• The KillerFrogs

Missouri State....

flyfishingfrog

I also get the feeling it must be a lot more noticeable and thus annoying on tv vs in person at the game

Because while I hear it at games, I don't feel like it's the main thing I notice at all but people watching the games and posting seem to complain about it pretty quickly

James Penny

I also get the feeling it must be a lot more noticeable and thus annoying on tv vs in person at the game

Because while I hear it at games, I don't feel like it's the main thing I notice at all but people watching the games and posting seem to complain about it pretty quickly

I am VERY anti-woo, but this may make sense. I live in Arizona so only see games on TV. May likely be much more tolerable and even enjoyable in person, especially seeing opposing players struggle live. It's pretty brutal (imo) to watch/hear on TV.

bleedpurple

According to some here, the rules governing when to woo and when not to woo are extremely contextual and fairly complicated. So much so that it's hard to blame the average fan for not really comprehending them. Apparently only slightly less complicated than mastering the protocol rules for coronating a new monarch of the United Kingdom.

Sorry, but while baseball definitely has its subtle nuances, it's not nearly as complicated as the self-appointed purist rule-makers make out with all of their "proper time to woo" complaints. Funny thing, but they rarely ever attempt to explicitely define the "proper time" to woo. And when they do, it's even rarer that any two of them actually agree. Everybody seems to have his own unique idea, and there is no consensus. The only thing that they appear to have in common is a brotherhood of effite snobbery against the johnny-come-lately post-season fans.

For myself, I thank the heavens for those post-season fans. They have cheered the Frogs on to many a victory while the season fans have sat silent waiting for the exact proper moment (according to their own complicated rules) to woo. Yet I've heard many a veteran TCU player, in post-game interviews, thank the "unenlightened" fans for their "improper" wooing, spurring the team on and lifting spirits in the TCU dugout.

Perhaps it's time to discard this woo snobbery and simply embrace it for what it is, as the TCU players appear to have done. Yes, it gets annoying. That's the whole point. If it's annoying to even some of our fans, you can only imagine how annoying it must be to the opposing players and fans. I think it has gotten into the heads of oppposing pitchers, fielders, and batters more than once.

Let the woo-birds do their thing as they see fit without all the harsh criticism. If it works, it works, no matter how much you may disapprove.
Question. Will this help if I read or is it really convoluted?

flyfishingfrog

I am VERY anti-woo, but this may make sense. I live in Arizona so only see games on TV. May likely be much more tolerable and even enjoyable in person, especially seeing opposing players struggle live. It's pretty brutal (imo) to watch/hear on TV.
Maybe we should a woo section where there is no field mic close?

Because the other day when someone was complaining about it via posting and I hadn't really even noticed - I did realize the one person wooing was sitting in the front row by the visitor dugout about 5 ft from the field mic so I am guessing it was really loud on the broadcast

TX_Krötenechse

Wow, thanks for that pearl of information. Now everybody else can plan their day, secure in the knowledge of what you did or didn't choose to read.

didnt-read.gif

Ron Swanson

According to some here, the rules governing when to woo and when not to woo are extremely contextual and fairly complicated. So much so that it's hard to blame the average fan for not really comprehending them. Apparently only slightly less complicated than mastering the protocol rules for coronating a new monarch of the United Kingdom.

Sorry, but while baseball definitely has its subtle nuances, it's not nearly as complicated as the self-appointed purist rule-makers make out with all of their "proper time to woo" complaints. Funny thing, but they rarely ever attempt to explicitely define the "proper time" to woo. And when they do, it's even rarer that any two of them actually agree. Everybody seems to have his own unique idea, and there is no consensus. The only thing that they appear to have in common is a brotherhood of effite snobbery against the johnny-come-lately post-season fans.

For myself, I thank the heavens for those post-season fans. They have cheered the Frogs on to many a victory while the season fans have sat silent waiting for the exact proper moment (according to their own complicated rules) to woo. Yet I've heard many a veteran TCU player, in post-game interviews, thank the "unenlightened" fans for their "improper" wooing, spurring the team on and lifting spirits in the TCU dugout.

Perhaps it's time to discard this woo snobbery and simply embrace it for what it is, as the TCU players appear to have done. Yes, it gets annoying. That's the whole point. If it's annoying to even some of our fans, you can only imagine how annoying it must be to the opposing players and fans. I think it has gotten into the heads of oppposing pitchers, fielders, and batters more than once.

Let the woo-birds do their thing as they see fit without all the harsh criticism. If it works, it works, no matter how much you may disapprove.

Basically, if the other team messes up, yell woo.

It's not that complicated

Last edited:

hometown frog

Another verification that it annoys the other team: in bigger games, the opposing team fans will try and woo us back when our team up. You don't typically mimic something that isn't effective in some form or fashion.

Long live the woo!!