My Son's Pine Wood Derby Car

IamFroglash88

"The Blood" on the left and "Super Vader" on the right

carsf.jpg

cars3c.jpg

cars6.jpg

cars7.jpg

IamFroglash88

We just finished "The Blood". The "Super Vader won first place at the Pack competition for the Tiger Scouts. My 7 year old will race again on April 9th in the PWD Districts using "Super Vader". My 4 year old is entering the Open division with "The Blood". He will have a matching shirt that day.

Big Frog II

Wow! When we did ours years ago, we used old bathroom wall paint. I like yours better. We did come in 3rd in our Fort Worth region.

NORMLFROG

I must tell you I hated Dads like you....and I was a Webelos den leader. You types made the rest of us "flying wedge engineers" look bad. Nice work though! :smile:

NF

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Just by quick glance the TCU car has a slight front-end problem that may cause excess friction. Hate to say it but the vader may run a little quicker.

Sean

Administrator
I remember my first race - didn't place and didn't even make the finish line (my family lacks craftsmanship).

I couldn't care less, however. I was kid having fun.

IamFroglash88

Just by quick glance the TCU car has a slight front-end problem that may cause excess friction. Hate to say it but the vader may run a little quicker.
The Vader is a little quicker at this point in time. We have 2 wks before the race to fine tune things. We haven't applied any graphite to The Blood yet.

Ahhh the PWD. Good times. I didn't have a spiffy car, but fortunately the only thing that really matters is the set of wheels you end up with. These cars both look awesome.

tcudoc

Nice cars. I love them, but I agree with NORML. They should have a competition for the adults and one for the kids, not one for the adults that they pretend is done by the kids. The kids of people who have no woodworking or building skills (my kids) are at a severe disadvantage. Or maybe they just need two classes: cars actually made by kids and cars made by adults for their kids. Same thing with science fair projects.
All that being said, your car looks amazing. Your kid is lucky to have a cool dad who has those skills to pass on to them.

Houston Frog

Nice cars. I love them, but I agree with NORML. They should have a competition for the adults and one for the kids, not one for the adults that they pretend is done by the kids. The kids of people who have no woodworking or building skills (my kids) are at a severe disadvantage. Or maybe they just need two classes: cars actually made by kids and cars made by adults for their kids. Same thing with science fair projects.
All that being said, your car looks amazing. Your kid is lucky to have a cool dad who has those skills to pass on to them.

Stiff Arm Frog

The Pinewood Derby is awesome. However, this reminds me of something we did in Middle School shop class. My shop teacher back then was crazy and thought it would be fun if everyone in the class made derby cars, drilled a hole in the back, stuck a CO2 cartridge back there, and shot them across the room like rockets.

He had this launch set rigged up, with nails driven into a 2x4, and he'd line up all the cars and hit the board with a hammer, setting them off. The races lasted about half a second, first one to the end of the shop won. If your car blew up you were disqualified.

He didn't last much longer after I left. Something about "safety violations."

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I expect the whole point was to get Dad-Kid relations working.

However,like the ol' science project at elementary school, it's nearly impossible to keep the parent from overwhelming the kid. Had a bro-in-law on the local school board who voted not to do a science project at the lower grade level because, in his experience, it boiled down to which parent outdid the other. My relative felt the real lesson taught to the kids was a mixed one at best (until you get some participants of high school age who can, and do, pull these projects off on their own).

I've been the kid and the parent in both of these contests, so I can understand the value of them and the pitfalls. I suppose it is really determined by the dynamics of each family involved.

IamFroglash88

Every father in the Tiger Scouts helped the exact same way. At times the entire group spent the den meetings working on the cars together. The shape of most of the cars are very similar. A few scouts wanted a different look.

"The Blood" (TCU Car) was for my 4 yr old. He is not a scout, but wanted me to help him and is actually racing in an open division on the 9th. The open division will most likely range from 4 to adult in age.

tcudoc

However,like the ol' science project at elementary school, it's nearly impossible to keep the parent from overwhelming the kid. Had a bro-in-law on the local school board who voted not to do a science project at the lower grade level because, in his experience, it boiled down to which parent outdid the other.

Comedian Brian Regan has a nice bit about the science fair from when he was a kid and how the parents did all of the work for the kids whose projects won. There was the kid who did the model of the universe every year ("The big yellow one is the Sun!!"), Brian's "Cup of dirt," and then the one whose parents backed the project up to the school on a flatbed truck. Pretty funny stuff if you ever get a chance to hear it.

Houston Frog

Comedian Brian Regan has a nice bit about the science fair from when he was a kid and how the parents did all of the work for the kids whose projects won. There was the kid who did the model of the universe every year ("The big yellow one is the Sun!!"), Brian's "Cup of dirt," and then the one whose parents backed the project up to the school on a flatbed truck. Pretty funny stuff if you ever get a chance to hear it.

See Post #14 in this thread (from his early days)