• The KillerFrogs

MLB baseball draft

FBallFan123

So how many of those guys sign? I’m guessing Baker, Feltman, and Thomas all sign, but it looks like Kloffenstein will make it to campus?

My guess is likely most or all will sign.

Shame, was hoping Kloffenstein and Gil made it to campus, but him going that high suggests he's gone.

Groshans and Kloffenstein being HS teammates....suggest the Blue Jays scouted both heavy, so they probably have a good idea of how signable he is.

And Groshans was an underslot at #12...suggesting they saved money to spend later on Kloffenstein.

TCURiggs

My guess is likely most or all will sign.

Shame, was hoping Kloffenstein and Gil made it to campus, but him going that high suggests he's gone.

Groshans and Kloffenstein being HS teammates....suggest the Blue Jays scouted both heavy, so they probably have a good idea of how signable he is.

And Groshans was an underslot at #12...suggesting they saved money to spend later on Kloffenstein.

I think you're right, which would really suck. Darning Blue Jays

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Blue Jays suck.

maxresdefault.jpg

Bizarro Frog

What is the back up plan if most of your recruits get drafted and sign? Is there a contingency set of guys in the wings that have been told you will have a spot if so and so go pro?

Double V

So how do these picks of our recruits compare to other (cheaper) schools? Obviously, there is no issue with the talented players wanting to come to TCU. Question is, do our recruits routinely take the money and go pro at a higher rate than other schools? Using comparable slots/$$$, of course.

The reason I ask is because the last 2 years have seemingly been less of an issue of TCU vs other schools and more about TCU vs MLB. Curious how/if the higher tuition influences the decisions on school vs going pro.

sdfish

The reason I ask is because the last 2 years have seemingly been less of an issue of TCU vs other schools and more about TCU vs MLB.

TCU loses plenty to other schools. Baseball doesn't receive the recruiting coverage that football does, so we don't see these recruitments play out in public and really have no idea what's going on. We only see when TCU wins a recruiting battle, and even then it is up to the players themselves to make that known to us - TCU doesn't announce baseball commitments. I'd guess the majority of recruits that TCU loses are the in-state ones where the lower tuition costs at A&M and UT are tough to pass up.

The Frogs have done pretty well traditionally getting kids to campus that are drafted. And that probably is a byproduct of the tuition problem that's gotten so much attention lately. TCU is forced to recruit kids that come from families that can afford to pay for a good chunk of a TCU education. So they're probably more likely to defer an MLB signing bonus for a few years.

Look at the types of top recruits TCU gets to commit; just this year you've got Alek Thomas who's dad is the strength and conditioning coach for the White Sox and Mateo Gil, son of former big leaguer Benji Gill. Last year they had Luis Gonzalez' kid, who they eventually did lose to the draft.

Now, Vanderbilt is in another world it seems. Whatever Corbin has figured out is truly amazing. He is DUSTING the rest of the college baseball world in getting elite talent to campus.

Raw Frog

What is the back up plan if most of your recruits get drafted and sign? Is there a contingency set of guys in the wings that have been told you will have a spot if so and so go pro?

Former MSU Coach Polk gave an interesting and informative interview on this subject that was posted in one of the Schloss threads. He is a sharp guy. He basically said that with the 11.7 ships and all of the rules, and none of the money that college coaches are going up against with the pros, that he had to be creative as all get out. His plan A was he had to over promise kids rides, and then see who showed up to campus. Draft or eligibility issues, whatever. Then, if too many made it to campus, he had to REALLY get creative and send some to JC with a plan to bring them back in a semester or two. Very murky waters to say the least. Plan B seems to be the JC guys or graduate transfers.

We have it worse than state schools as everyone knows due to our tuition costs. Partial ships still cost an arm and a leg. Schloss says he looks for players through the 3 P lens. Those that can play, those that can get partial academic scholarships, and those who come from families that can pay the tuition. A tough road to hoe year in and year out...

Double V

TCU loses plenty to other schools. Baseball doesn't receive the recruiting coverage that football does, so we don't see these recruitments play out in public and really have no idea what's going on. We only see when TCU wins a recruiting battle, and even then it is up to the players themselves to make that known to us - TCU doesn't announce baseball commitments. I'd guess the majority of recruits that TCU loses are the in-state ones where the lower tuition costs at A&M and UT are tough to pass up.

The Frogs have done pretty well traditionally getting kids to campus that are drafted. And that probably is a byproduct of the tuition problem that's gotten so much attention lately. TCU is forced to recruit kids that come from families that can afford to pay for a good chunk of a TCU education. So they're probably more likely to defer an MLB signing bonus for a few years.

Look at the types of top recruits TCU gets to commit; just this year you've got Alek Thomas who's dad is the strength and conditioning coach for the White Sox and Mateo Gil, son of former big leaguer Benji Gill. Last year they had Luis Gonzalez' kid, who they eventually did lose to the draft.

Now, Vanderbilt is in another world it seems. Whatever Corbin has figured out is truly amazing. He is DUSTING the rest of the college baseball world in getting elite talent to campus.
Oh I'm sure we lose some, but my point is that we ARE able to attract top talent, even if it's only well-to-do top talent. Curious to know if that helps or hurts when it comes to getting kids to school vs going pro.

FBallFan123

On the bright side, there are quality recruits that should make it to campus.

Matt Rudis didn't get drafted, and Brandon Williamson was taken in round 36, and he's planning on going to TCU. There are others, but those are probably the two highest rated commits that will make it from this class....

Pharm Frog

Former MSU Coach Polk gave an interesting and informative interview on this subject that was posted in one of the Schloss threads. He is a sharp guy. He basically said that with the 11.7 ships and all of the rules, and none of the money that college coaches are going up against with the pros, that he had to be creative as all get out. His plan A was he had to over promise kids rides, and then see who showed up to campus. Draft or eligibility issues, whatever. Then, if too many made it to campus, he had to REALLY get creative and send some to JC with a plan to bring them back in a semester or two. Very murky waters to say the least. Plan B seems to be the JC guys or graduate transfers.

We have it worse than state schools as everyone knows due to our tuition costs. Partial ships still cost an arm and a leg. Schloss says he looks for players through the 3 P lens. Those that can play, those that can get partial academic scholarships, and those who come from families that can pay the tuition. A tough road to hoe year in and year out...

I'm glad to hear someone talk about over-promising kids because that happens a lot...a whole lot...and maybe we do it too. I am very familiar with one school's over-promising practices over the past 4 years or so and it's made me go from really liking a coach to something approaching contempt. That said, I know that I'd be tempted to do the same thing given the uncertainties inherent in the system. The scheduled timing of a lot of these decisions just seems so brutal. But those who can navigate it best have a real advantage (and less expensive schools have a real leg up in the economics of the situation).

flyfishingfrog

I'm glad to hear someone talk about over-promising kids because that happens a lot...a whole lot...and maybe we do it too. I am very familiar with one school's over-promising practices over the past 4 years or so and it's made me go from really liking a coach to something approaching contempt. That said, I know that I'd be tempted to do the same thing given the uncertainties inherent in the system. The scheduled timing of a lot of these decisions just seems so brutal. But those who can navigate it best have a real advantage (and less expensive schools have a real leg up in the economics of the situation).
I am sure kids hear what they want to hear but i get the feeling Schloss is pretty direct about playing time

The good part is we don’t have a ton of defensive subs so if you can play, you will probably get your shot

And we tend to use everyone from the bullpen multiple times a year so they all get a chance to shine if they aren’t being boneheads off the field

We got the younger brother of a guy a few years ago over our two big states Us after the older one went to a big state U and was over promised that they needed his speed and arm in the outfield. in the end, he got stuck on the bench for 2 years behind two guys with better numbers at the plate despite a lot of defensive errors by both - his dad told me Schloss was straight on what he needed and expected and they though his youngest could deliver so he came here instead because of the better matchup and the honesty