tulsa (18k), Bon Secours Arena Greenville (16k), and Golden 1 Center Sacramento (17k). Im assuming Dickies will have a basketball capacity if at least 15k. So it's on the low end but reasonably in range if it's a high-quality venue.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

Well, looks like the basketball number is 13k. So yeah it's a bit small relative to other venues. Ignore some of my comments above.