• The KillerFrogs

MWC Considering Expansion "Pre-emptive strike"!

Nick Danger

MWC Expansion

This is a link to a radio interview from last week where the PAC-10 and MWC Commissioners discussed their expansion plans. In his part, Thompson says that the MWC is considering a "pre-emptive strike" by expanding to 12 teams!

Nick Danger

Well, after actually listening to the interview, Thompson didn't seem like he was considering going to 12 teams all that much! :unsure:

Purple Geezer

QUOTE(George F. Will @ Apr 30 2010, 05:04 PM) [snapback]553265[/snapback]
May I suggest Texas and Oklahoma?

The smart thing to do right away: take Boise and Fresno. For the third team? Houston...SMU...Tulsa? No votes for Baylor?

AEAfrog

QUOTE(Purple Geezer @ Apr 30 2010, 11:26 AM) [snapback]553284[/snapback]
The smart thing to do right away: take Boise and Fresno. For the third team? Houston...SMU...Tulsa? No votes for Baylor?

Not Tulsa. Too small and not even remotely in control of their own market.

713frog

QUOTE(AEAfrog @ Apr 30 2010, 12:30 PM) [snapback]553288[/snapback]

not smu. they've only had one good season in the past 20

froginaustin

QUOTE(AEAfrog @ Apr 30 2010, 11:30 AM) [snapback]553288[/snapback]

Neither is Houston or SMU. :biggrin:

AEAfrog

QUOTE(froginaustin @ Apr 30 2010, 11:32 AM) [snapback]553292[/snapback]
Neither is Houston or SMU. :biggrin:

Houston and SMU at least have a student base to draw on. Tulsa is half the size of TCU and only 3000 of their 4000 students are undergrads. More so than any other school in the FBS bracket, I think they're at their ceiling as far as what their athletic program can do.

froginaustin

QUOTE(AEAfrog @ Apr 30 2010, 11:35 AM) [snapback]553294[/snapback]
Houston and SMU at least have a student base to draw on. Tulsa is half the size of TCU and only 3000 of their 4000 students are undergrads. More so than any other school in the FBS bracket, I think they're at their ceiling as far as what their athletic program can do.

My apologies for not looking up the actual numbers, but I have the impression that Tulsa puts more butts in seats than either SMU or UHouston. So much for the bigger student bodies at those 2.

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(iconoclast @ Apr 30 2010, 11:38 AM) [snapback]553296[/snapback]
<br />The Plano schools would help cement the Metroplex.<br />

Allen has surpassed smu in drawing power. Pretty much leaves UH as a potential 3rd.

Opintel

Moderators
QUOTE(froglicious @ Apr 30 2010, 12:43 PM) [snapback]553300[/snapback]
Allen has surpassed smu in drawing power. Pretty much leaves UH as a potential 3rd.

They'll have a much nicer stadium too! :tongue:

fdub

any intelligent discussion of SMU has to be a whole lot more forward looking than backward looking...

... but anyone who looks for intelligent discussion around here is lacking exactly that: intelligence.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(fdub @ Apr 30 2010, 02:36 PM) [snapback]553401[/snapback]
any intelligent discussion of SMU has to be a whole lot more forward looking than backward looking...

How 'bout see how SMU does without their 2 best players (and half their offense) before we anoint them the 'next big thing', huh?

AEAfrog

QUOTE(froginaustin @ Apr 30 2010, 11:40 AM) [snapback]553297[/snapback]
My apologies for not looking up the actual numbers, but I have the impression that Tulsa puts more butts in seats than either SMU or UHouston. So much for the bigger student bodies at those 2.

Maybe, but, as far as the wealth of the fanbase and TV sets go, Tulsa brings nothing. Not saying that SMU or Houston bring either of those things either, but they at least have the capacity to do so if they can catch the attention of their students/cities. Tulsa is as powerful now as it ever will be.

MO Frogs

QUOTE(AEAfrog @ Apr 30 2010, 05:30 PM) [snapback]553288[/snapback]

Their market? Oh you mean Americas Toothbrush!

Frog75

QUOTE(froginaustin @ Apr 30 2010, 11:40 AM) [snapback]553297[/snapback]

Tulsa is a master at hype. Those attendance figures are bogus, plus they probably give away more tickets than they sell. They have virtually no fan support in Tulsa.

AEAfrog

QUOTE(MO Frogs @ Apr 30 2010, 02:42 PM) [snapback]553500[/snapback]
Their market? Oh you mean Americas Toothbrush!

I don't get it... :unsure: