• The KillerFrogs

MLB baseball draft

FBallFan123

Interestingly, Mississippi State could get two 1st round draft picks to campus, if Carter Stewart doesn't sign by today's deadline (wrist injury, Braves are reportedly massively underslotting him now)...

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-mlb-draft-signings-status-update/c-284018650

Draft signings: 3 first-rounders remain unsigned

MLB Pipeline said:
Braves: Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS (Melbourne, Fla.)
No. 8 overall, pick value: $4,980,700

A wrist injury bothered Stewart toward the end of his high school season and has created concerns for the Braves after they viewed the results of his post-Draft physical. The two sides are believed to be the furthest apart of any of the first-round pairings, with Atlanta reportedly offering less than half of his pick value to the Mississippi State recruit. If the Braves can sign him, they'll make a run at 34th-rounder Zack Hess.

MLB Pipeline said:
Dodgers: J.T. Ginn, RHP, Brandon (Miss.) HS
No. 30 overall, pick value: $2,275,800

Ginn announced on Twitter on Thursday night that he will attend Mississippi State and would become the fifth first rounder in the bonus-pool era to choose college over a professional contract. He would be Draft-eligible as a 21-year-old sophomore in 2020.

Moose Stuff

Carter Stewart is hurt FWIW, hence the below slot offer. SEC kept some really good arms from MLB this draft.....Stewart, Ginn, Cole Wilcox, Kumar Rocker, Gunnar Hoglund, Garrett Wade, Landon Marceaux, Cole Henry..... In addition to those arms you’ve also got highly ranked kids like Nander DeSedas and Elijah Cabell heading to FSU, Matt McClain to UCLA, and Slade Cecconi to Miami. When people say that TCU shouldn’t be signing kids of this caliber because they never get to campus.... this is why you sign those kids.

flyfishingfrog

Carter Stewart is hurt FWIW, hence the below slot offer. SEC kept some really good arms from MLB this draft.....Stewart, Ginn, Cole Wilcox, Kumar Rocker, Gunnar Hoglund, Garrett Wade, Landon Marceaux, Cole Henry..... In addition to those arms you’ve also got highly ranked kids like Nander DeSedas and Elijah Cabell heading to FSU, Matt McClain to UCLA, and Slade Cecconi to Miami. When people say that TCU shouldn’t be signing kids of this caliber because they never get to campus.... this is why you sign those kids.
I thought the rumor was Stewart was going JUCO so he could be drafted again next year?

I don’t think anyone said don’t sign them - I think what was discussed is you need to recruit assuming they won’t show up and deal with the scholarship issue the 1 in a 100 times they do make campus - not assume they will choose school over mlb and then when they don’t, you only have a plan C...

The top 100 recruits whose dad was a major league ball player is a totally different issue - they seem to never make campus unless there is health problem or your dad has front row seats at the school and is in their HoF already

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I thought the rumor was Stewart was going JUCO so he could be drafted again next year?

I don’t think anyone said don’t sign them - I think what was discussed is you need to recruit assuming they won’t show up and deal with the scholarship issue the 1 in a 100 times they do make campus - not assume they will choose school over mlb and then when they don’t, you only have a plan C...

The top 100 recruits whose dad was a major league ball player is a totally different issue - they seem to never not make campus unless there is health problem or your dad has front row seats at the school and is in their HoF already

That rumor is going around, wouldn’t surprise me.

We definitely had people that were at the very least strongly questioning it.