• The KillerFrogs

Miller was in on 3rd down

hometown frog

So, according to this, the ruling on the field can never be confirmed at the end of a replay. Because by rule they don't stop the game to confirm the ruling on the field.

nonsense explanation.
Also interesting it says the ball was fumbled and recovered. So that means they did not see a knee down to rule the runner down by contact before any point of a video clip we’ve seen online where the ball is ‘near’ the goal line.

Wexahu

Officials botch TCU’s overtime goal-line stand twice in Big 12 championship​

Where they spotted the ball after review on Max’s run was the biggest travesty. I mean, it’s plain as day in review, he was about 4 inches short, and they put the ball two feet further back than that. Inexcusable.

Miller being in was a little more questionable IMO but it shouldn’t have come to that. Maybe if the ball is spotted where it should have been, we maybe do QB sneak it, I don’t know.

Where they spotted the ball after review on Max’s run was the biggest travesty. I mean, it’s plain as day in review, he was about 4 inches short, and they put the ball two feet further back than that. Inexcusable.

Miller being in was a little more questionable IMO but it shouldn’t have come to that. Maybe if the ball is spotted where it should have been, we maybe do QB sneak it, I don’t know.
We have been in the Big 12 since 2012. In each of those 10 seasons, the officials simply cannot properly spot the ball. We see it week in, week out, and that is just the tip of the iceberg on the level of incompetence that is a constant thorn in the side of this conference. I'm all fine with Bathing Apes (whatever the hell that is) but the new commissioner should make fixing what has become the far worst officiating in college football a very high priority.

I agree, the only thing that seems almost certain is that the Max Duggan spot on the 2 foot line should have been only inches from the goal line. That needs the explanation. Everybody watching on TV recognized that. So how the heck did the refs not see in review that Max had extended the ball to only inches shy of the goal line when he touched down. I will guess that somehow just one review ref must have not seen it properly, and diid not confirm with another.

If a correct spot of that Max extension, then the third down Miller run would have likely been in.

Or at that point, being just inches short of the goal line, may be best to run a QB sneak, trusting Duggan to extend his arm and reach the ball across if he has too. And have Miller pushing from behind. They could have done that on 4th down too.

Last edited:
When TCU tied it up in regulation I was confident that they would win in overtime. They are the better team. And if that first OT touchdown would’ve counted I think the defense would’ve knuckled up and closed that game. And if not in the 1st OT, then the second.

Max carried them to those final eight points and in OT. He was inches from finishing it for them. A shame for him and his Heisman candidacy.

In the photo above, look at that all out effort to make a full extension before allowing his legs to tap that turf. I think if that final stretch had made it across he would’ve won the Heisman.

Last edited:

Volare

The problem was the review screen was way at the other end of the field from where the OT action was taking place. (I'm also convinced that's why they didn't review other OT goal line runs that should have been.) Hiroshima Ken (hat tip to this one, whoever came up with it- even better than Hirohito) jogged down there to take a look on Duggan's run, made his announcement, and then never approached the line of scrimmage to adjust the spot of the ball. He just announced "inside the 1 yard line" so the officials on the LOS did just that. From where HK was standing 20 yards away, he couldn't tell anything of what they did. Sheer incompetence. Do your damn job.

PurpleBloodSpitter

3D499E6B-9052-4C77-AD6B-7A63386A838B.jpeg
This is BEFORE Miller even extended. A clear Touchdown taken away from TCU. Total B12 [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] again. They did it to us in 2014 by 3 points on bad calls and did the same here. This year it won’t matter, but this conference needs to get better at this. It’s pathetic.

This was a touchdown
Phantom offensive PI
Non intentional grounding call
Multiple missed defensive PI calls (which I’m fine with if it’s consistent)
Missed false start
Multiple delays of game allowed forcing the frogs to have to snap the ball with no time left (no snap advantage)

Paint It Purple

When your star QB puts the entire team on his back and gets you back to a chance to win, why would you not rely on him to get you another half yard?
Coaching mistake?
I don't think so. Miller is a gamer like Max. He's gotten it done before. It was a good probability call IMO.

Some have suggested running wide. Ask OKState how that worked out last year.

Volare

The replay official was Brad Van Vark. He used to be an on field official. We called him “beaker ref” on here. Do a search on his name on here or google to bring up references of his previous body of work.

They wanted to get it done and didn’t want HK to have to jog to the other end of the field to look at the replay screen.

4 Oaks Frog

I don't think so. Miller is a gamer like Max. He's gotten it done before. It was a good probability call IMO.

Yes, we know that about Miller. So does anyone who has been paying attention…including KSU. With Max under center, any amount of surge forward, and it a TD. Basic football. Besides, Max got us that close, he WOULD HAVE gotten us across…

Rabidfrog

time and again on this forum we have criticized decisions to to wide at the GL. Sonny used to get criticized about this--when if failed.

East Coast

Tier 1

There a pictures out there that indicate the ball was over the goal before Max's forearm and elbow were down. I would have been ok if they marked him an inch, or even as you say 4 inches short of the goal. But yeah, ABC's rules guy was literally disgusted with the officiating crew.

East Coast

Tier 1
time and again on this forum we have criticized decisions to to wide at the GL. Sonny used to get criticized about this--when if failed.
Did you look at the picture? Look where our lineman are, Ali is 2 yards behind the play and Lanz is behind the line of scrimmage because he pulled. It was an abomination of a play call, and the 4th down play was just as bad. If you are going to use Kendre's strength up the middle, just smash mouth it in. Instead, we do a slower developing pull play that allows KState to get at Kendre's legs 3 yards behind the goal. Literally F- on the coaching staff on those 2 plays.

East Coast

Tier 1
We have been in the Big 12 since 2012. In each of those 10 seasons, the officials simply cannot properly spot the ball. We see it week in, week out, and that is just the tip of the iceberg on the level of incompetence that is a constant thorn in the side of this conference. I'm all fine with Bathing Apes (whatever the hell that is) but the new commissioner should make fixing what has become the far worst officiating in college football a very high priority.
The officials have gotten worse as the most competent have retired.