• The KillerFrogs

NAME OTIS ANDERSON RING A BELL?

Rabidfrog

Player for CFU is Otis Anderson. Wonder if he is any kin to the Otis Anderson, a NFL great and All American for Miami, who in '77 the Frogs defeated in one of our most improbable victories. Granted, Miami's record that year was the same as ours, 2-9, but Anderson played that day. The only weapon we had was Mile Renfro. It was kinda cold and rainy that day, an early fall, and I was waving a blanket up in the stands. We had to kickoff to them in the last minute. The field was wet, and most Frog defenders slid by Anderson as he returned the kickoff. I thought he was going to score, but a Frog tripped him up finally, and we won the game. Unforgettable.

HToady

Not only that, the head Miami coach's name was Lou Saban?

Miami went 3 - 8 that year. I remember that, at the end of the season, FA Dry said in Frog Club, that they noticed that Anderson was doing something in his stance, that was giving away, which hole he was going to run through, possibly a hand on his knee or a slight lean or something? Anyway the coaches picked up on it.

Dry said he was going to tell Saban about it, but he acted like such an ass after the game, that he didn't. I guess all but 3 other teams picked up on it as well....

PurplFrawg

Administrator
The UCF Anderson's dad served in the military and his name is Otis.

hqdefault.jpg

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
To say it was kind of raining that day against Miami is like saying it is kinda hot in Texas in August. It poured. The few thousand attending were all under the upper deck. My brother and I watched most of it from the north end zone. Still can see Renfro kicking up streams of water from the AstroTurf making sliding catches, like a speeding boat across a lake.

I don't remember it being cold. Just wet.

Remember who Miami's coach was that year? That is a good piece of trivia.

Froglaw

I was there

The Shriners had their halftime carnival show with little cars and mini bikes.

I remember thinking that the AstroTurf was just fuzzy paint on asphalt

Light years from where we are now as a program

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
From Wiki ... apparently they "might have been" which to me means probably not. I always thought there was a family connection.

"Lou Saban shares his last name with another famous football coach, Nick Saban. They were called "distant cousins" in a 2005 article where Lou comments on the younger Saban's success.[112] Upon the death of Lou Saban, his widow, Joyce Saban said the two men might have been second cousins.[113] Saban is of Croatian descent."