• The KillerFrogs

More Wiscy classlessness

gdu

Any group that chants obscenities during the national anthem automatically rates as zero class. As many have stated, most of the older Wisconsin fans I can across were fun to talk with both before and after the game. However, almost none of the 25 and below fans were tolerable. I got tired of their comments the week before the game, regularly responded with "apparently Vegas thinks the Frogs are better". After the game, one idiot gave me a shoulder in the crowd, and I wished him a pleasant car ride back to Wisconsin, with a chuckle or two.

We were in Santa Monica the day of the Wisky pep rally and were outnumbered about 200 to 1. A nice lady asked me if the sea of red fans was too obnoxious and I replied "We have groups that wear burnt orange or maroon that define 'obnoxious', so I can handle you guys."
What about people who scream "woo pig soiee" during the moment of silence for the victims of the tornadoes in Arkansas?

Pharm Frog

What about people who scream "woo pig soiee" during the moment of silence for the victims of the tornadoes in Arkansas?

I didn't hear that last night (tuned in just after kick-off) but I'll be sure to ask my Arkie sales reps once they get back from NOLA. I'm quite certain that they will have found that distasteful and classless.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I didn't hear that last night (tuned in just after kick-off) but I'll be sure to ask my Arkie sales reps once they get back from NOLA. I'm quite certain that they will have found that distasteful and classless.

They were filming the next commercial which will supplant "Roll Tide."

atlanta_badger

First of all, I would like to extend a very hearty and deserved "congrats" to TCU for their Rose Bowl win over us, and more importantly, showing how the game should be played. As a Badger fan and football enthusiast, I enjoyed watching TCU play hard-nosed D and employing a versatile offense that was able to move the ball quickly despite the size of our D. Well done!

Second of all, I would like to apologize on behalf of fellow Badger fans to any TCU fans that had a rude encounter with any classless Wisconsin fans. Please note that people like these are amateurs and truly do not understand the meaning of being a Badger fan and a Wisconsin alumn. We love to drink and engage in good natured ribbing (I know it sounds crass at times) with our opponents. Afterwards we love to by opposing teams' fans drinks as a show of hospitality, which leads me to my main point.

It seems that a lot of folks on these boards were perturbed by what amounts to be a drastic difference in culture between the two schools. UW is located in a state that has a rich Catholic tradition with strong ties to the old country, which embodies a culture where drinking is more commonplace in social settings than in the more-evangelical South. I must admit that being from Wisconsin, I was at first put off by the appearance of TCU fans as being rather stuffy and a little snobby given the fact that TCU is an elite private institution with expensive tuition and affluent alumni and supporters. The rather preppy dress of the TCU fans seemed foreign to many Wisconsin fans overall. However like all folks who foolishly turn to prejudiced views, I was greatly mistaken.

My dumb self accidently purchased seats in the TCU section, so I had to sit amidst the sea of purple for the first half, before finding some neutral fans in the Wisconsin section who were willing to trade seats. While sitting in the TCU section, all of the fans were not only polite, but welcoming and outgoing. There was some good-natured willing, a lot of laughs, and great football talk (TCU fans showed a great gasp of the game compared to many other obnoxious so-called fans). When I was cheering out loud whenever Wisconsin scored, I immediately joked that I meant no disrespect and that I really didn't want to be sitting in the TCU section no more than they wanted me there. Everybody around me was laughing out loud, which of course made me completely at ease while sitting in a section surrounded by the fans of the opposing team. All of the fans seemed to know everything about their players and were gracious enough to even compliment the Badgers whenever they made a play. After the game, I didn't want to talk to anybody - understandably given our devastating loss. However I, and many other Wisconsin fans, made sure that we congratulated TCU fans on their team's historic victory.

Wisconsin fans are definitely unruly and it's something that is part of our student culture - rooted in the 60s when many college kids used games as a vehicle to vent their frustrations at the then-current state of affairs in the country with the war and all. They are also rooted in the fact that our football team spent decades in the cellar, so resorting to hijinks was one of the better ways of distracting us from our losing team over the down years. The Fifth Quarter embodies this tradition and is performed after every game. Win or lose, thousands of Wisconsin fans remain after the game to show school spirit in both good and bad times (by the way, the Wisky fan in the video dancing to Space Badgers was during the Fifth Quarter). Many of the traditions seem goofy or crass, but they are all done in good nature.

Another part of our culture that is distinct, not only from TCU's but overall Southern culture, is our perception of profanity. This is something that is distinct among regions wherever you travel in this world, so I understand how some TCU fans may have been put off by some of the Wisconsin chants. However at the same time, there are probably things that some TCU fans say that could come off as uncouth to Badger fans. For example, there is a thread on this forum when an original poster said that the Wisconsin band's marching style looked "gay". There were also drunken TCU fans that were yelling profanities at Wisconsin fans, exemplified by calling Wisconsin women fat or just overall rudeness. However as an adult, I know that these sentiments are not even remotely representative of the overall TCU fanbase.

All in all, I'm sure we all can agree that the Rose Bowl was also the setting of a culture clash of two very different universities; but I hope that we can all agree that even more importantly, this was a clash of two very talented college football teams in which the better one won. I, for one, am happy for TCU and I wish you all the luck in dominating the Big East! Hopefully we can meet at another BCS bowl in the near future for a rematch! :wink:

Congrats again to the Frogs!

Pharm Frog

First of all, I would like to extend a very hearty and deserved "congrats" to TCU for their Rose Bowl win over us, and more importantly, showing how the game should be played. As a Badger fan and football enthusiast, I enjoyed watching TCU play hard-nosed D and employing a versatile offense that was able to move the ball quickly despite the size of our D. Well done!

Second of all, I would like to apologize on behalf of fellow Badger fans to any TCU fans that had a rude encounter with any classless Wisconsin fans. Please note that people like these are amateurs and truly do not understand the meaning of being a Badger fan and a Wisconsin alumn. We love to drink and engage in good natured ribbing (I know it sounds crass at times) with our opponents. Afterwards we love to by opposing teams' fans drinks as a show of hospitality, which leads me to my main point.

It seems that a lot of folks on these boards were perturbed by what amounts to be a drastic difference in culture between the two schools. UW is located in a state that has a rich Catholic tradition with strong ties to the old country, which embodies a culture where drinking is more commonplace in social settings than in the more-evangelical South. I must admit that being from Wisconsin, I was at first put off by the appearance of TCU fans as being rather stuffy and a little snobby given the fact that TCU is an elite private institution with expensive tuition and affluent alumni and supporters. The rather preppy dress of the TCU fans seemed foreign to many Wisconsin fans overall. However like all folks who foolishly turn to prejudiced views, I was greatly mistaken.

My dumb self accidently purchased seats in the TCU section, so I had to sit amidst the sea of purple for the first half, before finding some neutral fans in the Wisconsin section who were willing to trade seats. While sitting in the TCU section, all of the fans were not only polite, but welcoming and outgoing. There was some good-natured willing, a lot of laughs, and great football talk (TCU fans showed a great gasp of the game compared to many other obnoxious so-called fans). When I was cheering out loud whenever Wisconsin scored, I immediately joked that I meant no disrespect and that I really didn't want to be sitting in the TCU section no more than they wanted me there. Everybody around me was laughing out loud, which of course made me completely at ease while sitting in a section surrounded by the fans of the opposing team. All of the fans seemed to know everything about their players and were gracious enough to even compliment the Badgers whenever they made a play. After the game, I didn't want to talk to anybody - understandably given our devastating loss. However I, and many other Wisconsin fans, made sure that we congratulated TCU fans on their team's historic victory.

Wisconsin fans are definitely unruly and it's something that is part of our student culture - rooted in the 60s when many college kids used games as a vehicle to vent their frustrations at the then-current state of affairs in the country with the war and all. They are also rooted in the fact that our football team spent decades in the cellar, so resorting to hijinks was one of the better ways of distracting us from our losing team over the down years. The Fifth Quarter embodies this tradition and is performed after every game. Win or lose, thousands of Wisconsin fans remain after the game to show school spirit in both good and bad times (by the way, the Wisky fan in the video dancing to Space Badgers was during the Fifth Quarter). Many of the traditions seem goofy or crass, but they are all done in good nature.

Another part of our culture that is distinct, not only from TCU's but overall Southern culture, is our perception of profanity. This is something that is distinct among regions wherever you travel in this world, so I understand how some TCU fans may have been put off by some of the Wisconsin chants. However at the same time, there are probably things that some TCU fans say that could come off as uncouth to Badger fans. For example, there is a thread on this forum when an original poster said that the Wisconsin band's marching style looked "gay". There were also drunken TCU fans that were yelling profanities at Wisconsin fans, exemplified by calling Wisconsin women fat or just overall rudeness. However as an adult, I know that these sentiments are not even remotely representative of the overall TCU fanbase.

All in all, I'm sure we all can agree that the Rose Bowl was also the setting of a culture clash of two very different universities; but I hope that we can all agree that even more importantly, this was a clash of two very talented college football teams in which the better one won. I, for one, am happy for TCU and I wish you all the luck in dominating the Big East! Hopefully we can meet at another BCS bowl in the near future for a rematch! :wink:

Great post. If you're ever in OKC, I'll buy you a drink provided you wear your red and white striped overalls and I'll wear my khaki's and blazer; we'll talk some football; cuss a lot; and then high step over to a prayer meeting at the church. Just kidding on everything but the drink!

jack the frog

First class post.
Great post to draw this matter to a close imo.

tcumaniac

dude... half your cheers have the F word in them... that's more than different culture... that's classless white trash.

mopack

dude... half your cheers have the F word in them... that's more than different culture... that's classless white trash.

Maybe try reading and understanding exactly what was said before responding next time. Seems like that elitist attitude that all of you guys talked incessantly about before the game may be a little more pervasive within your own community than you thought.

maximilian

F-bomb them right back. Or don't. Doesn't bother me if they organize it that way. Complaining about it won't do anything except show that it got to you.

stell91

She's saying that their PERCEPTION of profanity is different. Meaning (I assume) that in Wisconsin words like the "s" word or the "f" word aren't thought of as much as profane obscenities but more of just words that are said. I am inclined to believe this because while I was there I met MANY badger fans who, at the same time, couldn't go three words without saying the F word but still were polite to us. Wisconsin is a different place, man, the culture is historically very different that the south.

And to Atlanta Badger Fan, I loved your post. I met some great badger fans who I'm glad I ran into
biggrin.gif

The Dude

You sir, are honestly an idiot if you sincerely believe that this is isolated to Texas, or so much more widespread there. It is a million times worse in Scottsdale and Southern California. Young women "dating" older men for their money is not rare and it's not isolated to one part of the country, I'm sure it happens plenty in the Midwest. If there are affluent older men, and beautiful young women, this situation happens. I'm sure the few good looking girls in Wisconsin have banged out an older dude for a purse at one time or another, so yes, I can deny that it is a Texas thing.

Im not saying young women mounting older men for dough is rare. What I am saying is........it seems in Texas this goes on with older men that are just of average means, not rich or anything like that. SUPER STRANGE.....to say the least.

macaroni

I'm glad you had a positive experience in a TCU section, Atlanta Badger. There was a Wisconsin fan by himself right behind us in section 15. We didn't realize right away he was a Badger (he was wearing a gray shirt with a very faded Wisconsin on it) until my husband tried to high five him after a TCU score. He grew up in Wisconsin but went to college at WVU and now lives in SoCal. When the final first down was called he saw me start crying and he hugged me and said "we'll see you in the Big East".

I really had almost nothing but positive interactions with Wisky fans. The worst comment I heard was directed at my husband who was carrying my big TCU bag for me and someone said something to the effect of "I didn't know dem froggy boys had purple purses". There may have been some individual incidents, but I saw nothing to think their fan base as a whole was anything near as obnoxious as Arkansas or Tech.

stell91

Im not saying young women mounting older men for dough is rare. What I am saying is........it seems in Texas this goes on with older men that are just of average means, not rich or anything like that. SUPER STRANGE.....to say the least.

That's because in Texas we have a good number of "$50,000 Millionaires." Lots of people who don't make lots of money but will mortgage their future to have a nice car and LOOK rich. It's especially prevalent in Dallas and lots of young girls fall for it..

The Dude

That's because in Texas we have a good number of "$50,000 Millionaires." Lots of people who don't make lots of money but will mortgage their future to have a nice car and LOOK rich. It's especially prevalent in Dallas and lots of young girls fall for it..

Alright,....gotcha. Now I get it. Makes sense. Actually, I was telling one of my OLDER BUDDIES about how it is down there once. He said HECK,,,Bring me along next time. This guy is 60 years old, but looks and acts like he is late 40,s or so. He and I both earn a pretty decent living, but are far from rich. Especially living up here. Still cant believe how CHEAP everything is down there. ! NICE! So one night we go out to a small Blues club in Fort Worth called J and J's Blues bar " its not there anymore" ....and just like clockwork, the guy had FOUR young broads sitting with him at the table. Dang near fighting over him...LOL I told him he otta just take all 4 home....Pretty sure he could have too...LOL

michaelperrytcu

You are a complete idiot. I can't believe you are arguing this. Even more, I can't believe you are arguing this on a football board. What exactly are your sources of evidence for this stupid [Craig James] hypothesis??? Dumb. Not only the hypothesis, but you. You are a dumb [Craig James] person, however, I think you are just bright enough to know it.

The Dude

I was at a strip joint In Dallas once, not Baby dolls, another one, cant think of what its called now. Weird laws down there, we had to bring in our own bottles. [ What the heck? ]???? Anyway,...this little blonde headed stripper is telling me how they raised her rent, how her rent is going all the way up to 450.00 a month. This is like oh, 5 years ago at the most. She lived in Euhliss , think thats how its spelled anyway. When she said 450 a month I almost spit my drink out.....LOL Im thinking.....And your complaining???? Your cost of living is pretty cheap down there, I envy that. You guys are pretty lucky in that respect. Bout the only thing I saw down there that was more expensive then here was alchohol. Here they practically give the stuff away...

The Dude

You are a complete idiot. I can't believe you are arguing this. Even more, I can't believe you are arguing this on a football board. What exactly are your sources of evidence for this stupid [Craig James] hypothesis???

Another poster already confirmed it, plus we ALL KNOW its true anyway. Why lie??? Like I said.....they didnt make the Troy Barkman commercial for nuthin........:unsure:

The Dude

Once in awhile I used to stop in at the old Ball Park Inn in Arlington before they tore it down to make room for the new stadium. ROTFLMAO! Whole hordes of 20 somethings dancing with guys that needed their depends changed later in the evening. TOO FUNNY!

The Dude

You are a complete idiot. I can't believe you are arguing this. Even more, I can't believe you are arguing this on a football board. What exactly are your sources of evidence for this stupid [Craig James] hypothesis??? Dumb. Not only the hypothesis, but you. You are a dumb [Craig James] person, however, I think you are just bright enough to know it.

This thread is dedicated to classnessness. I dont know about you, but I cant think of anything less classy then having your daughters willingly bought and sold like cattle by a bunch of geriatric old men who really dont have any dough anyway.