• The KillerFrogs

Muscatine Journal: Opportunity knocks for Rivera at TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.muscatinejournal.com/sports/col...1cc4c002e0.html

4b600dc8-4319-11df-b631-001cc4c002e0.preview-300.jpg

Muscatine native Brance Rivera is hitting .500 for
12th-ranked TCU in the early portion of the 2010 season.

[SIZE=14pt]Alumni watch: Opportunity knocks for Rivera at TCU[/SIZE]

MUSCATINE, Iowa – Opportunity has struck for Muscatine's Brance Rivera, a sophomore baseball player for Texas Christian University.

The infielder-turned-outfielder has started nine games so far for No. 12 TCU, which holds a 20-7 record.

"He's always been such a hard worker," said Jim Schlossnagle, head coach of the Horned Frogs. "He's been behind some players, but because of sickness, injuries and poor performance ahead of him, he's gotten an opportunity and has run with it the past couple of weeks.

"He's done great – he's gotten stronger, put on weight and made adjustments to his swing to get the most out of it. I'm a firm believer in good things happening to good people and he's a good example. He can run, has good speed and size. It was only a mater of time before he got a chance."

In 36 at-bats this season, Rivera has 18 hits for a .500 batting average.

"Well, I started the season off as being the backup centerfielder," Rivera said.

"I'd get a pinch hit or something, and I'd do pretty well. I worked hard to get into the starting lineup and it worked out. I'm playing pretty well.

"Things are going great."

Asked what the strongest part of Rivera's game is, Schlossnagle couldn't limit it to one thing.

"Of the five tools, physically, his strongest suit is his speed," Schlossnagle said. "His hitting is coming and his best tool is his intelligence. I'd take a smart guy over a not smart guy. He doesn't get too high or too low –he runs on an even keel – there are a lot of positives about him."

Rivera is hearing good things from the coaching staff, as well.

"They've been telling me I've been doing a good job," Rivera said. "Everyone on the team, everyone even sitting on the bench is capable of starting so they are going to be supportive of everyone. Basically, they tell me, 'Good job.'"

Adjusting from the high school to the college game has been quite an experience for Rivera.

"College baseball is definitely a different game than high school ball," Rivera said, "especially coming from Iowa. I'm around guys who are playing year-round. I've learned that the importance of working hard every day and not just coming to the field to practice."

During the College World Series last season, Rivera came in as a pinch-hitter and drove in a run with a hit.

"I mean, it was experience of my life, to play in a game like that, and to get a hit," Rivera said of that moment. "(It's) definitely something I'll always remember."

In addition to hitting .500 this season, Rivera has scored 15 runs, hit three doubles, two home runs and drove in 12 runs. He has been walked four times and hit by a pitch once.

"It's hard to maintain a .500 average," Schlossnagle said. "But, he's a real intelligent player and it is a matter of sticking to the process and moving forward."

This year, Rivera's goals haven't changed from what they were when he started.

"Honestly, whenever I play, I want to go out there and give it my all," Rivera said, "to work at it with all my heart and for the Lord. Every time I go out and play, I give it my all and be thankful for all the Lord has blessed me with."

A glance at Brance Rivera
- Sport: Baseball
- Position: Outfield
- Parents: Matt and Susanna Rivera
- Year: Sophomore
- Height: 6-2
- Weight: 190
- Major: Movement science (pre-physical therapy)

ThaNewLB.U.TCU

"During the College World Series last season, Rivera came in as a pinch-hitter and drove in a run with a hit."

I am not sure where I was for this one.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(ThaNewLB.U.TCU @ Apr 10 2010, 09:26 AM) [snapback]542830[/snapback]
"During the College World Series last season, Rivera came in as a pinch-hitter and drove in a run with a hit."

I am not sure where I was for this one.

:rolleyes:

Maybe it's a story from the future.