• The KillerFrogs

MLB baseball draft

hometown frog

Feltman, Baker, Wymer in that order and I guess all three sign as I suspect all go in the early rounds. (Guess wymer could go in front of Baker.) Dunno if JJ will get drafted or if he will go. (Tell me who our coaches are first...)

I don’t know about our high school signees and their draft forecasts.

Pharm Frog

Wymer, Feltman, and I admit that I don't know the ages of our sophomores to know if anyone is draft eligible. If Lodolo is draft-eligible, I imagine that he will be drafted. And I don't know how common "courtesy selections" are among college players or if that even exists much anymore but I would expect that Landestoy may get one of those if they exist. Still think that JJ will get drafted but there's so much unknown about that situation.

My guess is this (and it's truly a guess):

Baker - gone
Wymer - gone
Feltman - gone
Janczak - gone
Lodolo - gone if eligible

FBallFan123

Of the current eligible Frogs: Baker, Wymer, Feltman, Watson...

Here's how they're ranked by Baseball America, Fangraphs and MLB Pipeline.

Baseball America
https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2018-top-500-mlb-draft-prospects/
Baker: 68
Wymer: 89
Feltman: 94
Watson: 204

Fangraphs:
https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=2018mlb&type=0&pos=all&team=all
Feltman: 80

MLB Pipeline:
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft
Baker: 56
Feltman: 70
Wymer: 85

MLB Pipeline said:
Luken Baker | Rank: 56
School: Texas ChristianYear: JuniorPosition: 1BAge: 21 DOB: 03/10/1997Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'4" Weight: 265 lb.Previously drafted: 2015, 37th (1099) - HOU
Watch
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 20 | Arm: 60 | Field: 40 | Overall: 50

The most intriguing two-way player in the 2015 Draft, Baker could have gone in the second round as a pitcher had he not sent a letter to MLB teams asking them to bypass him because he planned on attending Texas Christian. He turned down the Astros as a 37th-rounder and starred both ways as freshman before straining a muscle in his arm and deciding to focus on hitting. He has continued to produce at the plate but has seen his last two seasons end prematurely with nasty injuries, a hairline fracture and ligament and muscle damage in his left arm in a collision at first base in 2017 and a broken fibula and torn ankle ligaments in his left leg after an awkward slide this April.

Baker's massive 6-foot-4, 265-pound frame gives him tremendous strength and leverage, which along with his solid bat speed gives him power to all fields. Though his size naturally adds length to his right-handed swing, he does a good job of keeping it under control. He has walked more than he has struck out with the Horned Frogs, refusing to chase on the frequent occasions when he gets pitched around.

Though Baker does a good job of maintaining his body and has some athleticism, his size limits his effectiveness on the bases and in the field. He's a well-below-average runner and just an adequate defender at first base. He has shown a low-90s fastball, solid slider and good feel for pitching in the past, but there are no plans for him to return to the mound.

MLB Pipeline said:
Durbin Feltman | Rank: 70
School: Texas ChristianYear: JuniorPosition: RHPAge: 21 DOB: 04/18/1997Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'1" Weight: 190 lb.Previously drafted: Never
Watch
Scouting grades: Fastball: 70 | Slider: 60 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

At Oak Ridge High (Conroe, Texas) in 2015, scouts flocked to see two-way star Luken Baker and barely noticed Feltman, a short right-hander working in the upper 80s during his first season as a full-time pitcher. They've teamed up in college at Texas Christian, where Baker continues to draw plenty of interest as a slugger and Feltman has opened eyes as a power-armed closer. He set a school record and finished second in NCAA Division I with 17 saves as a sophomore last year, then opened 2018 with 13 straight scoreless outings.

Feltman's velocity jumped in the spring of his freshman year at TCU and he now operates at 95-97 mph and peaks at 99 with some running life. His power slider gives him a second well above-average pitch at times, arriving in the mid-80s with some depth. He even can mix in a decent changeup on occasion.

Because Feltman lacks size and features effort in his delivery, he's purely a reliever. Wiry strong and durable, he has taken a step forward with his control and command this year. Intelligent and competitive on the mound, he projects as a possible setup man or closer.

MLB Pipeline said:
Sean Wymer | Rank: 85
School: Texas ChristianYear: JuniorPosition: RHPAge: 21 DOB: 03/19/1997Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'1" Weight: 190 lb.Previously drafted: Never
Watch
Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 55 | Overall: 45

Wymer served as a troubleshooting reliever on Texas Christian's College World Series club in 2017, the fourth straight year the Horned Frogs reached Omaha. Though he was extremely valuable in that role, retiring 35 of the 39 batters he faced while recording two wins and a save during the NCAA postseason, TCU shifted him into its rotation this spring. Though his stuff hasn't been as crisp as it has in the past and he missed time with back issues early in the season, he has still shown enough to factor in the first three rounds of the Draft.

Wymer has four quality pitches and there's little consensus as to which is his best. He'll flash a well-above-average curveball at times, though there are other times when his hard slider is his superior breaking ball. He doesn't worry about radar guns, working at 89-92 mph with a quality sinker, though he can reach back for 95-96-mph heat when he needs to.

As if that's not enough, Wymer can also unveil a solid changeup and fully trusts the pitch. Though he's not big, he's athletic and repeats his delivery, allowing him to throw a ton of strikes and boding well for his durability. He has advanced feel for pitching and mixes his pitches masterfully.

Last edited:

FBallFan123

Of the Frogs commits, the top two names are: Alek Thomas and Adam Kloffenstein, and both will likely get drafted in the 1st or 2nd rounds, so who knows if either make it to campus.

Here's how they're ranked...

Baseball America:
https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2018-top-500-mlb-draft-prospects/
Kloffenstein: 35
Thomas: 57

Fangraphs:
https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=2018mlb&type=0&pos=all&team=all
Thomas: 34
Kloffenstein: 43

MLB Pipeline:
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft
Thomas: 41
Kloffenstein: 43

MLB Pipeline said:
Alek Thomas | Rank: 41
School: Mount Carmel (Ill.) HSYear: SeniorPosition: OFAge: 18 DOB: 4/28/2000Bats: L Throws: LHeight: 5'11" Weight: 175 lb.Commitment: Texas Christian
Watch
Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 45 | Run: 60 | Arm: 40 | Field: 60 | Overall: 50

The son of White Sox director of strength and conditioning Allen Thomas, Alek is a three-sport star at Mount Carmel High (Chicago). If he follows through on his commitment to Texas Christian, he wants to try to double as an outfielder in baseball and a slot receiver in football. Gatorade's 2017 Illinois baseball player of the year as a junior, he has the hitting ability and athleticism to get drafted high enough to forego college.

With his compact left-handed stroke, impressive bat speed and mature approach at the plate, Thomas smacks line drives to all fields. He has no trouble barreling quality fastballs and led gold medal-winning Team USA in hitting with a .361 average at the 18-and-under World Cup in September. Though he's not very physical, his feel for the barrel and sneaky pop should produce at least 12-15 homers per year in pro ball.

Thomas enhances his plus speed with good instincts on the bases and in center field. While he has below-average arm strength, it's playable in center field. His game earns him comparisons to the likes of Andrew Benintendi and Jacoby Ellsbury, and Thomas is more advanced at the same stage of their careers.

MLB Pipeline said:
Adam Kloffenstein | Rank: 43
School: Magnolia (Texas) HSYear: SeniorPosition: RHPAge: 17 DOB: 08/25/2000Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'5" Weight: 220 lb.Commitment: Texas Christian
Watch
Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

Magnolia (Texas) features the best hitting prospect/pitching prospect duo in high school baseball. Shortstop Jordan Groshans may have hit his way into the first round, while Kloffenstein could go that early as well. He kicked off the summer showcase circuit last June with a strong two-inning outing as the first pitcher to take the mound at the Perfect Game National, and he hasn't let up since.

Kloffenstein can work in the low 90s with heavy sink on his two-seam fastball and hit 96 mph with his four-seamer. He has advanced feel for a breaking ball, showing the ability to morph his sharp slider into a bigger-breaking curveball or a harder cutter. He also has a deceptive changeup with tumble that lacks consistency but also can be his best pitch at times.

At 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, Kloffenstein has a frame built for durability and also the room to add some more strength. He's athletic and repeats his delivery well, allowing him to throw strikes. He's a tough competitor who can get overly animated on the mound, but the only real knock against him is that he may difficult to sign away from Texas Christian.

Last edited:

SportsJunkie

Great list everyone! Admittedly, this was my least watched baseball season and not related to their lack of a stellar season.

Need some absolute bad asses to join the team next year.

FBallFan123

Wymer, Feltman, and I admit that I don't know the ages of our sophomores to know if anyone is draft eligible. If Lodolo is draft-eligible, I imagine that he will be drafted. And I don't know how common "courtesy selections" are among college players or if that even exists much anymore but I would expect that Landestoy may get one of those if they exist. Still think that JJ will get drafted but there's so much unknown about that situation.

My guess is this (and it's truly a guess):

Baker - gone
Wymer - gone
Feltman - gone
Janczak - gone
Lodolo - gone if eligible

Back in February, Fangraphs came with an early look at the 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts, with rankings that really don't mean much, just for reference point....

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-rankings-2018-2019-and-2020/

They had...

Lodolo ranked 10th in 2019

Oviedo ranked 8th in 2020

King in 2019 draft

Quinn Priester (HS commit, 2019 class) in 2019 draft

FBallFan123

Feltman has been getting a lot of talk as perhaps the quickest pick to the majors, possibly this year.

Here's Jim Callis of MLB Pipeline and Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs....

https://www.mlb.com/news/which-draft-prospect-will-reach-majors-fastest/c-279080498?tid=167757330
MLB Pipeline said:
The leading candidate for the first draftee to reach the Major Leagues usually is the best college reliever, and this year that's Texas Christian right-hander Durbin Feltman. With a running 95-99 mph fastball and a power slider that give him two well above-average pitches at times, he has logged a 0.74 ERA and a 43/6 K/BB ratio in 24 1/3 innings this spring.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-5-17/
Fangraphs said:
J: Any immediate relief help available in this draft?

Eric A Longenhagen: Maybe, yeah. Durbin Feltman for me.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-fangraphs-chat-5-24/
Fangraphs said:
Topper Harley: Predicted first to the majors from this year’s draft?

Eric A Longenhagen: Durbin Feltman

FBallFan123

Lotta talk about bad bullpens this season and Durbin Feltman could be quick to the majors.

Would be interested to see a team in contention, like the Indians, take him and see if he can help them this year.