• The KillerFrogs

Name Brand Bias

fanatical frog

I am a long time follower of Killer Frogs, 25 year Season Ticket Holder, MBA grad, and bleed purple. Just wanted to get my loyalties out in front. Doing my own research and looking at statistics, a case should be made that TCU should be ranked #1 or #2 currently. Just keep winning and we will be in, but should be in regardless, just like UGA.

View attachment 12795

Sorted based on Record, the SOS, then SOR. I think this is relatively clear. TCU has the highest SOS and SOR for the unbeaten teams. Best win about the same as everyone, we played more ranked teams at the time than anyone.

SEC teams are propped up by National Bias. You all have been saying that on this board for years. The reason that Georgia, Bama, LSU, Tennessee are ranked this high is because they beat other teams in the SEC that are overrated as well.

Don't want my first post to be so long that nobody reads it. But here you go.

Good point. Same analysis could be applied to Ohio State and Michigan.

CountryFrog

Just the fact that Michigan beat Penn State by more doesn't trump everything else. Everything matters.....schedule, point spread, home/away. etc etc etc. All of it. It's really not that hard to comprehend but what people want to do is take the data point that supports their team's argument and emphasize that over all the others, sometimes exclusively over all the others.

Worst loss but the big one we wanted to call out in 2014. All the other stuff didn't matter, it was who lost to the worst team. If we lose Saturday and beat Kansas State, I can guarantee you that argument for TCU fans will be completely flipped to something else. It will probably be who played the least amount of bad teams, or who had the better second halves, or who played the most road games, something like that. It's already happening.
So like with the committee, margin of victory only matters when you need it to matter and how much it matters will vary from one team to the next and from one game to the next.

Putt4Purple

This post reeks of TCU bias. I’m sorry, I don’t care how you want to slant it, there is no way we should be #1 or #2 based on results of games so far. I see you completely ignore scoring margin. Why?

Georgia beat the team that is currently #9 by 46 points, and the team that is currently #10 by 14 points. We beat the team that is #13 by 10. About the same you say? They are beating league opponents by an average of 29 points.

Ohio State beat ND in OOC and is winning their conference games by an average of 18 points more than we are.
I would like to think this is sarcasm but from Wexahue this is his/hers real feelings.
Once again the Big 10,Ohio State bias is wreaking through.
Now reply with statistical numbers especially from Segrin from Wexahue in 3,2,1….

froginmn

OK. They beat Notre Dame by 11. Wisconsin by 31. Iowa by 44. Penn State by 13 (obviously the score doesn't reflect how close it was but you could also say the same thing about our games with KSU and Tech, and UT the other way).

I mean, they've pretty much blown out everyone with the exception of Northwestern and Maryland, and they still won those games by 14 and 13 points. Iowa's 4 losses are by 3, 13, 3, and 44 points.
Not arguing that tOSU isn't a good team but the relative strength of the Big 10 this year is WAY down. You mention the stomping of WI. I'll see them play in person tomorrow for the fourth time in two years, and they are a shell of what they were. They lost at home to Wazzu and their "signature" win I guess is Purdue. They fired their HC and don't look any better. Yes they beat Nebraska by one with a last minute touchdown to get bowl eligible, but...

Tshirt Fan

You lost me.

FWIW, if TCU played Iowa this week we'd be 5-point favorites. I guess that'd be free money. We all know how that often works out.

Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Purdue are more or less the same as Iowa State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. Games between those teams would have a spread under 2. Iowa vs Baylor or Oklahoma would be about a toss up, maybe Iowa a 1-point underdog. The dregs of the Big 10 (Rutgers, Indiana, Nebraska, Northwestern would be about 14-point dogs to all these teams).

So yeah, no way in hell a 20 ppg average difference between the average Big 12 team and average Big 10 team.
5 point favorites? Iowa a toss up vs. Baylor or OU?
Nobody is buying that.

B10 doesn't play round-robin. B12 has an extra conference game.
Iowa State with 1 conference win so far, no bowl hopes whatsoever, beat a team that could play in the B10 championship.
TCU beat Texas in Austin by a higher MOV and better defense than Alabama.

TCU needs to win on Saturday, win the B12, and then go and win it all.

HFrog1999

This post reeks of TCU bias. I’m sorry, I don’t care how you want to slant it, there is no way we should be #1 or #2 based on results of games so far. I see you completely ignore scoring margin. Why?

Georgia beat the team that is currently #9 by 46 points, and the team that is currently #10 by 14 points. We beat the team that is #13 by 10. About the same you say? They are beating league opponents by an average of 29 points.

Ohio State beat ND in OOC and is winning their conference games by an average of 18 points more than we are.

Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

LisaLT

I know it is. And we are #4, and there are no 1-loss teams ahead of us.

As I said in another post, it's like they have us ranked #10 or something. What the hell do people want other than some kind of reason to complain?
I think unless we lose (hopefully never!), we can’t really know how the committee will perceive our team. As we have said, win and your in. Drop one and it becomes a question mark.

HFrog1999

Good post. It is not as if TCU is Coastal or Liberty just getting into the business. The brand bias will go away by winning.

It’s not about winning.

It’s about enrollment.

TCU has been winning for a long time. The Frogs are 8-3 against the longhorns since joining the conference. They are our beotches. UT has brand because they’re a huge school with a giant alumni base. We’ve been much better than them for at least a decade.

HFrog1999

No, it isn't. Sorry, if one team is winning games by 4 TDs every week and another is winning by 1 TD, that matters. How much, people can disagree on, but it absolutely matters. It's not like these schedules are comprised of teams that are THAT different, there is enough interconference play to know that the middle or worst Big 12 team isn't 20 points superior or inferior to the middle or worst Big 10 or SEC or ACC team.

Yeah, they are. The Big 10 and $EC are very top heavy.

Top to bottom the Big 12 is the best and toughest conference.

Wexahu

It’s not about winning.

It’s about enrollment.

TCU has been winning for a long time. The Frogs are 8-3 against the longhorns since joining the conference. They are our beotches. UT has brand because they’re a huge school with a giant alumni base. We’ve been much better than them for at least a decade.
We may have caught up this year, but prior to this season UT had a better Big 12 record than us since we joined the league, despite our record against them and us having their number.

So we really haven’t been much better than they have over the past decade. If we had, our record would’ve a lot better.

LisaLT

Well, ND was ranked #5 at the time, but they absolutely should NOT get credit for beating a Top 5 team, because Notre Dame is not a top 5 team. It doesn't matter what they were ranked at the time the game was played, that's one of the dumbest arguments people make.

Wherever ND ends up ranked is what that win should be judged on. Obviously if ND beats USC Saturday they are going to move up a few spots and that win by OSU looks better than it does now.

And Ohio State shouldn't be ranked higher than based on that one game. They should be ranked higher than us primarily because they have the same record we do but are beating teams by a way larger margin. The Notre Dame wins partially offsets the differences in league schedules to this point. Not that hard to understand, and shouldn't be all that controversial.
The only counter to this would be whether a team sustains key injuries during the season that can dramatically change the potential outcome of its games. I agree that ND had a generous preseason ranking, and didn’t look so great the first half the season but has improved during the course of the season.

Do you think they will beat USC? Isn’t that a home game for ND? That might be helpful to us :)

Wexahu

The only counter to this would be whether a team sustains key injuries during the season that can dramatically change the potential outcome of its games. I agree that ND had a generous preseason ranking, and didn’t look so great the first half the season but has improved during the course of the season.

Do you think they will beat USC? Isn’t that a home game for ND? That might be helpful to us :)
Home game for USC.

I’d probably favor USC but obviously want ND to win because it more or less knocks USC out. But would help Clemson a bit I suppose. Best case weekend is OSU wins big and ND and South Carolina win. Long odds on that last one, it’s at Clemson.

Opintel

Moderators
Every team is different from what they were last week, or X weeks ago. Injuries, mental attitude, and ability to concentrate (family, girlfriend or whatever) are different every week. Comparisons to themselves are really difficult...so how do you do comparative scores between like opponents?

Quite impossible.

Go Frogs!

StealthFrog

Oh look here comes Wex with a contrarian view. Imagine that. You are the voice of reason this board so desperately needs. Thank you for keeping everyone in check and abreast of of the Big 10. Such a tired scheissing bit

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
No, it isn't. Sorry, if one team is winning games by 4 TDs every week and another is winning by 1 TD, that matters. How much, people can disagree on, but it absolutely matters. It's not like these schedules are comprised of teams that are THAT different, there is enough interconference play to know that the middle or worst Big 12 team isn't 20 points superior or inferior to the middle or worst Big 10 or SEC or ACC team.
Except one team winning by 4 TDS against average or worse teams is different than one beating ranked teams 4-5 consecutive weeks by whatever margin.