1. The KillerFrogs

Mom Says 6-Year-Old Son Is Transgender. Dad Disagrees. Now He Might Lose His Son.

Discussion in 'Killingsworth Court, Formerly The General Forum' started by ThisIsOurTime, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Leap Frog likes this.
  2. How the hell would a six year old be able to make a judgement?
    This is nuts.

I vote for CPS (and they suck, frequently) to step in.

gohornedfrogs and ThisIsOurTime like this.
  3. I think the mother is the one who needs to be in therapy.

ThisIsOurTime likes this.
  4. Having dealt with CPS for a few years while we were guardians to my nieces I can tell you that they're not going to intervene on the father's behalf, in fact I wouldn't doubt for a second that they're actually helping the mom with her legal battle. Most of the CPS agents I interacted with lack logic and reason and act purely out of emotion, I could tell stories but to give you just one example I nearly had to give up my consulting gig with several distilleries because our case worker didn't drink and didn't understand how alcohol could be anything other than pure evil. Because of that I had to pack up my entire library of whiskies and all beer and stored it at my parent's house for TWO YEARS (didn't even dare buy a 6-pack to keep in the fridge for fear that she'd do an unannounced spot check).

Leap Frog likes this.
  5. Tough situation, and due to the now political nature of it, finding a neutral news report would probably prove difficult (that Federalist headline is....yikes). Certainly there are times where when parents disagree you have to override the will of one parent in the name of the child's safety. For example if the ex-husband was a Jehovah's Witness and wanted to refuse a blood transfusion, or if the ex-husband was a Scientologist and wanted to prevent a child from seeking any psychiatric care. On the other, if the diagnosis is truly in dispute, then such a permanent procedure could be extremely damaging later in life. Especially when you are dealing with a diagnosis that is relatively new and uncharted. There's also the issue of custody, is the mother the primary and the father has visitation rights, or do they split custody equally? That would probably impact who gets a more active say in the medical decisions of the child.

Seems the obvious answer would be to allow the kid to dress / identify however they want until they are at such an age to be able to more competently choose a permanent surgical procedure for themselves, but that's an arm-chair opinion without knowing a ton of the specifics.

6. If the father is at all smart, he should sign over his parental rights, then get the hell out of Dodge......start his life over