• The KillerFrogs

My biggest pleasant surprise this season..

Wexahu

Kendre Miller, especially his speed. I saw from last year he looked very good, as a quick, tough back.

But I did not know how fast he is. A couple of long runs this year he just ran away from the secondary. A couple of times they had the angle on him but not the speed.
Has a bit of Eric Dickerson in him. Kind of glides, doesn't look like he's going all that fast, but he is. I wouldn't really call him "quick" though, more of a downhill guy.

2themax

K Miller
The athletic potential of S Banks (hope he stays) to the defense.
Potential of QB depth
TJ Carter's physical play
Iffy about the HC change but giddy about a new staff coming in.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Biggest pleasant surprise is that the AD did what needed to be done. There is no close second.
Not only that, all was kept pretty danged quiet, and it seems to me that he had this all charted out and executed with next to no outside knowledge. Announcements were only made when the matter was signed, sealed, and delivered.

No one knew the 16 ton weight was falling on them until it hit.

Pharm Frog

And how many out there were saying he was worthless? He did what he had to do, and he did it like someone with a law background. Quietly without everyone and their dog knowing about before hand.
My impression is that he did it like someone who knew his own job was on the line…which isn’t intended to take anything away from what or how he did it. I have no idea what relationship this has to having a background in law.

westoverhillbilly

I, for one, am impressed with JD in my limited dealings with him- a meal and a few discussions- I admit that I have had small doubts that have he's the right guy for the job but those have disappeared. I talked to one young man today at the press conference who joined the Athletic Department in July, coming here from the Ole Miss AD who's also worked at Tulsa and UH. Without prodding, he stated that JD is top notch compared to who he's worked for before- that JD constantly encourages his people to be creative and to push boundaries. He said that JD's background in sports law and agency relationships is truly unique and it's known in college athletic dept circles as a very well run organization.

Counseling out a legend takes some cojones, not to mention fortitude- I believe JD played a significant role in it. It was the right thing to do after having a losing record over a 4 year period. Yes, it was sad, but this is what strong leaders do.

PurpleBlood87

You and I have different perspectives on the word “pleasant”. I agree that the biggest horrifying surprise was the performance of the defensive unit followed closely by the apparent unwillingness to compete. And those two are probably related.

I read the topic wrong and deleted my post.