• The KillerFrogs

NCAA denies legitimate transfer waiver

Casey T

Brock Hoffman transferred from Coastal Carolina to Virginia Tech and applied for a waiver to play immediately. His mother had a brain tumor removed and VT is half the distance from home that Coastal Carolina was.

NCAA denies the waiver because he is 105 miles away from home which is not within the '100-mile radius' whatever that is, and they think "his mother's condition has improved."

Meanwhile, Justin Fields transfers for being called a bad name and Tate Martell transfers for losing his starting spot and both are granted their waiver. Along with 80%+ of everyone else who recently applied.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...l-for-immediate-eligibility-at-virginia-tech/

Wexahu

Brock Hoffman transferred from Coastal Carolina to Virginia Tech and applied for a waiver to play immediately. His mother had a brain tumor removed and VT is half the distance from home that Coastal Carolina was.

NCAA denies the waiver because he is 105 miles away from home which is not within the '100-mile radius' whatever that is, and they think "his mother's condition has improved."

Meanwhile, Justin Fields transfers for being called a bad name and Tate Martell transfers for losing his starting spot and both are granted their waiver. Along with 80%+ of everyone else who recently applied.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...l-for-immediate-eligibility-at-virginia-tech/

It's BS. Not that this kid was denied, but that the others weren't.

There needs to be a strict rule and a line drawn in the sand, but that doesn't fit the "poor college athlete" narrative that has become so popular. Truthfully, if his mother is in such bad shape that he felt he needed to be closer to home (although still 105 miles away), he probably should focus on taking care of her and not playing football. But I'd bet almost anything him wanting to transfer was as much about football as anything else.

Wexahu

One other thing, his mother's tumor was removed in June 2017 and this kid was a 2017 recruit of Coastal Carolina. If it was so important for him to be close to his mother he wouldn't never gone to CC in the first place. Sorry, this one kind of smells a little bit to me. Good for the NCAA in denying the request, I just wish they'd do it way more often. The Justin Fields and Miami QB situations are a total joke.

Eight

i did a google search and found that the distance from statesville to blacksburg is roughly the same distatnce as statesville to the research triangle area.

won't claim to have done a deep, deep dive on this matter, but it does like like there isn't a d-1 program within that 100 mile halo designated by the ncaa. could be wrong, but if i was going to appeal their decision i would try that route.

i also found out that according to roadsnacks.com that statesville, nc is the second most ghetto town in nc.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are-the-10-most-ghetto-cities-in-north-carolina/

not sure how dependable roadsnacks is a s they say west u in houston is the best place to live in texas

https://www.homesnacks.net/best-places-to-live-in-texas-122037/

Eight

i did see where davidson is 26 miles away from home and i believe they play at the same level of competition as coastal carolina.

Just one of many reasons I didn't renew my season tickets. I've just becomed disillusioned with the entire system. I simply do not care at this point. My give a damn is broken. I hope my attitude changes by September but it comes down to the fact that I have so much joy in my personal and professional life that I don't see any reason to involve myself with a rigged system.

Punter1

Just one of many reasons I didn't renew my season tickets. I've just becomed disillusioned with the entire system. I simply do not care at this point. My give a damn is broken. I hope my attitude changes by September but it comes down to the fact that I have so much joy in my personal and professional life that I don't see any reason to involve myself with a rigged system.

You like your wife and job more than football????

Wexahu

i did see where davidson is 26 miles away from home and i believe they play at the same level of competition as coastal carolina.

Besides, what’s so terrible about sitting out a year? Wouldn’t the adjustment to a new school be a lot easier without the stress of getting ready to play football games? Oh, I forgot, these transfers are 100% about football and 0% about the stuff these kids claim it’s about.

If your mom has a brain tumor that was removed in June 2017 and she needs you to be close to home, don’t enroll at Coastal Carolina in August of 2017. Ask for your release before you even leave for CC. Sorry, not buying this kids case.

Eight

Besides, what’s so terrible about sitting out a year? Wouldn’t the adjustment to a new school be a lot easier without the stress of getting ready to play football games? Oh, I forgot, these transfers are 100% about football and 0% about the stuff these kids claim it’s about.

If your mom has a brain tumor that was removed in June 2017 and she needs you to be close to home, don’t enroll at Coastal Carolina in August of 2017. Ask for your release before you even leave for CC. Sorry, not buying this kids case.

i can understand the circumstance of mom has the surgery and she tells her son to go ahead and go to school. he does and over time it becomes apparent he needs to be closer.

what becomes more complicated is why vtech or davidson? if the primary issue is to be closer to home and he still wants to play ball there seems to be other options.

one thing i did read in the article about the ten cities in nc that are the most ghetto is that statesville has a very high unemployment rate. so maybe mom needs more help, family needs money, kid has started two years at coastal and the hope is go to a big school, play right away and then declare.

the problem with rules is that you are asked to make exceptions and with some of the exceptions the ncaa has made on this rule (i.e. fields and martel) they look really bad over a situation like this and it will be interesting in lawyers get involved in this matter.

Wexahu

So I guess every kid who has a parent with cancer or any other disease is a free agent eligible to play immediately anywhere he wants as long as its a little closer to home. I'm sure the fact that this kid is a good player and Va Tech has a need on their O-line is just a coincidence.

A couple more ridiculous off-seasons like this one and I'll spare everyone here and move on to something else to do besides caring much about college football.

Wexahu

i can understand the circumstance of mom has the surgery and she tells her son to go ahead and go to school. he does and over time it becomes apparent he needs to be closer.

what becomes more complicated is why vtech or davidson? if the primary issue is to be closer to home and he still wants to play ball there seems to be other options.

one thing i did read in the article about the ten cities in nc that are the most ghetto is that statesville has a very high unemployment rate. so maybe mom needs more help, family needs money, kid has started two years at coastal and the hope is go to a big school, play right away and then declare.

the problem with rules is that you are asked to make exceptions and with some of the exceptions the ncaa has made on this rule (i.e. fields and martel) they look really bad over a situation like this and it will be interesting in lawyers get involved in this matter.

He can stay at Coastal Carolina and declare after this year, he doesn't need to go to Va Tech. The #1 pick in the draft a few years back was an O-lineman from a directional Michigan school, it's not like you need to play at a P5 school to get noticed by the NFL.

Eight

So I guess every kid who has a parent with cancer or any other disease is a free agent eligible to play immediately anywhere he wants as long as its a little closer to home. I'm sure the fact that this kid is a good player and Va Tech has a need on their O-line is just a coincidence.

A couple more ridiculous off-seasons like this one and I'll spare everyone here and move on to something else to do besides caring much about college football.

as i said, the ncaa destroyed their own case in regards to enforcing the rules when they allowed the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] exemptions for fields and martel

additionally, i agree that his "having" to go to va tech doesn't hold water in regards to moving closer to home when davidson is even closer and they are the same level of comp at coastal.

problem is the ncaa scheissed themselves by allowing the two quarterbacks to be immediately eligible.

Eight

He can stay at Coastal Carolina and declare after this year, he doesn't need to go to Va Tech. The #1 pick in the draft a few years back was an O-lineman from a directional Michigan school, it's not like you need to play at a P5 school to get noticed by the NFL.

i don't disagree and believe that if you could somehow see all the strings being pulled behind the scenes there are a number of things being leveraged.

unfortunately for the ncaa they themselves made this an issue when they wrote a specific rule and then basically [ Finebaum ] on it themselves.

reminds me of a client i once had who spent money for a written sexual harassment policy and then ended up in receivership when they got taken to court for doing nothing about the behavior of their employees and basically gave the plaintiff's attorney the bat to beat them with in the form of the written policy management chose to ignore.

Wexahu

as i said, the ncaa destroyed their own case in regards to enforcing the rules when they allowed the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] exemptions for fields and martel

additionally, i agree that his "having" to go to va tech doesn't hold water in regards to moving closer to home when davidson is even closer and they are the same level of comp at coastal.

problem is the ncaa scheissed themselves by allowing the two quarterbacks to be immediately eligible.

Yep, as soon as you allow judgement calls on a case by case basis to be made in something like this, chaos is soon to follow. Just wait until they start reviewing judgement calls like PI with instant replay like so many are clamoring for. That’s gonna be a joke too.

Paint It Purple

One other thing, his mother's tumor was removed in June 2017 and this kid was a 2017 recruit of Coastal Carolina. If it was so important for him to be close to his mother he wouldn't never gone to CC in the first place. Sorry, this one kind of smells a little bit to me. Good for the NCAA in denying the request, I just wish they'd do it way more often. The Justin Fields and Miami QB situations are a total joke.
So you’re one of those people who like to gather facts before making judgements and weighing. Shame!