• The KillerFrogs

Morris wearing Daltons Number?

mgsouthpaw

I know others have too like David Porter, but why do they continue to give this number 14 out? isn’t number 14 destined for the rafters? Crazy if not.

Zubaz

College football rosters are so much bigger than the NFL, to the point where numbers are often doubled up on even in the same year (remember the infamous "two number 2's" debacle, but also QJ and Hodges-Tomlinson both wearing #1, Coleman and Davis both wearing #11, etc.). As a result, we're a lot more judicious with taking numbers out of circulation than they are in the NFL.

If I recall, #5 isn't even "retired", I think they used the phrase "honored" or something where a player that wants to wear it has to appeal to Tomlinson directly. I could be misremembering there but I feel like they went out of their way to avoid the "retired" terminology.

AD is an all-time great in TCU history, both in performance and influence. If there's a Frog that's next on the list to have his jersey retired it's probably him, but I don't see the pressing need for it either.

namollec

Caught a little bit of the UTSA game Saturday night.
Didn't know any players so I referenced their roster.

They had listed four #2 jerseys - two on offense and two on defense.
When the two offensive guys were on the field at the same time, one wore #1 of which no one was listed as using on the roster.

It got kinda confusing.

Limey Frog

IIRC #5 isn’t “officially retired,” but it won‘t be issued unless LT approves it.

I would love to see this happen. If we're handing out the #5 jersey, things are going well.

(FWIW, that's how I felt watching Morris when I ran through the game on Sunday morning--I'm not upset by a TCU quarterback wearing #14 unless he's not doing it right. I love seeing a kid wear it and play like that. I'll bet AD was pretty happy about it, too.)

Dr. Coach Haus

Only three numbers are not to be worn for TCU at this time that I currently know. I don't think any number is officially retired, but emphasized not to be worn.

#5 LT
#8 Davey O'Brien
#45 Sammy Baugh