• The KillerFrogs

Mike Stoops out at OU

Horny4TCU

These idiots at large state programs will eat their young at the slightest whiff of a lapse in performance.
Wish we were a large state school...

giphy.webp

LVH

McNeil wasn't the greatest DC at Tech or ECU

I'm optimistic in that they won't be able to fix the defense in 2 weeks and there will be some growing pains

On the other hand we got 2 cracks last year at a Stoops defense and laid an egg both times.

MinFrog

Could be a lingering issue if his players loved him that much. Wishful thinking perhaps.

And contrast that with a guy like Diaco who his players generally hated. And Diaco will be auditioning for a full time role and feeling quite a bit of pressure.

Probably not the most likely scenario, but that team could go sideways in a hurry.

Moose Stuff

And contrast that with a guy like Diaco who his players generally hated. And Diaco will be auditioning for a full time role and feeling quite a bit of pressure.

Probably not the most likely scenario, but that team could go sideways in a hurry.

Perhaps not probable, but possible IMO.

FrogLifeYo

Mike Stoops has been an OU scapegoat for a long time at OU. Ruffin who was named interim DC was at TT during all those years of defensive [ Finebaum ]. He hasn’t been a DC since 2009. Word is he won’t even be calling plays. Supposed their current defense analyst Bob Diaco will move on to game day staff and call plays. Ruffin will be a cheerleader

Mean Purple

So Ruffin McNeill is their new DC?
The dude can coach. I'm shocked he had not already taken over that position. Didn't realize he was on that staff.

Would have preferred to keep Stoops through our game.

That said, bring stoops on as a analyst. I'm sure he knows plenty about that defense.

Eight

ruffin might not be a great dc, but the ou defense hasn't been good since mike came back from az. they would wreck shop when they would get up and the opposing offenses would be forced into a one dimensional game, but struggled in some big games.

look at his history vs texas since he came back and the horns have consistently scored more points in that game than their season average and those were some bad texas offenses under strong.

my concern isn't the immediate fix. they do have enough talent that if they just cut out the dumb [ Finebaum ] and play to their talent they could be tough, but in the long game if lincoln hires a quality dc and that dc brings in a solid staff there is where the problems could come for the big 12. look at the job orlando and his staff has done at texas in a year and half.

TX_Krötenechse

Our offense would have a hard time scoring even if OU didn’t field their defense at all so I’m not sure this will affect our game too much ...

That said, I’ll echo others and say that Stoops has been the weak link in the Sooner staff for years and years, so if they can get a competent DC and continue recruiting at the level they are, in a few seasons they could have a very good squad.