• The KillerFrogs

Missouri State....

JogginFrog

That was a fiasco. The interview with the MSU coach afterward was great.

“I don’t think games should be decided in the rain at 3 a.m.,” Missouri State coach Keith Guttin said. “I think you need to ask the umpire what was said because I’ll probably be suspended if I say the truth.”

The umpires met in the middle of the eighth inning with the rain falling hard again. Guttin said the home plate umpire called for the tarp. He said Arkansas coach Dave Van Horn talked the crew out of putting it on the field. Guttin was livid. Moreso, even, after Arkansas scored 4 runs in the bottom of the inning and won.

“Never seen it in 35 years. When the home plate umpire asks for the tarp, generally the tarp comes on.”

For those who haven't seen the pic of that moment:
Rain-ArkMoSt-1000x500.jpg

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I'm not a fan of the "woooing" annoying as hell. I'm sure this is the "real" reason ESPN did not have us on their bigger networks. Who wants to listen to that all night. Yes, I am a TCU fan! Go Frogs!
Umm...no. What, did it take them three years to come to that decision? What, pray tell, will ESPN do this weekend when all the games are on ESPN?

This world is a stupid place. Let's not add to it.

ReedFrawg

Many TCU fans and others dislike it. Annoying is Annoying. Just because you may do it and it's ok with you, does not mean no others should not be annoyed. I'm sure IF your neighbor cut his lawn at 8 am Saturday or Sunday morning you would be annoyed! He may not think it's a big deal, but you would be annoyed! Go Frogs!

Annoying is an understatement...and people just do it obnoxiously when it's completely unwarranted. Sounds so bush league.

El Froggo

That was a fiasco. The interview with the MSU coach afterward was great.

“I don’t think games should be decided in the rain at 3 a.m.,” Missouri State coach Keith Guttin said. “I think you need to ask the umpire what was said because I’ll probably be suspended if I say the truth.”

The umpires met in the middle of the eighth inning with the rain falling hard again. Guttin said the home plate umpire called for the tarp. He said Arkansas coach Dave Van Horn talked the crew out of putting it on the field. Guttin was livid. Moreso, even, after Arkansas scored 4 runs in the bottom of the inning and won.

“Never seen it in 35 years. When the home plate umpire asks for the tarp, generally the tarp comes on.”

Sounds familiar:

"There was no foul for intentional grounding...." *gets yelled at by Arkansas coach**...*throws flag* "...intentional grounding..."

Deep Purple

Many TCU fans and others dislike it. Annoying is Annoying. Just because you may do it and it's ok with you, does not mean no others should not be annoyed. I'm sure IF your neighbor cut his lawn at 8 am Saturday or Sunday morning you would be annoyed! He may not think it's a big deal, but you would be annoyed! Go Frogs!
According to some here, the rules governing when to woo and when not to woo are extremely contextual and fairly complicated. So much so that it's hard to blame the average fan for not really comprehending them. Apparently only slightly less complicated than mastering the protocol rules for coronating a new monarch of the United Kingdom.

Sorry, but while baseball definitely has its subtle nuances, it's not nearly as complicated as the self-appointed purist rule-makers make out with all of their "proper time to woo" complaints. Funny thing, but they rarely ever attempt to explicitely define the "proper time" to woo. And when they do, it's even rarer that any two of them actually agree. Everybody seems to have his own unique idea, and there is no consensus. The only thing that they appear to have in common is a brotherhood of effite snobbery against the johnny-come-lately post-season fans.

For myself, I thank the heavens for those post-season fans. They have cheered the Frogs on to many a victory while the season fans have sat silent waiting for the exact proper moment (according to their own complicated rules) to woo. Yet I've heard many a veteran TCU player, in post-game interviews, thank the "unenlightened" fans for their "improper" wooing, spurring the team on and lifting spirits in the TCU dugout.

Perhaps it's time to discard this woo snobbery and simply embrace it for what it is, as the TCU players appear to have done. Yes, it gets annoying. That's the whole point. If it's annoying to even some of our fans, you can only imagine how annoying it must be to the opposing players and fans. I think it has gotten into the heads of oppposing pitchers, fielders, and batters more than once.

Let the woo-birds do their thing as they see fit without all the harsh criticism. If it works, it works, no matter how much you may disapprove.

Last edited:

Waccy Frog

According to some here, the rules governing when to woo and when not to woo are extremely contextual and fairly complicated. So much so that it's hard to blame the average fan for not really comprehending them. Apparently only slightly less complicated than mastering the protocol rules for coronating a new monarch of the United Kingdom.

Sorry, but while baseball definitely has its subtle nuances, it's not nearly as complicated as the self-appointed purist rule-makers make out with all of their "proper time to woo" complaints. Funny thing, but they rarely ever attempt to explicitely define the "proper time" to woo. And when they do, it's even rarer that any two of them actually agree. Everybody seems to have his own unique idea, and there is no consensus. The only thing that they appear to have in common is a brotherhood of effite snobbery against the johnny-come-lately post-season fans.

For myself, I thank the heavens for those post-season fans. They have cheered the Frogs on to many a victory while the season fans have sat silent waiting for the exact proper moment (according to their own complicated rules) to woo. Yet I've heard many a veteran TCU player, in post-game interviews, thank the "unenlightened" fans for their "improper" wooing, spurring the team on and lifting spirits in the TCU dugout.

Perhaps it's time to discard this woo snobbery and simply embrace it for what it is, as the TCU players appear to have done. Yes, it gets annoying. That's the whole point. If it's annoying to even some of our fans, you can only imagine how annoying it must be to the opposing players and fans. I think it has gotten into the heads of oppposing pitchers, fielders, and batters more than once.

Let the woo-birds do their thing as they see fit without all the harsh criticism. If it works, it works, no matter how much you may disapprove.

Tl;dnr

McFroggin

If it was another school doing it, I'm fairly certain everyone here would hate it.

Disagree. I think the woo is genius and disrupts other teams greatly. Our players and most die-hard fans tune it out quite easily.

I also think bubbles at A&M is good fun. It engages young fans and the old. The ball 5 thing is annoying, and if anything would lead me to throw a nice pitch right up the middle. A&M players are told to wait for a strike, so any juicy pitch would be watched anyway. The very rare times that it works is when a pitcher is so frustrated and done that he should have been pulled anyway.

texasrobster1997

Annoying is an understatement...and people just do it obnoxiously when it's completely unwarranted. Sounds so bush league.
I'm starting to wonder if my ears work differently than some. On a scale of annoying a cheer (Woo) during a baseball game is pretty low to me, regardless how I feel about it. When I read about this debate I wonder how hard life must be to get so easily annoyed...