• The KillerFrogs

Name Brand Bias

jcfair

I am a long time follower of Killer Frogs, 25 year Season Ticket Holder, MBA grad, and bleed purple. Just wanted to get my loyalties out in front. Doing my own research and looking at statistics, a case should be made that TCU should be ranked #1 or #2 currently. Just keep winning and we will be in, but should be in regardless, just like UGA.

1669300640504.png

Sorted based on Record, the SOS, then SOR. I think this is relatively clear. TCU has the highest SOS and SOR for the unbeaten teams. Best win about the same as everyone, we played more ranked teams at the time than anyone.

SEC teams are propped up by National Bias. You all have been saying that on this board for years. The reason that Georgia, Bama, LSU, Tennessee are ranked this high is because they beat other teams in the SEC that are overrated as well.

Don't want my first post to be so long that nobody reads it. But here you go.

Tshirt Fan

Celebration Flag GIF by TCU Football

Wexahu

I am a long time follower of Killer Frogs, 25 year Season Ticket Holder, MBA grad, and bleed purple. Just wanted to get my loyalties out in front. Doing my own research and looking at statistics, a case should be made that TCU should be ranked #1 or #2 currently. Just keep winning and we will be in, but should be in regardless, just like UGA.

View attachment 12795

Sorted based on Record, the SOS, then SOR. I think this is relatively clear. TCU has the highest SOS and SOR for the unbeaten teams. Best win about the same as everyone, we played more ranked teams at the time than anyone.

SEC teams are propped up by National Bias. You all have been saying that on this board for years. The reason that Georgia, Bama, LSU, Tennessee are ranked this high is because they beat other teams in the SEC that are overrated as well.

Don't want my first post to be so long that nobody reads it. But here you go.
This post reeks of TCU bias. I’m sorry, I don’t care how you want to slant it, there is no way we should be #1 or #2 based on results of games so far. I see you completely ignore scoring margin. Why?

Georgia beat the team that is currently #9 by 46 points, and the team that is currently #10 by 14 points. We beat the team that is #13 by 10. About the same you say? They are beating league opponents by an average of 29 points.

Ohio State beat ND in OOC and is winning their conference games by an average of 18 points more than we are.

An-Cap Frog

This post reeks of TCU bias. I’m sorry, I don’t care how you want to slant it, there is no way we should be #1 or #2 based on results of games so far. I see you completely ignore scoring margin. Why?

Georgia beat the team that is currently #9 by 46 points, and the team that is currently #10 by 14 points. We beat the team that is #13 by 10. About the same you say? They are beating league opponents by an average of 29 points.

Ohio State beat ND in OOC and is winning their conference games by an average of 18 points more than we are.
Paul, ND lost to Stanford...at home...to Stanford!

LisaLT

Um KSU is currently ranked 12 by the CFP.

One thing I’d like to add here is that we’ve shutting our opponents down in the second half of games. We may be down at the half in a few of them, but I can’t think of another program that has played second half football the way we have. I know that’s not necessarily a metrics point but it is impressive nonetheless.

Somehow, against all odds, they keep winning. Each week I think I’m going to have a heart attack. I wish the margin of victory was greater since I think that doesn’t impress the committee as much. But being undefeated is truly rarified air for any program in any conference.

Wexahu

Um KSU is currently ranked 12 by the CFP.

One thing I’d like to add here is that we’ve shutting our opponents down in the second half of games. We may be down at the half in a few of them, but I can’t think of another program that has played second half football the way we have. I know that’s not necessarily a metrics point but it is impressive nonetheless.

Somehow, against all odds, they keep winning. Each week I think I’m going to have a heart attack. I wish the margin of victory was greater since I think that doesn’t impress the committee as much. But being undefeated is truly rarified air for any program in any conference.
I know it is. And we are #4, and there are no 1-loss teams ahead of us.

As I said in another post, it's like they have us ranked #10 or something. What the hell do people want other than some kind of reason to complain?

DelFrog

TCU does not deserve to be ranked #1 or #2, but there is not doubt that ‘brand’ bias has and still does play a role in the CFP rankings. Not that it really matters, but a strong case can be made for TCU to be ranked above Michigan, who has played only three road games and faced a weaker overall schedule. As for Frog fans supposed paranoia over the CFP committee selection process, well who can blame them, when you win your final game by 50 points and have the CFP people drop you to from #3 to #6, that paranoia seems to be justified.

Wexahu

Margin of victory is only helpful when teams have similar comparison points (played the same team). Outside of that it’s a useless variable.
No, it isn't. Sorry, if one team is winning games by 4 TDs every week and another is winning by 1 TD, that matters. How much, people can disagree on, but it absolutely matters. It's not like these schedules are comprised of teams that are THAT different, there is enough interconference play to know that the middle or worst Big 12 team isn't 20 points superior or inferior to the middle or worst Big 10 or SEC or ACC team.

jcfair

Thanks Wexahu. I appreciate you pointing out this obvious and intentional flaw in my rationale. I intentionally left out specific stats or facts that might dispute my claim. Exactly the same way that the talking heads do. However, I applied the same rationale across all teams and didn't pick and choose different statistics for different teams.

Should Georgia be #1? As defending NC (although last year shouldn't count), undefeated, second toughest SOS and SOR and the #1 GC in the country, I believe that they should be #1. I do believe the TCU should be #2 even though our current GC is only 16. You can pull out random stats that might support tOSU or Michigan in specific instances but I think playing a much tougher schedule overall is more important than winning 1 or 2 other games. (sound familiar? same argument tOSU used against us in 2014).

Am I complaining about being #4? No. Make sure that you hear that. I am thrilled that we are #4. My bigger complaint is those at #5, #7 and #10.

jcfair

Oh, and schedule and consistent level of competition does matter. We beat Texas by 3 giving up a freak TD to bring it that close. Bama needed a late FG to win by 1. Winning being more important than margin.

The worst team in the Big12 beat the team that is likely going to play in the B1G Championship Game.