• The KillerFrogs

Midweek Baseball: Frogs v UTA

flyfishingfrog

Honestly - Donati needs to be fired if Boschini was actually this unaware of the situation. It's pretty hard for me to believe.
without any real insight beyond what has been stated - i feel like chances are our Athletic department, and in particular the ticketing team - was not really trying to increase attendance during the year because it was easier to keep the status quo.

VBo took action pretty quickly based on what I do know - and while Maniac is a great and some time overly passionate young alum, he is not exactly a big cigar in the TCU supporter world yet - so I doubt VBo took action simply because it was Maniac asking.

Let's be honest - as I said when the announced the ticketing process for baseball originally - they took the easy way out by just going with one seat for the entire season and beginning at the top of the PP list - knowing full well this would result in a lot of the available seats being empty the majority of the time in a stadium that already had most seats blocked off.

Lots of other schools offered many options to try and increase people showing up - and we didn't try anything new. We even yell at people sometimes when they try and actually sit in the stands.

so why would we have expected they actively try and get more people in seats during the season when they didn't try to do it before the season.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Last night by the seventh inning the student section was empty.
But they still had two security/ushers up there watching over the section.
it had to be cold as all get out up there last night with no wall behind it to block the wind at all.

If I had not been waiting to see if we could run rule UTA and curious who closed out the game for us on the mound - I would have honestly left at the end of 6th - it was darn cold even in the lower bowl beginning about the 4th inning.

It is literally unfathomable that VBo was not aware of the capacity issues as his own school because JD hadn't told him. What is our AD doing? Maniac is doing his job for him. Jd should venmo you for saving his ass.
TCU- where we have a top 10 baseball team that has had 1/3 of the stadium filled because the AD can't pick up the phone and call the Chancellor. Unbelievable

tcumaniac

It is literally unfathomable that VBo was not aware of the capacity issues as his own school because JD hadn't told him. What is our AD doing? Maniac is doing his job for him. Jd should venmo you for saving his ass.
TCU- where we have a top 10 baseball team that has had 1/3 of the stadium filled because the AD can't pick up the phone and call the Chancellor. Unbelievable
Look. I want to be as fair as possible here. There's a good chance this was already in the works and the timing of me reaching out to VBo was purely coincidental. But if TCU and ADJD simply took the time to be more reasonable and transparent with season ticket holders, there wouldn't be any need to speculate.

I'm just glad I can sit in reserved seats for the rest of the season without being yelled at.

Last edited:

Casey T

Anyone know if B12 baseball tourney and TCU's following post-season games will stream on ESPN+? I may get a subscription soon

Pharm Frog

I don’t get it. If they are cramming all the students together in one section with no regard for social distancing, why not just open up the whole damn stadium and sit where you want? The pictures on TV of the games rarely show anyone behind home plate or the first few rows.

Because students are immune after eating free tacos. See TCU tennis.

Purp

With only 12 home games left, what are the chances of getting to 100% capacity? zero?
This sentence from the e-mail made it sound like we can reasonably expect another capacity increase before the end of the season. We already know football is expected to be at 100% in the fall and there are no other revenue sports other than baseball playing between now and football season so I'd assume the near future must mean this season.

“Based on current positive trends in the community, and especially on campus, as well as continuing to follow all established health and safety protocols, we are optimistic about the prospects of being able to raise that 50 percent capacity number even higher in the near future.”

Purp

Anyone know if B12 baseball tourney and TCU's following post-season games will stream on ESPN+? I may get a subscription soon
Pretty sure the conference tournament will be on B12+ or whatever it's called on ESPN+. I suspect regionals/supers to be a combo of regular ESPN channels and ESPN+ and CWS will all be ESPN/2/U broadcasts.

Moose Stuff

Look. I want to be as fair as possible here. There's a great chance this was already in the works and the timing of me reaching out to VBo was purely coincidental. But if TCU and ADJD simply took the time to be more reasonable and transparent with season ticket holders, there wouldn't be any need to speculate.

I'm just glad I can sit in reserved seats for the rest of the season without being yelled at.

We're on pace to be a host so hoping this gets upped for postseason. Make sure you keep VBo in the loop.

PurpleBlood87

Pretty sure the conference tournament will be on B12+ or whatever it's called on ESPN+. I suspect regionals/supers to be a combo of regular ESPN channels and ESPN+ and CWS will all be ESPN/2/U broadcasts.

I'll bet it is on Bally just like it has been in past years.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Just to provide some clarification:

After going to all 3 games this weekend, I just couldn't take the silliness anymore.

The majority of our reserved seats are zip-tied shut. If someone dares to break a zip tie and sit in that seat, they are loudly and aggressively shamed and scolded by TCU staff or ballpark security. While our reserved seats sit mostly empty, except, of course, for the student section that is packed like sardines, people are all but forced to sit on top of each other in the outfield, which isn’t close to big enough to fit all the people that are supposed to sit out there. In the name of safety and social distancing, season ticket holders like me are not allowed to sit in our usual reserved seats. Instead, we are told to sit in the outfield, shoulder to shoulder with people, just like we’d be doing in our normal seats. The silliness and disingenuous nature of it all is mind numbing.

Meanwhile, our athletic director is sending out ambiguous tweets blaming our restricted capacity on the need for approval from an unspecified source.

Under the assumption that we are no longer under any state, county, or city capacity restrictions, I assumed that Donati was implying that we still needed approval from our Chancellor to increase capacity.

I knew Chancellor Boschini from my time at TCU (and really appreciate and respect the man as both a person and a leader), so I decided to reach out to him last night and essentially ask why we were scared to actually "Lead On."

I referenced his Star Telegram interview and his desire for at least one more "Rose Bowl type moment" before he retires, and that while I obviously still hope that Gary finds a way to reach the top of the pyramid, we actively have a baseball team capable of having a Rose Bowl type moment of their own, yet because of a charade of illogical policies, our team isn't able to receive the kind of fan support they deserve.

I referenced Donati's tweet as the reason I was reaching out to him about this issue, and urged him to reconsider our current attendance restrictions, especially as the UT series quickly approaches.

Chancellor Boschini responded first thing this morning and said the current policies had nothing to do with him and almost seemed to not even be fully aware of how things were currently being handled at Lupton... but he promised to look into it and see if he could make some headway.

Later this afternoon, he reached back out saying they had just received the go-ahead to increase capacity.

I still have no clue who is supposedly in charge of approving our capacity policies, and I'm left frustratingly curious... but at least we seem to have made some progress.
@tcumaniac 2024!!!! I'll vote for you.

PurpleBlood87

I was able to upgrade for some games but having just one ticket is a problem because you can't leave a single ticket out there but somehow there were single tickets available in the lower seating for some games. Strange.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
It’s unfathomable for anyone to think he didn’t know. He’s in charge. He attends sporting events. He knows what’s going on regardless of what he may have said to maniac.

Purp

I was able to upgrade for some games but having just one ticket is a problem because you can't leave a single ticket out there but somehow there were single tickets available in the lower seating for some games. Strange.
I've got 3 so I had a similar problem. My work around was to find groups of 4 or 6 and exchange 1 at a time from Friday games that I know I can't make due to soccer games to convert them into sections of 5 or 3. Then I'd take the original 3 for that game and end up with a block of 4. Whatever was left from Friday games and a handful of others I knew I couldn't attend I loaded up on tix for the Texas series. I figure I know enough people interested in those games to be able to get them in good hands. I honestly don't like that I was able to do it that way, but I've been bent over enough times with TCU ticketing I figure I was due a solid. And since I know they'll go into good hands and not some TCU15 online auction for wHorns fans I don't feel guilty.