• The KillerFrogs

MLB baseball draft

sdfish

Alek Thomas signed with the Dbacks today.

Don’t think Mateo Gil has signed yet, but based on his dad’s Twitter it seems imminent.

Realtorfrog

I teally thought Thomas would enroll....... not like he needs the money. Hope he likes buses and not the best hotels......minor leagues are not glamorous at all. Roughing it!!

Realtorfrog

Hmm. Let’s see - the D Backs pay me to play baseball or I pay TCU to play baseball. I could see where one might choose the former.

Think outside the money......low minors which is where most of these guys start is a long way from the comforts they are accustomed to.

Eight

Think outside the money......low minors which is where most of these guys start is a long way from the comforts they are accustomed to.

if any player has an understanding of exactly what it is like for the players working their way through the minors i would have to think it is a player whose father works with a mlb club and engages with a variety of players

same with gil and the 3rd baseman from from az that tcu lost last year.

thomas is in interviews prior to the draft had commented that his parents had been teaching him to take care of himself in the event he did sign and go the minors. this wasn't decision made without lost and some idea of the life in the minors.

Realtorfrog

if any player has an understanding of exactly what it is like for the players working their way through the minors i would have to think it is a player whose father works with a mlb club and engages with a variety of players

same with gil and the 3rd baseman from from az that tcu lost last year.

thomas is in interviews prior to the draft had commented that his parents had been teaching him to take care of himself in the event he did sign and go the minors. this wasn't decision made without lost and some idea of the life in the minors.
My point exactly!!

Realtorfrog

That his father who is a strength and conditioning coach should have been able to tell him how bad the low minors are compared to a college education playing pretty close to the same caliber of player.

flyfishingfrog

Why do we or anyone really bother to recruit a kid that is top 100 rated and the son of a former mlb player?

I would truly wonder how many of those ever make any college campus...

I hope they fall into the “it would be nice but we don’t think it will happen” commitment and we have another recruit that is more than plan C and is a lot more likely to show up that we are actively recruiting to fill that same hole in our roster

Otherwise I have a feeling we are going to end up next year where we did this year as far as depth concerns

Blue Jays suck.

maxresdefault.jpg
That was my laptop desktop pic for almost 2 years.

hometown frog

Sounds like Wymer signed his contract today.
Formally I guess that’s the only underclassman in the roster drafted that’s officially signed right? (Unless I missed Lukens signing announcement)

Moose Stuff

Why do we or anyone really bother to recruit a kid that is top 100 rated and the son of a former mlb player?

I would truly wonder how many of those ever make any college campus...

I hope they fall into the “it would be nice but we don’t think it will happen” commitment and we have another recruit that is more than plan C and is a lot more likely to show up that we are actively recruiting to fill that same hole in our roster

Otherwise I have a feeling we are going to end up next year where we did this year as far as depth concerns

They’ll keep signing those kids when they can. What’s gonna happen is we’re gonna start oversigning and sorting it out later if too many of them don’t sign a pro contract.

flyfishingfrog

That his father who is a strength and conditioning coach should have been able to tell him how bad the low minors are compared to a college education playing pretty close to the same caliber of player.
If it were the same level of competition in the mind of the MLB teams than the guys getting drafted out of college would be starting at High A a lot more than in short summer - and that isn’t happening

So I am guessing he might have told him going to college will get you a degree but going pro will get you better experience to make the show if that is the goal

And the money was pretty good

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

They’ll keep signing those kids when they can. What’s gonna happen is we’re gonna start oversigning and sorting it out later if too many of them don’t sign a pro contract.

Yep - because I just don’t see how it makes sense to even consider them a spot on the list when in the last 5 years about 1 in 50 have shown up for college